Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #21
56markII

Default Re: Complete Wiring for '51 Mercury

Meanwhile my prices in Canada are higher than yours and ripping out the entire harness and rebuilding sounds like a great deal of time for something questionable. Mine isn't a BS rat rod or custom as well and when I replace the harness I want cotton covered. Narragansette made harnesses for my Continental but things sound like a Shitshow on their end since Ed died. After I posted my question earlier I searched around finding complaints etc. including unanswered emails or the phone not being answered. Their online catalog I can't find anymore either. I phoned this afternoon as well and the phone rang off the hook so it's most likely no longer in business and after Ed passed away there are no new posts on their Facebook page as well.
My Continental also has the molded rubber ends on the connectors like the typical mid 50's up into the 70's as well. I will phone Rhode Island Wiring tomorrow and see what options I have.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 PM   #22
VeryTangled

My first go-to move is Michael Driskell also know as Third Generation Automotive or 35fordtn here. A little birdie told me they have the same harness builder contacts as a few other vendors that are not raising a small woman that will end up schooling all of us... Rock on Charlotte

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
CA Victoria

A word of encouragement,
to re wire your car or at least to make some of your harness should be within reach. I re wired my 1950 F1 from the original Ford diagram. Albeit was time consuming with a little preplanning it came out well. I used larger rolls of wire, bought terminals in bulk, and used black plastic wrap as used on later model cars to finish each run. Every thing you need is available and economical if you avoid small auto parts type packaging.
Making as original with solder on bullet connectors would be easy too, just a bit more time is all.
If I had to do it again I would buy/borrow a wire label maker to make permanent address tags.
If you are interested send me a pm I can share more.

If you decide to go with a professionally made harness my vote is in for Tyree Harris.......
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #24
WABOOM

Thanks a bunch.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #25
56markII

After doing more research including contacting Rhode Island Wire it sounds like Narragansette is a total crash and burn Shitshow and finished for good! Rhode Island doesn't do anything with molded connectors like my Continental has. After searching I discovered an outfit called Y&Z
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com
They told me they make anything 1965 and older including rubber molded connectors that Rhode Island doesn't make. Rhode Island also mentioned they don't have enough room or the equipment for the newer and the expense is prohibitive. I mentioned to them why not get the needed equipment from Narragansette? He said even though the company is toast the sons (his relatives lol) want a ridiculous price for something they won't be using.
Y&Z also mentioned they build to factory spec and even Laquere the cotton wire to give it resistance to oil and grime.
This is an expensive route to go all around but my Mercury is totally stock and has been this way since I purchased it in the early 80's so I guess I can splurge on making it look like new.
Also my Continental is fully loaded for power accessories including A/C and building a harness with automotive shop supplies sounds like a step backwards.

As for Y&Z the only problem they have is for considerably older cars that used armored wiring harnesses which they admitted they got the armor conduit from Narragansette but they are looking for alternative sources as well. My wiring in the Mercury is rubber or tape wrap if memory serves correct and if it is they duplicate this with rubber wrap and if cloth bound they have the special tooling for using a fabric enclosure as well.

Anybody here ever use Y&Z or heard any positive or negative feedback?
As for other expenses, well my tires are made in New Zealand and Jesse at Coker roared out laughing and said we haven't had them made in New Zealand since the 80's which is when I purchased them and now they are bald so this is another expense as well. He told me this after seeing a recent picture of the car with the Firestone Deluxe Champions on it still appearing to look very good! Those damn tires are expensive and I might go for Goodyear Deluxe Super Cushion with the 4 1/4 Wide Whitewall.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote