Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #21
Bud

Default Re: Getting the model B transmission together to swap into my 29 Tudor

I have a Model B Transmission and housing in the For Sale Classifieds here on the Forum. I also have two Half-Flywheel Housings I would be willing to sell as as well.
The transmission does not have a shifter tower. If anyone is interested please contact me. Thanks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
Fred A

Default No Actual structural support?

Start with the Model A flywheel housing. 95% ARE CRACKED at the same two bolts! Ford engineers noticed but they waited for the Model B to add strength to the engine/trans attachment. The A driveshaft acted as a lever forcing the trans up when propelling and down when braking. The two lowest bolts from the housing to the block took all the stress with nothing supporting below the center of the crank. The cracks are difficult to see but those that know where they are look for the 5%. Perhaps even better among things A are the heavy duty flywheel housings, mostly diamond foundry, meaning post production. Even those can crack. The Model B completely supported the driveshaft thrust with the K-Member. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #23
Paul Bjarnason

Default Re: No Actual structural support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Start with the Model A flywheel housing. 95% ARE CRACKED at the same two bolts! Ford engineers noticed but they waited for the Model B to add strength to the engine/trans attachment. The A driveshaft acted as a lever forcing the trans up when propelling and down when braking. The two lowest bolts from the housing to the block took all the stress with nothing supporting below the center of the crank. The cracks are difficult to see but those that know where they are look for the 5%. Perhaps even better among things A are the heavy duty flywheel housings, mostly diamond foundry, meaning post production. Even those can crack. The Model B completely supported the driveshaft thrust with the K-Member. Good Luck: Fred A

I have my '29 Tudor apart right now, so inspection would be easy. Where should I look for the two spots where cracks often occur on the flywheel housing? Thanks. Bj
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #24
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Default Re: Getting the model B transmission together to swap into my 29 Tudor

In the area between the center and the locating pins, and then into the area where the motor mount is bolted.