Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
mtnmice

Default Substitute Tranny fluid

It turns out that I MUST take the 30 Coupe out this afternoon (long embarassing story) and I don't have any 600 wt at hand. For a ten mile trip what would be best, GO 80/90 or STP or something else that can be found at Auto Zone/Wally World?

Dementia is a terrible thing.....
mtnmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
kwisor

Default Re: Substitute Tranny fluid

hello
i have a 30 tudor i use lucas heavy duty oil stablizar in tranny and the wine is less and shifts just fine no problems
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Your 80/90 is going to be fine for that short of a trip. The heavier weight lube just aides in shifting and quieting of the gears along with being slower to leak. Enjoy your trip!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
ford3

use 140w gear oil and a can of stp, will work
xlnt and no need to change it
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Jim Brierley

Any brand modern oil, 85-90 wt. or even 140. 600 was state of the art in '28, not now but gear metal is the same or very similar, why stick with obsolete oils??? Don't use straight STP, it is not a lubricant.

Last edited by Jim Brierley; 04-07-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added info
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
ford3

stp is not a lubricant, its an oil inhancer, makes oil much slipperer and will not be scrubbed off, so many guys dont read the whole post, i never said to use straight stp
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
V4F

lucas heavy duty oil stablizar + power punch . good to go !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Patrick L.

As the fellas said, 90 wgt will be fine, 140 wgt even better. Please, don't near that Lucas stabilizer crap.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=mtnmice;627155]It turns out that I MUST take the 30 Coupe out this afternoon (long embarassing story) and I don't have any 600 wt at hand. For a ten mile trip what would be best, GO 80/90 or STP or something else that can be found at Auto Zone/Wally World?

Dementia is a terrible thing.....YES, and our vocabulary doesn't contain sufficient words to completely describe it. "ROBBERY" is fairly good. Bill W.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
mtnmice

Thanks for the helpful words, guys. The problem self solved as it turned out that I didn't have to roll the Coupe after all. Tomorrow a call to Davin at Smith and Jones and I will have the 600 wt by Tuesday afternoon mail. Gotta love em.
mtnmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Any brand modern oil, 85-90 wt. or even 140. 600 was state of the art in '28, not now but gear metal is the same or very similar, why stick with obsolete oils??? Don't use straight STP, it is not a lubricant.
Jim, gear design is different today. Pressure on gear face surfaces is high in the stock Model A. That's why they used the 600W lube.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
ford3

Jim/TX, this is one instance i strongly disagree with you, there in no place where more pressure is applied to gears as in a diesel truck hauling 80,000#, and they use 140w in trans and rear end, and they run over a million miles with minimum of wear, 600w oil is old school, 85 yrs out of date
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Joe K

Gosh. I will NOT admit to using 100 percent STP in my transmission!

Joe K
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I think what started the thing with STP as a gear lube was when the MARC technical director stated that he used straight STP as a steering and gear lube. I tried it in my 31 tudor and it worked good for several years. I noticed that my other model A's with the gear lube that Bratton's and Snyders sells shifted way easier and quicker. When I tried to drain the transmission, the STP wouldn't drain out and I ended up having to use a heat gun and heat the transmission case to get most of it out. Never again will I use straight STP as a gear lube. That said, a person learns best from their mistakes. I don't know about whether there is more strain on the model A gears than modern cars but I used 90-140 or whatever gear lube that was available at local service stations through the seventies and the model A gears shifted good. I have had transmissions fail in the past but none had been overhauled with new bearings. Back then, if they didn't jump out of gear I just run them until they failed.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
garyaodell

Try Amsoil 240 wt, very close to 600wt in viscosity and makes the transmission shift easy
garyaodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

A friend's Model A has a '39 V-8 trans, he FILLED it with STP! It was TOO slippery for the synchro braking rings & totally foiled the synchro action & it shifted like a stock Model A. Took him forever, with the trans top off, to WASH all that CRAP out using solvent/gasoline/and even lacquer thinner, then it took even more driving for the synchros to SLOWLY begin to do their job again. I HOPE NO ONE EVEN THINKS ABOUT USING STRAIGHT STP!!! It ain't a gear oil, it's just some sort of slippery booster??? My thought is, as an additive to motor oil, it CLINGS well & helps on a dry bearing situation on start up. Don't put too much, as Model A's motors are primarily GRAVITY lubricated. I've used it at half recommended amounts with multigrade oils. With straight30 weight, I think it would be too thick to flow well! A fair rate of flow is necessary to keep bearings cool.(But what do I know?)
If I live long enough, I will build an oil cooler pan for my "A" engine. A friend, in the '50's built one for his Flathead V8 powered "Hardtop" oval track car. Drilled 5 or 6 holes in the front & back of the lower extremity of the pan to accept lengths of 1/2" copper tubing with the front of each flared out quite large. Then he had a radiator shop guy silver solder them in! He had an engine oil temp guage & it did make quite a difference in oil temperature. Bill W. (The Dog wasn't around then, so he can't back me up on this!)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Keith True

I've used barrels of 80-90 gear oil in bulldozers.All straight cut gears.I know hypoid is supposed to be used with spiral cut gears,but I have an AC HD 11 bulldozer that specifies hypoid for the bull gears in the final drives.Those gears are 4 inches wide.A few years ago I wanted to get the odd mixtures out of my A's,so when I parked them for the winter I took the drain plugs out.In the spring I went to refill them and found I was out of 240 wt oil.I put 90 wt in planning to drain and refill,but I've never gotten around to it.They do weep more though with it.Shifting isn't a problem,although on the worn out one I have to be careful when it gets hot.Todays junkiest gear oils are better than the good oils of the old days.At least that's what the Shell rep told me.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
700rpm

Ford specs said 600W. It's available, so that's what I use. I trust Ford's engineers. If 600W wasn't available, then I'd have to make some other choice; but since it is, my choice is easy.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
ford3

the ford specs are 80 yrs old, any gear old now is 500% better than any oil back then, ever ask why ford used 600w? the answer is because thats all he had, he also used non detergent oil, and look how that worked out, just because ford specs from 80 years ago say use some thing doesnt mean they are the best, just what was best then, think about it

Last edited by ford3; 04-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
spdway1

<------Helper Here, He had me buy this??? Not much noise...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeusd1-SACU-4902193.jpg (21.6 KB, 84 views)
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote