Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Aok

Question Rear brake adjust wedge removal

Have a problem with the rear brake adjuster wedge it turns but does not seem to click in like the other side not sure if its the wedge or the threads, rest of the brakes look good.
Do I have to remove the shoes can I just remove the wedge.

2nd question to remove the entire rear brake unit after I remove the 4 bolts that hold the housing do I also need to remove the arms that the brake rod connect to. I have the em brake shoe off and 4 bolts loose but it seems like the arms that connect to the brake rod will also need to come off. Was reading the les andrews book and it just said remobe the 4 bolts but the arms seem to hang up
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: Rear brake adjust wedge removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
Do I have to remove the shoes can I just remove the wedge.
2nd question to remove the entire rear brake unit after I remove the 4 bolts that hold the housing do I also need to remove the arms that the brake rod connect to.
Answer to 1) You can remove the wedge without removing the shoes-BUT it is difficult to replace it without removing the shoes. (two good pry bars can help do this by stretching the rear pull-off spring sufficient to snick in the brake shoes)
Answer to 2) You cannot remove the emergency brake unit without removing the arm first. In fact if you need to remove the entire brake unit ( emergency brakes complete with service brake ) it is often easiest to remove the back plate in its entirety complete with arms and then dismantle it all .on the bench

Last edited by johnbuckley; 03-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote