Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #41
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: *1937 Pickup Windshield Regulator*

Sears sold them, my parents gave me one when I was a kid. They almost always gave me tools for presents!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #42
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
zippi, glad it is open. To clarify, see photo of 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver.
That is really small. That just may have worked. I wonder if anything that small is available now a days???
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #43
zippi

Ok....got the windshield open so now I need new glass and the seal around the frame. Who else has the good stuff and if you have part numbers that would be great. The seal is out of stock at Bob drake. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
Ok....got the windshield open so now I need new glass and the seal around the frame. Who else has the good stuff and if you have part numbers that would be great. The seal is out of stock at Bob drake. Thanks.
Are you SURE? You're the first one that's ever had that problem. NOTHING is ever "back-ordered" at Bob Drake's. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #45
40cpe

Some of the other dealers who sell Drake parts might have one in stock. I got one from C&G Ford parts when Drake didn't have it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
zippi

Thanks for the help guys. I have a local glass company that has the pattern for the glass and the rubber seal so I'm good there. What I'm looking for now is the so call clip that holds the regulator handle to the dash. Can not find such a clip. Anyone have a pic are know exactly what they are called?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #47
zippi

Looks like the clip for the crank handle is hanging on the crank shaft. It's hard to tell what type clip it is and why it would have came off. Can't get any of the screws that hold the windshield to the regulator or the upper hinges loose. What is a good penitrating oil to use to try and loosen these screws up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_075956.jpg (38.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #48
SofaKing

What is a good penitrating oil to use to try and loosen these screws up?[/QUOTE]

I like PB Blaster but I don't know if it will ruin your paint. I would not use the often recommended acetone and ATF mixture because of the acetone and what I expect it might do to the paint. One thing I will suggest is make sure your screwdriver blade fits the screw slot well and is as long as possible for extra torque. If the screwdriver has a square shank use an open ended wrench on the shank for additional torque and lean into the handle with as much body weight as you can muster. A couple sharp raps with a hammer on the handle with the screwdriver in the slot can help loosen the screws as well.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #49
37 truck

There is a warpy washer, and a circlip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170723_150820.jpg (21.7 KB, 21 views)
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #50
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 truck View Post
There is a warpy washer, and a circlip.
Thanks for the pic. My clip is dangling around the crank shaft inside the hole in the dash panel and the washer is on the front of the dash panel. Waiting on my new crank to show up to see if it works ok on the crank shaft as the spline looks workable. We'll see.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #51
zippi

Quote:
What is a good penitrating oil to use to try and loosen these screws up?
I like PB Blaster but I don't know if it will ruin your paint. I would not use the often recommended acetone and ATF mixture because of the acetone and what I expect it might do to the paint. One thing I will suggest is make sure your screwdriver blade fits the screw slot well and is as long as possible for extra torque. If the screwdriver has a square shank use an open ended wrench on the shank for additional torque and lean into the handle with as much body weight as you can muster. A couple sharp raps with a hammer on the handle with the screwdriver in the slot can help loosen the screws as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm stopping by Pep Boys tomorrow to see what the have in the way of penitrating oil.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #52
zippi

Ok....I'm calling on the experts once again. I have used Liquid Wrench on the screws and they are not budging. I need to have this frame on the workbench where I can really soak the screws. On the bottom I can leave the regulator arms attached to the windshield frame and pull the regulator with the windshield. On the top there are 8 screws as shown in the pic that hold the bracket and hinge mechanism in place. My question is, if I pull all the screws on both sides of the windshield frame will the hinge mechanism pass through the opening in the upper panel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The last resort is always to drill them out. Not ideal, but often required. If you do drill them be sure the drill bit is centered and you are drilling perpendicular to the hinge.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #54
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The last resort is always to drill them out. Not ideal, but often required. If you do drill them be sure the drill bit is centered and you are drilling perpendicular to the hinge.
Yup. Probably will have to drill or grind them out but I'd like to have the frame on the workbench doing this. Do you think the upper hinge mechanism will pass through the opening? I can get all those screws out and the regulator can come out with the windshield frame.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #55
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I don't know, need someone with experience with trying that. I would sure want help removing it, you don't want to damage the paint!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #56
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I don't know, need someone with experience with trying that. I would sure want help removing it, you don't want to damage the paint!
Yeah....when I get ready to pull the frame out I'll get the better half to help me. Just trying to figure out the easiest way to get the windshield out so I can work on getting the screws out on the workbench. Once I get it apart I'm going to paint the frame black before I send it to the glass shop to have new glass and the gasket installed. For what little they are charging me it doesn't make any since for me to try and figure it all out.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #57
SofaKing

