Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #1
tudor87

Default 31 Tudor “C” pillar placement to subrail

My subrail has completely rusted away where the “C” pillar is rivited to the subrail. I am building a complete subframe and need an exact measurement of where the 3 holes are located on the subrails. Can anyone help me, please?
tudor87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 31 Tudor “C” pillar placement to subrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor87 View Post
My subrail has completely rusted away where the “C” pillar is rivited to the subrail. I am building a complete subframe and need an exact measurement of where the 3 holes are located on the subrails. Can anyone help me, please?
I am unfamiliar with the term 'C Pillar' as it references a 55B body, and so I am going to assume you are speaking of the Quarter Pillar where it attaches to the Rear Floor Side Sill. If you would, please take a picture of exactly what you are asking for, -and where you want the measurement to reference from, and I will look it up and give that to you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:14 AM   #3
tudor87

Brent, thank you for the quick reply and for helping us with the correct model A terminology. Hopefully I’ve attached two pictures showing my dilemma with the rear floor side sill (it’s completely useless). I was able to source two pretty usable quarter pillars from Steve at Bert’s. If you could provide me two measurements; one, from the center of farthest aft rivet of the passengers side “B” pillar to the center of the farthest aft rivet of quarter pillar. The second measurement; from the center of the forward most rivet Of the 3 rivets of the rear sub-frame, again, to the center of the same farthest aft rivet of the Quarter pillar. Thank you and I hope these pictures come through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A00363E-29A1-4E55-83B6-7F9BB396A31C.jpg (48.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DCF53EB4-92CB-4396-BED7-834125E96734.jpg (46.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Since at least one of the quarter panel braces needs to be fit with the quarter panel itself then you might try getting the quarter fit with its braces first then start the process of fitting the body sub rail or sill to the complete quarter panel. I never rivet anything till I have it located. I used magnets, clamps, clecos, and even screws if I have to while making sure that any holes I drill are small and easily patched in case I get it wrong the first time. After every thing fits then I mark all the key locations for where they fit and start the process of drilling and riveting things back together.

All the new reproduction metal replacement structure and panels come undrilled if they are available at all so it makes it difficult to piece a body back together but not impossible. Having a body with severe damage and corrosion is a real challenge.

If the OP hasn't already, check out B. Terry's restoration pages on his web-site. There is a photo spread of a 1930 Tudor Sedan restoration on there.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-14-2022 at 12:40 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:39 PM   #5
tudor87

Thanks rotowrench for the reply, it sounds like a plan. I’m flying blind out here sometimes and these inputs and assists helps greatly, thank you