Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
nhusa

Wink I’m impatient and gotta have answers.

A few weeks ago I moved a 1931 Model A into my garage and the next week I left on an overseas business trip. The A had been my dad’s and I drove it to high school numerous times in 61 and 62. Dad got sick and it went into storage in 1964. I had hoped to wait until I got home next week to figure out more about the car and then overload you with questions, but curiosity has gotten the better of me and I can’t contain myself anymore!
Since it has 3 windows down the side I assumed that it was a Town Sedan so all I needed to do was figure out if it was a Briggs or Murray body but a one post suggests that there was also a Standard and Deluxe sedan with 3 windows. I took a bunch of pictures after squeezed it in the garage but most of them are on my home computer so I only have a few. I know this is a lot to ask but can someone tell what I have from the pictures?

The first two are when we pulled it out of the barn and the second are after I got it home.

Also I noticed that the rear bumpers are missing. The brackets are still there but the bars and hardware are gone. I assume that there is a pair on each side. When I did a search for replacements, I saw that the 31’s were different from the earlier ones. This opens two questions what is the difference and should my car have the earlier or later ones? I will most likely try to find used replacements because shiny new ones will look way out of place.

I intend to order the Model A mechanics handbook part 1 (about $35 from venders ) and the Judging standards book but need to wait until I return to the US because I am not comfortable in giving out my CC #s on the internet from Asia. In the meantime I am getting impatient.

The first thing that I’ll have to do get it running – since it sat for almost 50 years I suspect that the 6 volt battery is tired and will need charging. (Ok I’m joking) Is there an inexpensive alternative to spending lots of money on a new 6 volt battery that will get me thru the cleanup and debug phase of this project? I have a few 12volts batteries but am sure that if I use one of them would it would play havoc with the electronics (again kidding) electrics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pu front adj.jpg (97.3 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg pu side adj.jpg (82.3 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg inside big.jpg (19.4 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg side big.jpg (21.1 KB, 494 views)
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: I’m impatient and gotta have answers.

Nice car, lots of potental! You can pick up a 6 volt battery at Tractor Supply, About 90 bucks.There is a new one that opened last week, 20 miles north of you on Rt.11. The 12volt battery will take your bulbs out. Starter wont care but when you get it running, the generator wont charge right. Best off to invest in a proper battery. Else you will be adding complications while you are trying to troubleshoot.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

OK, The fact that the car has 3 side windows in it's self does not mean it is a town sedan.

If the cowl lights are original then yes it's a Town Sedan (160B)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 10-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
1930artdeco

Looking at the interior shot, granted it is small, but I don't see a center arm rest. Which is usually indicative of a TS that and a dome light above the rear window. Although, I have been told that the center arm rest was deleted after a certain date. I am not sure of the differences between a delux and a TS. I will let other people chime on the body manufacturer.

Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
nhusa

Thanks.

I am pretty sure that the cowl lights are original - as is the whole vehicle
I think I remember there being a dome light from the old days and I know there is a curtain for the back window
My dad was the second owner and all we did beyond maintenance was drive it

When I get home I'll get out the shop vac, clean it up, slow down the rust with
Marvel mystery oil -( what's in it is a mystery to me) and then see if I can get it going again

It looks like my dad put some oil in the cylinders and turned it over a bit because the crank was hanging out so i am hoping the motor is free

I will most likely do the same that I did with the T - mystery oil the cylinders, let it sit for a few days, then slowly turn it over with the crank - I will follow that with drain the oil and flush the crankcase with kerosene - put oil in and see what happens

When I did the T - I was warned that it is best to "see what happens" with the car outside because the initial smoke killed every mosquito in town.

This a picture of the A's older sister and garage mate. We were ready for a parade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (81.7 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by nhusa; 10-20-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This may also help,

http://31ford.dougbraun.com/
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Tudortomnz

Nice looking Model A Town sedan. With the cowl lamps & deluxe garnish trims on the door frames, unlikely to be a low volume Standard Fordor. The ''Slant Windshield'' Fordors did not have a fold down centre arm rest. These Fordors [ Slants] were assembled by Briggs, Murray & Ford & are basically identical.
Get it running, make sure all works safely & drive it!
Buy a good workshop manual, eg. Complete Model A Manual by Les Pearson.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
nhusa

Mike thanks for the link. It is amazing how many things I remember about the car when I see pictures. For example I remember the rear window controls, the hold handle across the back of the front seat, and the rear arm rests.

I wonder what I will find under the rear seat!

Tudor --- I didn't think it had a center arm rest and that had me a bit confused Good to know that the Briggs & Murray did not have them. Thanks for the clearification.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Great Lakes Greg

That is a fantastic barn find, even though it wasn't really found, as you knew it was there the whole time. You are really going to enjoy this process, and the guys on here that know a lot more than I do will have all kinds of useful insight.
I think the rear bumpers are longer and have more curve to them for the Fordor Sedans. I agree, new ones would stand out too much.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Aerocraft

It might be worthwhile to consider hooking up with a local Model A Club. There are always folks in the clubs who are very helpful in bringing a new owner up to speed in caring for the car. Plus, you will develop a new circle of friends. Always a great bunch of guys and gals!