I cannot tell from the picture if your hinges are like the ones on my 39 but they look the same from the angle in the photo. On my 39 each side has a hinge assy made of two arms. The arms attach to the windshield frame with two clevis pins secured by very small cotter pins. Remove the clevis pins and the frame separates from the hinge. and it will slide out of the hole in the upper panel. Or just remove the upper panel...

My experience is Liquid Wrench is not as effective as PB Blaster though I cannot explain why.

The four screws in your picture hold the serrated plates together that allow you to align the frame in the cab opening. You may not need to loosen them.

Did you get the screws out of the top dash cover? I seemed to have missed something in this thread.

Put some towels on the hood when you and the missus get ready to remove it. Next up will be separating the frame halves. Fun fun fun.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #58
zippi

Quote:
I cannot tell from the picture if your hinges are like the ones on my 39 but they look the same from the angle in the photo. On my 39 each side has a hinge assy made of two arms. The arms attach to the windshield frame with two clevis pins secured by very small cotter pins. Remove the clevis pins and the frame separates from the hinge. and it will slide out of the hole in the upper panel. Or just remove the upper panel...

My experience is Liquid Wrench is not as effective as PB Blaster though I cannot explain why.

The four screws in your picture hold the serrated plates together that allow you to align the frame in the cab opening. You may not need to loosen them.

Did you get the screws out of the top dash cover? I seemed to have missed something in this thread.

Put some towels on the hood when you and the missus get ready to remove it. Next up will be separating the frame halves. Fun fun fun.
Thanks for the input. I don't have a pin to remove so I was wanting to just take all the screws out of the adjusting mechanism and slide it out the opening in the top panel. Just don't know if it will fit through the opening. Once I get the windshield frame off I can soak the screws good and have a better shot at getting the screws out.

Once I got the windshield to crank out I was able to get to the dash panel screws and I have removed it. I can remove the windshield frame with the regulator attached so I just need to get the top out.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #59
37 truck

All the windshield screws are a bitch! I broke off half of them, then had to drill. You might try a impact driver like a 12 volt Milwaukee. They seem to work sometimes, but if they don't they seem to break them off. I did remove my windshield with part of the top hinges in place, but it is tight.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #60
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
Once I get it apart I'm going to paint the frame black before I send it to the glass shop to have new glass and the gasket installed. For what little they are charging me it doesn't make any since for me to try and figure it all out.
Yo.........DON'T FORGET those MORONS we talked about earlier that run that glass shop. YOU had better try to have it ALL figured-out before you send your valuable stuff to those guys. REMEMBER, they don't give a rat's butt about you or your truck, and their best tool is a hatchet. My main point here is this.......just remember how hard it has been to get ANY of these screws out, and then remember that those screws that separate the top half of your windshield frame from the bottom half AIN'T gonna' just unscrew out of that frame.........THEY NEVER DO!!! And them morons are gonna' attack it with their best tool (the hatchet)! You had better deliver it with the bottom and top pieces separated already. You've been warned above that those screws ain't no easy job. Plus, the morons are gonna' ruin your black paint job, too........just the way it is! Just meant to be some friendly advice, Mr. Zip. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote