Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
barnstuf

Default Need 1963 Carburetor Part Number ID

I have two carburetors acquired from a Ford dealer with 1963 part numbers on the boxes, but I do not have a Ford parts book that new, and to the Ford dealer that number is too old to look up. An interesting conundrum! I hope someone can look these numbers up for me.

C3-9510-AZG

C3-9510-AZU

I am hoping for a fit with a 1965 (made in August 1964) Mustang 289 V8 standard shift. If not they are for sale.

Thank You
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Need 1963 Carburetor Part Number ID

Those are some odd part numbers. The prefix looks incomplete. Should be like C3AF.
The third digit (A) for example would identify the vehicle line. "A" would be full size passenger car. A Mustang carb part number would be for example C5ZF-9510-C. The "Z" means Mustang. There are many original carbs that will work on Mustangs too, but have a different part number.
It's possible the part numbers you listed are service numbers that I don't recognize.

If you don't care about 100% originality, a passenger car carb would be a lot cheaper. The actual Mustang carbs are getting very pricey.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The mustangs were mid 64 cars to begin with so a lot of number prefixes would begin C4 unless the carbs fit other cars and year models. Carburetors were generally model specific due to changes in throttle control, dashpot, or choke set ups. Sal is on the money about the rest of the prefix missing. Those last two alpha prefix digits are very important for application information. Ford was bad about marking stuff with part numbers that weren't necessarily complete assembly part numbers. On Autolite carbs, they always put a little tag on them too. It was generally attached somewhere on the float chamber top flange interface.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
barnstuf

The carburetors are Ford Authorized Rebuilt, not brand new, if that makes a difference. The box ID had no other data. The boxes remain sealed but I may open to make a visual matchup.

My Mustang, which I bought new in 1964, does not need a carburetor but I thought it might be nice to have a spare, like buying an insurance policy you never need. So far the only parts replaced are radiator hoses, distributor cap and tires.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Need 1963 Carburetor Part Number ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post

I have two carburetors acquired from a Ford dealer with 1963 part numbers on the boxes, but I do not have a Ford parts book that new, and to the Ford dealer that number is too old to look up. An interesting conundrum! I hope someone can look these numbers up for me.

C3-9510-AZG

C3-9510-AZU

I am hoping for a fit with a 1965 (made in August 1964) Mustang 289 V8 standard shift. If not they are for sale.

Thank You

In addition to the two missing PN PREFIX characters mentioned, if these are FORD REMAN, they were catalogued in a REMAN catalog. You would need that catalog to definitely identify the exact application it was intended for. Usually, reman were calibrated for more applications than OEM.

You may find CARB ID NOS. on the original carb and these could lead you to the original application(s) for re-sale.

C3 indicates 1963 model year on this example.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
scicala

Or end the mystery by opening the boxes and looking at the part numbers stamped on the carbs or tags with part numbers. I don't believe they will be any less valuable just because the boxes have been opened. The answer is in the boxes. The Ford authorized rebuilder must have their own numbering system.

Sal

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
barnstuf

I will open the boxes and check with the original carb on the car. It will be a few days before I visit the Mustang again. Thanks!