Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #441
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Tom, I'll have to check into the non-club "club jackets", bumper plaques, Hats, T-shirts, etc. I think it would be cool to expand the group beyond the "Cigar City". I know that things of this nature are much less expensive when purchased in larger quantities so, before I go much further, I'll have to see what kind of interest (if any) there would be to purchase the aforementioned items, to be able to price them realistically.

Maybe we should take a survey. If anyone is interested please let me know what item(s) you would want, how many you would want and your size (where applicable). You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks, we'll see what develops.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #442
Vic Piano

Wow... this morning there were at least a half a dozen request for Jackets, plaques and T-shirts with the Cigar City Flatheads Logo on them, in my email. I was not expecting to go beyond just using the logo(s) for our local "non-club" car club and some possible videos.

I appreciate the interest and I'll check pricing on minimum orders of all of the above.

Next question; for those that are interested. What color(s) T-shirts and what color(s) & style of Jacket would you be interested in? I'm assuming that the "plaque" would be aluminum and could be painted (by you) to complement your vehicle.

Thanks again for the interest. Vic
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #443
Vic Piano

This week (on a lunch hour) I got the new upper steering column bushing installed in the '39 CS and tomorrow, with a little help from my friends, I'll attempt to adjust the steering box, to see if I can get rid of some of the play. I took the car out for a drive and the new bushing does make a big difference.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #444
Vic Piano

Well, I got absolutely nothing done on the cars today... I did undertake the seemingly endless task of cleaning the garage...

I got the '39 CS and the '47 Rag Top out of the garage and swept and mopped the floor.

I know the garage doesn't look too clean in the photo but believe me, it took a gargantuan effort and now I've got to put everything back in... Now I'm too tired to even think about washing them tomorrow...
Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #445
Lawson Cox

Vic, you know a clean garage, like a clean desk, is the sign of a sick mind don't you? LOL. I don't know where you get all of your energy.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #446
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey Lawson, you haven't seen my desk; I call it organized chaos... I don't know where this burst of energy came from, but it got up and left about three hours ago... I don't think I'll ever get the garage really clean... Good thing this is a three day weekend...LOL
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #447
Vic Piano

The Mountain "Barner's Bash" & the Moonshine Festival are just seven weeks away, I'll be posting more info on what we are planning for Friday, Oct. 26th as things come together. I sure hope a lot of "Barner's" can make it.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #448
Vic Piano

2012 Mountain “Barner’s Bash” & Moonshine Festival

Pictorial Itinerary

After seeing all the super photos from the New England Tour, I thought it might be a good idea to put together a pictorial of what you can expect to see at the Mountain “Barner’s Bash” & Moonshine Festival.

Friday, October 26th, the “Barner’s Bash” tour begins at 8:00am at the Old Sautee Store, in Sautee, Ga.

We’ll depart at 8:30am and cruise with a stop at Nora Mill (grits ground on site)

Then on to Helen, (possibly do breakfast)

Next we’ll embark on our road trip with a quick stop at Goats on the Roof

Where you can pick up snacks and/or top off the cooler or pick up a Coon Skin Cap!

Now we’ll drive back toward Cleveland

And on to Dahlonega (for lunch)

After lunch we’ll continue our cruise over to Dawsonville and Thunder Road

For the Friday night cruise in and swap meet.
Saturday the Moonshine Festival is in full swing in down town Dawsonville and at Thunder Road as well. If you are driving a Flathead or other antique/classic/hot rod, etc. you can pre-register for the car show at Thunder Road (Google Moonshine Festival/Care for Kids) or you can register on site. I think the registration fee is $20.00. The Moonshine Festival continues through Sunday.

This is just a sampling of the activities planed for the weekend, I hope you can join us.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #449
Vic Piano

Cigar City Flatheads Update

There has been a modicum of interest from “Barner’s” with respect to ordering items Such as T-Shirts, Jackets, Bumper Plaques, Hats, etc., bedecked with the Cigar City Flatheads logo. It was never my intention to go beyond our local group but, if interest continues to grow, I’ll look into having the most requested items made. I’ve done promotional items (for business) in the past and I’ll check to see what the minimum runs are on things like T-Shirts, to make sure we can price them reasonably. I’ve started a list of the people and the items they have requested so, if you are interested, please email me at: [email protected]. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #450
Vic Piano

