Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
Dave in MN

Default Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I'm sure that Dave was looking at you 'dry' remarks, that you made in yesterdays comments at 11:41 entry...as was I.

Assembly of this puzzle (engine) is a detail oriented operation. Even professional auto technicians make (expensive) mistakes. Don't hesitate to have others help you to inspect what you've done.

One missing piece of this puzzle can ruin all.
Good luck !
hardtimes, Exactly. In post #44 it looked like the plan was to check the clearance with Plastigage devoid of oil and that would lead to false readings.

My intention is not to rile anyone. The reason for my post was to make sure Plastigage is used correctly to avoid false clearance data. I also wanted to point out that the aluminum foil method of determining bearing clearance is not fitting for insert bearing engines.

I have assembled over 200 engines over the past 10 years converted over to insert bearings. Insert bearings require a precise fit. Too little bearing clearance and they will dramatically fail, too much clearance the engine may leak and eventually the bearing will fail. Install them correctly and keep the oil clean and they will run for years. My '29 Phaeton has 98,000 miles on the original insert bearings and it leaves no trail of oil.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote