Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Halogen's What is the top and Bottom

hey guys, i know this has been asked but could not find the answer. I just got in some new 6v halogens from Mikes A fordable and which side goes UP in the socket??? there are no marks on the bases but what you see in these images... Basically 1 filament is a V and the other is more []. Thanks All

National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Halogen's What is the top and Bottom

The offset filament goes up, should be lit on low beam ----or you could try one up, one down and see which works better

My bulb has a line for "top"---the filament doesn't show in thepic, the line does.

Don't forget to adjust the focus --otherwise you might as well use a candle
Marcos site has a good example - http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/lamp_focus-2.htm

I thought you had a high output alternator, 35 watt bulbs are generator bulbs, you should be able to run 65 watt with alternator, i am going to try 35/ 50 watt with my generator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.JPG (114.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 03-22-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
The offset filament goes up, should be lit on low beam ----or you could try one up, one down and see which works better
Which to you call the offset....the V or []??? and yes i can try them both ways, but want avoid handling halogens as much as possible always.
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Skibb

My car's halogens blow the low beams time after time. I'd buy you coffee and a dozen donuts from the best donut shop in Jupiter if you have the answer.

Last edited by Skibb; 03-23-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
My car newly fitted with the halogens, blows the low beam time after time. I'd buy you coffee and a dozen donuts from the best donut shop in Jupiter if you have the answer.
check your alternator output. Mine was doing that ( sooo expensive!!) and it was putting out 9 volts instead of 6-7, which fried the filaments. It needed a new regulator installed.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
klawockvet

Use relays for high and low beam.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Which to you call the offset....the V or []??? and yes i can try them both ways, but want avoid handling halogens as much as possible always.

I would call the V the offset and I agree that is "probably" the low beam and it goes to the top. The high beam should be the filament that is dead center, which is the []. I wear a welding helmet to look at them when lit. Then you can see the difference.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
In the top picture, the left side of the bulb is the top, so the numbers shown on the base will face the right side (passenger side) of the car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

The filament that is in the center is high beam, the offset from center is low beam, that goes up.

I have had mine out several times for pictures, even fondled them with bare fingers, but I put them in holding with paper towel or tissue, then wipe after installation

In one of my modern cars the lens was broke, at first I couldn't find one, then I was lazy, after about 6 months I finally got to it, the bulb hadn't burned out, but it had a lot of debris burned onto it, it even got wet in the rain so good quality bulbs are quite durable
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In the top picture, the left side of the bulb is the top, so the numbers shown on the base will face the right side (passenger side) of the car.

TOM so the numbers should face the passenger on both bulbs and it will be the top.
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
msmaron

Quote:
My car's halogens blow the low beams time after time. I'd buy you coffee and a dozen donuts from the best donut shop in Jupiter if you have the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
check your alternator output. Mine was doing that ( sooo expensive!!) and it was putting out 9 volts instead of 6-7, which fried the filaments. It needed a new regulator installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Use relays for high and low beam.

You might want to read this post I have...it might help answer some of you "popping" issues and no you DON'T need Relays...there is no need at all

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98853
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
msmaron

Quote:

Skip this can also be one of your issues and others, Below is a repo and original light socket.. you can clearly see the difference in the way they are made. The original on the TOP and RIGHT,. ,see the contacts, small not touching, see the wire out of the back.. This corrected some of my issues immediately
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6305.jpg (32.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6303.jpg (38.8 KB, 23 views)
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan

Last edited by msmaron; 03-23-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: words
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
P.S.

Mark-
The bulbs should be mounted in the sockets so the printed numbers face the passenger's side of the car, as Tom said.

Quote:

Halogens are different from regular bulbs in that they run much hotter than regular bulbs. The heat produced by halogens needs to be bled off, or "dissipated" somehow for the bulbs to last a long time. Since halogens will not tolerate so much as a fingerprint on the glass without producing a hot spot, the heat must be dissipated through the base.

You guys using those halogens that fit into the stock Model A sockets are not providing a way to dissipate all the heat, and it's no wonder your bulbs blow out. Even an over-voltage situation should be tolerable to halogens for a while (despite the exponential rise in heat) as long as the heat has somewhere to go. In the stock socket scenario, you have a bulb cooking itself to death inside an oven (sealed headlight bucket).

If you want to run halogens in your Model A, then run the kind with the flange base on them so that the heat is transferred from the bulbs to the reflectors and then to the whole bucket. Like these-

You'll also notice the connector used on the back of the flange type halogens is different. This socket is designed for the additional heat AND the additional current required to operate them. That's just as important to operate halogens. Your stock sockets were never intended to have that much current pass through them continuously.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Skibb

Thank you Mark, Pat, PS and Klawokvet... looks like it's four dozen donuts and a bunch of coffee.... all around. I'll start on this Monday..... The Boss and I taking the Blue Ridge Tour on 4 or 5 May. headlights are important. My high beams work and are adjusted lower so as not to permanently blind on coming drivers. I'd really like high and LOW beams to work.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
OL JENNY

If you have a NUREX alternator and blow multiple halogen high beam filaments, is there anyway to live with the alternator instead of buying another? What type of relays would you use. $200.00 for NuRex + $150.00 for another alternator !!
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
P.S.

