Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Compression Testing The Merc

Got the video uploaded showing how I tested the compression on the flathead Merc to see which cylinders valves needed un-sticking. A little penetrating oil and a little tapping eventually got all the valves working and compression on all cylinders.
https://youtu.be/uNLsEyIzuEQ
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Compression Testing The Merc

Hi Everyone, Ralph, thanks for sharing that with us.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone, Ralph, thanks for sharing that with us.
Your welcome Jeff. I just recall there have been a few threads on here about compression testing flatheads and I thought I would show how I did it. Not saying it is the best or only way to do it but it worked for me.
I just needed to know which cylinders had stuck valves.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Fordestes

Ralp G. Thanks for the vid. Your Merc reminds me so much of a mercury my aunt had , The Merc. was stored after her passing and I was supposed to get the car when I turned old enough to reach the pedals and see out of the windshield at the same time, when it came time we discovered thieves and thugs broke in and totally destroyed the beautiful great running old car, I was totally sickened at what had happened , it was a 53 two door with all the chrome and visor , I will never forget the car or the times I got to ride in the smooth running quiet merc. I have seen a few since but none like the one that was a part of our family, I honestly believe if I got the car then I no doubt would still own it today, Instead I got a 46 ford pickup and I still own it today, the mercs of that era had a persona of their own never to be replicated.
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
cas3

i was supposed to get my grandmothers 47 coupe. it was still like new in about 1970. when i was informed grandma was moving to a nursing home i asked about the car. i'll never forget the response i got from my mother-"that ol' thing? you wanted that ol' thing ? we gave it to the boy at the gas station who kept it running"
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i was supposed to get my grandmothers 47 coupe. it was still like new in about 1970. when i was informed grandma was moving to a nursing home i asked about the car. i'll never forget the response i got from my mother-"that ol' thing? you wanted that ol' thing ? we gave it to the boy at the gas station who kept it running"
An answer only a mother could give!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Ralp G. Thanks for the vid. Your Merc reminds me so much of a mercury my aunt had , I will never forget the car or the times I got to ride in the smooth running quiet merc. I have seen a few since but none like the one that was a part of our family, the mercs of that era had a persona of their own never to be replicated.
Fordestes
I know the 49-51 series is the most popular but I'm stuck on the 52-54 design since this 52 has been in the family since I was a little kid. I remember riding as a passenger as my dad drove it so that makes it a definite keeper for me. No, it will likely never be worth as much on the market as it will cost to restore it but I'm getting my money's worth out of it already just being able to drive it up and down the long driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc head view.jpg (37.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Fordestes

Ralph G. A set of fender skirts would be a nice touch. The Merc. I mentioned earlier was a light cream colored with a (similar to yours) brown top with visor and skirts.
and a lot of shiney chrome! best of luck with your project , I can just imagine what the Merc. means to you, definitely a labor of love , I have a few automotive related items that have been passed down from the thirties one being a license plate for one of my grandfathers oilfield trucks in 1937, he never got to put this one on ,story is he installed the rear plate and died before he got the front one installed, although not worth much, I photo copied it and had the pic. notarized for the tag to be kept in the family after I die.
Fordestes
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
scicala

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the video. I noticed on the trunk of you're Merc that it had script that said "automatic".

Did Mercury do that in '52 and '53 ? I would have thought it would say "mercomatic" if anything, but come to think of it, I've never seen that on a Mercury. I know Fords had Fordomatic emblems.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the video. I noticed on the trunk of you're Merc that it had script that said "automatic".

Did Mercury do that in '52 and '53 ? I would have thought it would say "mercomatic" if anything, but come to think of it, I've never seen that on a Mercury. I know Fords had Fordomatic emblems.

Sal
In fact there have been further discussions and comments on the facebook groups devoted to Mercury/Monarch etc. No real definitive proof yet just why mine says automatic. We don't see any Mercurys around here anymore but any of the old ads I look at show Mercomatic on the trunk lid. So I am wondering if "Automatic" script on the trunk lid was unique to Canada? Surely I am not the last guy with an intact Canadian built 52 Mercury out there? I might have already posted this pic of my trunk lid before, but in case anybody missed it, here it is again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc and 1530.jpg (46.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
scicala

Ralph, I guess I forgot about it being a Canadian Mercury. That may be only one of a few 52's in Canada with an automatic trans. Always learning or trying to learn.

Thanks, Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
Fordestes

Ralp G. Every time I see your merc. it makes me want to start shopping for one ,Like I said earlier that era had a persona that will not be replaced by any other.
Fordestes