Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
345winder

Question 1940 ford with 9" rear , wheel cylinder question in regards to brake line size.

This may have been asked many multiple times. i have searched but cannot come up with answer , and i know i am overthinking it.

1940 ford (actually merc, but for question purposes we will say ford) with stock drums up front 9" in rear with 11" drums. manual master

I have not ran any new brake lines yet, i can go either way, but was leaning on sticking with 1/4 lines.

MY QUESTION IS : If sticking with 1/4 lines is it as simple as screwing adapter into my later wheel cylinders to fit the 1/4 lines ? (or proper fitting 1/4 tube 3/8 thread ?)

I have ran a similar setup on a 34 tudor i built 10 years ago or so, but i cant for the life of me remember what i did LOL ,joking aside it seems like at the time i found the proper fitting at the parts re-sellers and just reflared the 1/4 line with a correct size thread fitting for the later wheel cylinders. but haven't been able to find the thread fittings .
345winder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 1940 ford with 9" rear , wheel cylinder question in regards to brake line size.

I've done quite a few customer chassis with this brake combination and right or wrong I've always used 3/16th lines. Since these have all been hot rods I also used #3 stainless braided lines on all 4 corners. As much as I hate to admit it I've had good luck with Speedway fittings. I can't remember ever using 1/4 inch line on any of the 100's of customer chassis I've plumbed over the years.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:00 PM   #3
derek costello

Default Re: 1940 ford with 9" rear , wheel cylinder question in regards to brake line size.

Me too: I have done dozens of fords with 3/16" standard lines with 9" ford rear ends with 10" and 11" drums with 11" and 9" discs on the front. and 3/16"
line have 3/8" 24 threads per inch fittings.........
Your 1/4" lines are for fuel..........
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:35 PM   #4
rustythumb

done this on a couple of cars (12"lockheeds on front, 11" bendix on back ) with 1/4 " lines ( just because that"s how henry did it ) & parts store adapters & it always worked fine. the only bender i had was a 1/4 imperial so thats what i was comfortable with. 3/16" or 1/4" , doesn't really matter.
rustythumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:00 PM   #5
345winder

thanks for the replys . the more i think about it im sure i ran 3/16 on that 34 i mentioned and just changed the fittings at the front hoses. or maybe even found the right front hoses with the right size fitting for a 3/16 line, ,thats been several builds ago and have always used 3/16 before and 3/16 since.
345winder is offline   Reply With Quote