If your NuRex is working properly, and you have the flange type halogens (installed properly, of course), then you should not blow any halogen bulbs at all. I've had the halogens in the car for 8 months and do a lot of night driving, including dozens of hours of Christmas light touring this last December, and have not had a single problem.

There is one trick to follow, however. Be sure that the alternator is engaged before turning the lights on. In other words, when you first start the car, you have to "goose" the throttle before the alternator kicks in and you show a charge on the ammeter. Do not turn the lights on until after the alternator has begun to charge.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
OL JENNY

I went through 5 NARVA (German) bulbs, did all the alternator things, bulbs burn perfect until the engine is started and alternator excited, and the low beam burns perfect but the high beam will burn out within 10sec . Switch wires and low beam lasts on high beam wire and high beam burns out on low beam wire. I have grounded lights back to battery. I found "AutoLamps" (British Company) brand bulbs 6v H4 and they have not burned out, but seller does not want to mess with British Royal Mail again so I can not find back up bulbs. I think some NuRex regulators do not work as they should.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
msmaron

NU REX alt do have a set rate of 7.4 +of- .4 so you can be going as high as 7.9 and you will BURN out halogens real fast, I was...read my link above and you can see how it was corrected....

You might want to read this post I have...it might help answer some of you "popping" issues and no you DON'T need Relays...there is no need at all

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98853
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL JENNY View Post
What type of relays would you use. $200.00 for NuRex + $150.00 for another alternator !!
YOU do NOT need relays to run halogens, that is ridiculous...read the feed i have posted and you will see about the nu rex and the headlights..
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
OL JENNY

Mark I have read your very good post on solving your problem. You replaced your $200 dollar NuRex alternator with another $140 (now $150) alternator that does a better job of regulating the voltage. I considered this, but it seems like a waste of $200 so I thought there may be some way to live with the NuRex. Currently my "Autolamps" brand Halogen bulbs have not burned out, but I know my NuRex voltage is not as correct as you achieved with your new Delco Alternator. I for one appreciate the wealth of information you provided to all of us "Barners" with your solution. I guess I might also switch alternators.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
msmaron

ok also there has to be a reason the nurex is putting out that much voltage to begin with.. do you have a water battery that has a bad cel and it is compensating to charge it...that was my main issue and that is why i switched to the optima
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
OL JENNY

It is a new, 6mo, water battery, but I had better check it to be sure. Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
jrelliott

You can replace the regulator in your altenator easily, if you feel that is the problem. Check the voltage with an ohm meter with altenator working. Voltage should be 7.2 to 7.4 volts. NAPA should be able to supply you with the replacement regulator. If you put in any new bulbs, clean them with alcohol and handle with a clean cloth to prevent any fingerprints or grease fom accumulating on the glass. This is especially true with the highh wattage bulbs. Learned this when running movie projectors years ago. I do have the p/n for the 12V single wire regulator if anyone wants the p/n send me an email [email protected]
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
AL in NY

Mark, did you even try the "unusual halogen from Vintage Bulb"? I believe they were 55/60 watt bulbs.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
imtb

P,S. What type are these where are they available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Mark-
The bulbs should be mounted in the sockets so the printed numbers face the passenger's side of the car, as Tom said.

Halogens are different from regular bulbs in that they run much hotter than regular bulbs. The heat produced by halogens needs to be bled off, or "dissipated" somehow for the bulbs to last a long time. Since halogens will not tolerate so much as a fingerprint on the glass without producing a hot spot, the heat must be dissipated through the base.

You guys using those halogens that fit into the stock Model A sockets are not providing a way to dissipate all the heat, and it's no wonder your bulbs blow out. Even an over-voltage situation should be tolerable to halogens for a while (despite the exponential rise in heat) as long as the heat has somewhere to go. In the stock socket scenario, you have a bulb cooking itself to death inside an oven (sealed headlight bucket).

If you want to run halogens in your Model A, then run the kind with the flange base on them so that the heat is transferred from the bulbs to the reflectors and then to the whole bucket. Like these-

You'll also notice the connector used on the back of the flange type halogens is different. This socket is designed for the additional heat AND the additional current required to operate them. That's just as important to operate halogens. Your stock sockets were never intended to have that much current pass through them continuously.
imtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtb View Post
P,S. What type are these where are they available?
Readily available at Brattons, Berts or any of the other major suppliers.
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Mark, did you even try the "unusual halogen from Vintage Bulb"? I believe they were 55/60 watt bulbs.

AL have not yet... i will report of course
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
msmaron