Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
32Gnu

Default Another ???

Originally when a 32 left the factory were the rear "inner fender" areas painted the same color as the car or were they black to match the fenders say if the car were blue?
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Another ???

I don't know about the 32s but Ford started painting fender wells black on the model As somewhere after start of production so that lighter body colors wouldn't show under the cars. Dark body colors may have been skipped but I'm not certain about that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
xix32

i think this is original paint ( washington blue?) in the wheel wells on this 5w body i have.
xix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Pat/Ohio

I have seen them both ways. What say you Dave? Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Floyd

I believe dark color cars had the wheel well area body color. Light color cars would be painted black. Probably same as model A. Washington blue would be painted in the wheel well area. That is what I am going to do on mine when I finally get to the painting part.
Floyd
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Hotrodvideo

That is a super nice '32 body! Where did you find that???
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Lawson Cox

I believe fender wells were painted body color. I just cannot see old Henry going to the trouble to mask off the wheel well and paint it black. I know on 34-36's they were body color.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
David J

I have a May 33 production Old Chester Gray 5w that has black wheelwells , fenders and aprons . Unquestionably gennie paint . Yeah I know the question is about 32's but if Ford did this in May 33 I would think there's a chance some 32's had this done . I agree with the above posts about the dark colored cars not having this done . Black fender's on lighter colored bodies was not real common after 33 . No reason to do this if fenders are body color . On page 7-35 of the ev8c 33-34 book there is a pic of a 34 5w rear wheelwell showing the crows foot and it is cordoba gray - not black . David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
David J

Tom , Here's the pics of gennie May 33 Old Chester Gray . As you can see from the before pic this is well preserved in the good areas . The person that did the brush job scuffed the car with steel wool and that is how I removed it . The paint you see in good areas isn't weathered as it is fresh surface . The paint chip in the EV8C book is pretty darn close to the paint on this car . The orange stripe matches up with the orange in the same book Anyone else have this color scheme ? - Black fenders and aprons & cream wheels . Black rear wheelwells . If you need more pics Tom let me know . David J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (64.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2379.jpg (45.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2380.jpg (44.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
32Gnu

Wow.. Thanks David... The color my guy mixed for me today is little darker than that. And is also 800.00/gallon because it is a color that is only availible supposebly in PPG "concept", I about choked! I asked him if was going to shoot it too..

Think I'll look around a bit.. I want my paint nice, however... Kids, college, food...
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
David J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Gnu View Post
Wow.. Thanks David... The color my guy mixed for me today is little darker than that. And is also 800.00/gallon because it is a color that is only availible supposebly in PPG "concept", I about choked! I asked him if was going to shoot it too..

Think I'll look around a bit.. I want my paint nice, however... Kids, college, food...
Tom , Try Auto Color Library ph # 858-909-2110 . Pt # RSP AE-D-GL for a gallon and pt # RSP AE-D- QT for a quart . $155 gal and $52.95 for a quart . I've used PPG " concept " and for the HIGH price I wasn't overly impressed . I 'm one of the many that think black is the only color but this car has changed that - I like this color with the black stuff and cream wheels - jury's still out on the orange stripe though . Good luck David J