Ah, the weekend fast approaches and that means Flathead play time here in the Cigar City Flatheads Garage aka my house... For the last few weeks we've focused our attention on getting several cars ready for the trip up to North Georgia for the Mountain "Barner's Bash" and the Moonshine Festival from October 26th to 28th. The last word was, Steve & Mike are planning on being here (we installed new shoes on the rear of Steve's '46 Coupe last time) and we'll check out the brakes on Mike's '41 Coupe and see if there is any adjustment left in the steering box on our '39 CS, after that its time for oil changes and lubrication on all three cars.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #451
Vic Piano

Well, we had more strange weather here this morning so, between the rain downpours, Steve and I shuffled cars around in the garage so we could put the '39 CS up on the lift and attempt to adjust the steering box. In the midst of all the fun Bob showed up to lend a hand, followed closely by Mike. We attempted to perform a shim removal adjustment, which yielded negligible results so; we decided that it was time for pizza... My wife commented that the steering box was just like me, old, worn out and non adjustable...
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #452
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Well, we had more strange weather here this morning so, between the rain downpours, Steve and I shuffled cars around in the garage so we could put the '39 CS up on the lift and attempt to adjust the steering box. In the midst of all the fun Bob showed up to lend a hand, followed closely by Mike. We attempted to perform a shim removal adjustment, which yielded negligible results so; we decided that it was time for pizza... My wife commented that the steering box was just like me, old, worn out and non adjustable...
Your wife sure has you pegged Vic. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #453
Vic Piano

Lawson, I told my wife that she was a lot like the '39CS as well, sometimes temperamental but always a classic beauty...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #454
Shadetree

Vic,
What do you do about this horrible gasoline we buy? With all of your cars and truck, I know they can't be driven much.

Bud
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #455
Vic Piano

Bud, I do try to drive (the ones that are running) as much as possible, but you're right, this stuff they are calling gas really makes a mess if you leave it in the gas tank for too long. I've had good luck so far with the "new" rubber diaphragm (KenCT) in the fuel pumps and I've got electric fuel pumps on two of our Flatheads that, so far, have been ok. I also use MMO and Sea Foam in the gas tanks, and a product called Red Koat as a gas tank sealer. Vic
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #456
BILL WZOREK

Vic:
Many on here that are not snake oil salesmen promote the use of MMO.
Others promote Sea foam.
You use both,Being a guy I " DON'T " read instructions,How much of each do you use ????

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #457
41ford1

Bill,

Some is enough more is better. How's that.

I also use both. I've been running MMO inthe summer 8oz to 12oz per about 10 gallons of fuel. During the minimal driving winter months I also use a bottle of Seafoam or 6oz Stab-bil per tank full.

Chuck
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #458
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Vic:
Many on here that are not snake oil salesmen promote the use of MMO.
Others promote Sea foam.
You use both,Being a guy I " DON'T " read instructions,How much of each do you use ????

BILL W

Bill,
First, what are instructions... LOL Second, I installed "Ampo" top oilers in both the '39 LZ and the '39 CS and I use MMO in them. Sometimes I use MMO in the gas and, if the vehicle has been sitting, for some time, I drizzle some MMO down the carb to help clean things up plus it is a great mosquito killer... I use Sea Foam (a full can) when I top off the gas tank, about every other fill up. I've been using MMO for as long as I can remember and Sea foam for about 10 years now. I my opinion, they are just about the best additives for the fuel system in a Flathead.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #459
Vic Piano

After a somewhat disappointing weekend from the car and weather perspective, I decided to try and do a little more to the '39 CS in preparation for our trip up to the Mountain "Barner's Bash" & Moonshine Festival. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a set of Autolite 216's, STP & some 85-140 gear oil for the transmission and rear end. First I cleaned up under the hood,

tightened up all the hose clamps, checked for any visible cracks in the rubber hoses (water. gas & vacuum) and then I decided to top off the steering box with STP. Naturally, I couldn’t locate any of the right size funnels to be able to pour the STP into the steering box without making a mess… That’s enough fun for today…
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #460
Vic Piano

Does anybody have a '38 or '39 Ford convertible Sedan with the Robe Cord and brackets in it, if so, can you post a photo? The cord and brackets must have been removed from our car when the upholstery was redone (I think some time in the early 60's) and I would like to replace it. Thanks, Vic