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Roadster62

Looks like a nice project, I'd just clean it real well get it running and continue to enjoy the memories. I think I read somewere that the door hinges have a makers mark to help ID the body maker, unless there is a plate on the firewall under the patent plate. My Dad's roadster hasn't run in 30 years, engine is stuck & soaking as I type this. Bob
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
QGolden

Yup, your on the right track.
Look in the fuel tank with a light, if it looks pretty clean with light surface rust, good to go for now, you can filter it as you run it in and deal with the tank later.

Drain the oil, watch what comes out first, if there is water coming out first, then you need to formulate "plan B" if not, drain it and don't refill it with oil just yet. In case you gotta' pull the pan.

Then, Just try to crank it first, it might surprise you, iff'n it won't crank, pull the plugs, put in some Marvel into each cylinder, let it set. I think, (with no data to back this up) that MMO is A light mineral oil, mineral spirits, some type of a Benzine, red dye, and Wintergreen oil so it has a "mysterious smell" about it. But it does work, the Mineral Spirits "creep" into rusted areas, bringing in the oil. I am a fan of Kano Labs "Kroil" as well. But hey, if it will turn over head for the distributor, check your timing and look for spark. If you have spark, and it cranks over by hand, FILL THE OIL, put some fuel in it, turn on the fuel valve under the dash, look in the sediment bowl to see fuel filling it. If it looks like fuel and not coffee, open the GAV a half turn, set the choke, stomp you feet three times, turn around twice for good measure, and fire her up!

I am not very far away, call me if you need a hand.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Great car and looks real solid.

As you are going to do...look it over real good.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
pat in Santa Cruz

commonly called a "Slant Window", it was the largest A sedan Ford made. The body is 8 inches longer than a straight window fordor, with better leg room. The steering column is set lower too, which makes them a very comfortable driver for long touring. The body is almost all steel, a real plus for restoration, as body wood can be a nightmare, and steel bodies stay straight better. Whether or not its Briggs or Murry, there are several places where the company stamped their marks, like behind the dash on the center mount or on the window regulators, but parts do interchange between the two. The rear bumperettes on a Slant are different than other cars. You might try Berts for some originals if they have any. If the dome light is in the rear and the switch for it is on the door post, its a town sedan, aka 160-B. Odds are it is, as they were the most common. I have 160-a, std sedan, same body without the fancy garnishes and dome light nor arm rests. Its still my favorite A for driving. You have a very desirable car there.. have fun getting it back on the road.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

Looks like a great car! As noted, it's a 1931 160-B Town Sedan. Some had either a Briggs or Murray body tag on the right front (passenger side) firewall. If it does you will know right away who built the body.

Production of the 160-B began 3/7/31. Your particular car was built no later than May 1931. There is about a 98% chance it has a flat firewall with the gas shut-off valve inside the car under the gas tank.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
jim1932

Watch where you have it when you start it the first time. In addition to the smoke mentioned, mine shot mouse nests and turds 10 feet behind the car. I guess they nested in the tail pipe.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Watch where you have it when you start it the first time. In addition to the smoke mentioned, mine shot mouse nests and turds 10 feet behind the car. I guess they nested in the tail pipe.
"TURDS OUT THE TAILPIPE", now thet's FUNNY, Jimbo, Dog here, Whin Ol' Bill fires up Vermin, I'll watch fur them, "maybe" we can shoot 'em into Kyle & John's garage across the street! They shot us once with a BIG tater gun, loaded with hair spray, BUT they MISSED LOL Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CANNON.jpg (7.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
"TURDS OUT THE TAILPIPE", now thet's FUNNY, Jimbo, Dog here, Whin Ol' Bill fires up Vermin, I'll watch fur them, "maybe" we can shoot 'em into Kyle & John's garage across the street! They shot us once with a BIG tater gun, loaded with hair spray, BUT they MISSED LOL Buster T.
Hairspray? This guy's got his share of hairspray! I heard it was Donald Trump's father
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donald's father.jpg (51.1 KB, 121 views)
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
nhusa

QGolden - Your on my list!
I won't say which one but you are allowed to guess!

I am getting home this week but heading for Mexico on Monday -
After that my schedule is a bit sketchy because I might have to return to China for a short time in Nov or Dec.

I hope to look at the A and clean it up a bit this weekend but will not start anything big until early Nov.
Now that I know what to look for, I hope to have some answers and more questions.

Meanwhile I will re-introduce myself to the 1919 T and do at least one more ice cream run with my granddaughters.

I'll also prepare the T for the annual Thanksgiving ride in "great grandpa's car" when the whole family shows up at our house.
The A will not be ready for rides but it will be a bit cleaner and folks will be able to sit in "great Grandpa's other car".

(PS - I am dad and Grandpa - not great grandpa! )
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Doug in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post

Production of the 160-B began 3/7/31. Your particular car was built no later than May 1931. There is about a 98% chance it has a flat firewall with the gas shut-off valve inside the car under the gas tank.
What do you see in the photos that tells you that the car wasn't built after May?

Doug