Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Chris/Mass

Default I'm afraid I'm running out of time....

I have a '36 cabriolet that I inherited from my Dad. He bought it in the early 60's and never touched it. I've been accumulating parts for several years but I don't think I have the time or money in this economy to attempt a restoration. The car is pretty much totally disassembled. This is a list of what I have: EAB engine, spare front end, complete set of Bradley floorpans, Bob Drake running boards, Spare windshield in rechromed frame, spare chassis, all original fenders (rears need repair), set of Westcott rear fenders,spare pair of taillights, grille that my father bought years ago (Argentinian), Bob Drake hood ornament. I'm sure there are other small items I'm not thinking of. Any ideas on value? Thanks.
Chris/Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
mfrk
BANNED

Default Re: I'm afraid I'm running out of time....

Go to ebay & search sold items & that should be a starting place
mfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
mfrk
BANNED

P.S. And Im in the same boat as you about the time Im trying to make a 49 ford woodie that ive had for years just roll on its fully corvette suspended tube framed chassis & probably sell it that way these corvette chassis alone are fetching $20K so Ill see what happens
mfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
VeryTangled

My opinion. First we assume the buyer is a reasonable person. The best '36 Cabriolet on the planet may bring upwards of 60k on a good day. A very nice award winner about 40 plus or minus two or three. A driver in the mid 30's to high 20's. A pile of parts has to be a good chunk less than that, maybe ten?? The guy who gets it could very easily get under water without a lot of effort. Hundreds of ours of work and dozens of disasters before it's sorted out again. Again just my opinion.

-VT/Jeff

Edited: Reading again, and all this depends on condition (have mice pee'd in it?) it does really help that you've invested in the floorpans and running boards, but unfortunately that is not going to bring a lot more money. Maybe you separate those pieces out?

There are two frames? That helps the buyer. The rechromed windshield is worth more than a few hundred easy, it costs more than that to do the chrome work. There are lots of good parts, but still, a lot of parts and not a running car. Tough problem.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 04-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
KiWinUS

Very Well put Tangled !!! thats the Truth !
Been there also !!
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
NYfatboy

If he wants 10k its too cheap! Has anyone tried to buy one lately? I am looking to get a body and can't even get a fiberglass one for less than 4 K. Chris/mass, let me know !
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
bart78

Post some pics. There are many factors for a disassembled car. What condition is the body in. What about the motor and trans? What condition are they in. What is missing? A lot of factors. Don't be in a hurry and do your homework. If you don't have to sell it but think you might want to. Price it high and if you sell it you sell it. If you have to sell it. Don't over price due to emotional reasons. Or you never will.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Mart

As you have not stated any condition of the original body, it isn't easy to forecast the value.

A few pics will help a great deal.

Sorry to hear you wil be bailing on the Old Man's car, but a car like this will be bought by someone who does have the dedication to see it through.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
woodypecker

Take some pictures and place it in the classifieds for a price that would make you happy. And see what the response is. It is easy to come down in price but hard to go up. You might also place it in the HAMB classifieds.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Project cars are all over the place in value at the current time. I've seen a few nice project cars with the more favorable open car or coupe status being offered for the $18k to $25k range. Some sell and some don't. This is a tough time to sell a project car when you can pay $10k more and get a pretty decent driver car. It takes a lot more than $10k to restore one of these cars.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

I am probably in the same boat. Have more projects to do than I have time left to do them in. I have a completely disassembled all original low mileage '35 standard tudor slantback sedan that I took apart in the early 80's. I have the frame/chassis all back together and the body sitting on the frame, but that's the way it has been sitting in the garage for the last 30 years. Other cars/projects came along that took my time and interest away from getting this sedan back together. I have recently thought of selling this complete but disassembled car. I would not be willing sell this car for any less than $12k because of the pristine original condition of all its parts, however, I do realize that not many people would be willing to pay that much for what some would call a basket case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-2drStd21804-1.JPG (59.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 35-2drStd21804-2.jpg (77.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 35stdbdyonfrm3.jpg (61.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 35stdbdyonfrm7.jpg (60.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 35stdbdyonfrm5.jpg (61.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 35stdbody.JPG (100.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 35stdbody-frame.JPG (103.8 KB, 76 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-20-2013 at 09:52 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Chris Nelson

I have had the exact same experience with the very same modell and year car. See pic to left. It started out as a rusted out hulk, but it came with a lot of brand new parts worth thousands as well as an extra frame that was like new and Bradley foor pans. It took $10,000 to have the body sheet metal (everything from the floor up 6 inches) work done by a very talented guy. It took 10 years to get everything accomplished. Even my neighbors marveled at my persistance in getting it to a painted and running finished state. Now it is my pride and joy and I drive it every chance I get. Whenever my wife hears it start up she comes running and wants to go also. Sometimes it is not the money, but how much time do you want to invest in garage time. I finished it when I turned 70. Then again, sometimes it is the money.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am probably in the same boat. Have more projects to do than I have time left to do them in. I have a completely disassembled all original low mileage '35 standard tudor slantback sedan that I took apart in the early 80's. I have the frame/chassis all back together and the body sitting on the frame, but that's the way it has been sitting in the garage for the last 30 years. Other cars/projects came along that took my time and interest away from getting this sedan back together. I have recently thought of selling this complete but disassembled car. I would not be willing sell this car for any less than $12k because of the pristine original condition of all its parts, however, I do realize that not many people would be willing to pay that much for what some would call a basket case.
JOHN: Put together a 10 or 12 page color Brochure with all pictures and parts list, all information you can thing of. and I'll post at the for sale, table at Tahoe I know you will be busy with your judging and polticialing ,,, and all it will cost you is ONE RASPBERRY TEA "SNAPPLE" it's all I drink. I am going to get Charlie to do the same thing, the 27 "T" roadster and a model "A" all fresh built and new paint/tires, both running ect.
You know there will be 100 of "want to be new bees", just look how the hobby has and is growing ( new bees ) on the barn ever week and welcome too
ATTN: Same offer to ChrisMass, just some color pictures and a well written information like you posted on the barn, more pictures the better " a basket case " sounds like good stuff to me :....cool:OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
charles in east texas

We are all running out of time. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
OLD...BILL

Hey the kids and grasndkids are going one hell of a yard sale ....OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Mike in AZ

yep, need pics....lol....always need pics....transmission??...rear end??....original brake system??...dash, gauges??.....seats??....top irons??....more info, and more stuff, better price, etc...good luck....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
52merc

whats happening to your 36roadster mike
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Zeke...PA

I hear yah, wonder myself at times, this old body is over weight and the bones creak and ache, but I plod on. Don't know what body will go first. Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0007.jpg (75.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0021.jpg (61.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Shadetree

A lot of us are in the same boat. I am 76 ears old and my `35 Cabriolet deserves a frame off restoration and would make a great project, for a younger person. I don't want to start something and leave it in a heap for someone else to figure out how to put it back together, so I'll just enjoy it as it is.

Last edited by Shadetree; 04-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
CC33

Same thoughts are running through my head regarding my '33 Fordor. I'm always looking in the rear view to see some girl on a cell phone racing up from behind. Stop lights are the worst. They are always 3" off the rear bumper. And don't get me started about the "visitors" with no insurance.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote