Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Steering stabilizer

Personally I'd rather fix the problem than put the stabilizer on. Watch the tie rod on some car with the stabilizer on it as the wheels are turned from lock to lock while on the ground, even on dirt. The tie rod will bend very noticeably, I'll wager. I haven't seen many but they all that I watched in operation bent the tie rod. Doing that can't be good for it. I had a truck I bought with the stabilizer and a hotrod type connection to the left front backing plate. On a trip home from Portland to the Bay Area the hotrod piece worked its way partially through the backing plate, causing a terrifying bit of the death wobble several times in the last few miles to my home, late in the night or I wouldn't have dared to drive it if there had been much other traffic.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Steering stabilizer

So what are you going to do, replace the stabilizer or check and rebuild the front end as necessary?

The stabilizers do work and will cover up the problems real well as you noticed when it failed.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Patrick L.

I would suggest fixing the problem rather than replace a stabilizer. The stabilizer is just a band-aid.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
daveymc29

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I got rid of it and won't ever have a car with one on it again. It is more than a band aid, bandaids generally just hide a sore spot and keep dirt out. This thing is continually bending your tie rod, first one way, then the other. I think should be outlawed. I'd hate to get in a courtroom trying to defend myself if my car killed someone because of loss of steering and the opponent attorney found that thing on my car. I'd probably get jail time.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote