Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
vern hodgson

Default Running board brackets

Ok, have a 28 tudor. Mounting running boards. Driver side went on with a bit of adjustment. Passenger side the running board is shy of matching the fender, rear. About one inch. My question is, are the running board brackets different heights from front to rear and not interchageable? Are the early 28 brackets different sizes? The original brackets were removed at some point. This is a Canadian car. If I jack up the running board to fit the fender it will bow the running board. Looks as if I may need to cut and shorten the height of the bracket. Any thoughts?
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: Running board brackets

There are three different running board brackets used on your '28. The fronts are the same (interchangeable.) The rears are either a right or left. You should be able to look and see if the visually line up on each side. Also consider that over time and hard usage, they could have bent. If you have the correct rear brace on the right side, it may simply have to be heated and bent back into where it needs to be to line up with the running board. Fit the brackets to the running board.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
There are three different running board brackets used on your '28. The fronts are the same (interchangeable.) The rears are either a right or left. You should be able to look and see if the visually line up on each side. Also consider that over time and hard usage, they could have bent. If you have the correct rear brace on the right side, it may simply have to be heated and bent back into where it needs to be to line up with the running board. Fit the brackets to the running board.
A right and a left, that sounds like a needle in a haystack. Are the vertical dimensions all the same? Thanks for your information.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Running board brackets are almost self aligning.

Using a long straight edge you need the tops to level side to side.

The bolt lines will also be staight side to side.

The distance from the front the to the rear has to fit the holes in an original running board.

I spent like $8 for a 8' straight edge at Lowes and used it quite a bit to check my RB brackets.

Also keep in mind they are symmetrical at each side. So taking measurements from the top of the frame across works too.

Hope this all makes sense. It all looked complicated when I started working on it. After seeing the relationship using the straight edge it got easy.

I was bending my 31 brackets cold. I used a piece of larger pipe and a metal bar to bend mine. Not sure if that will do the job for you.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
jw hash

Guys, there is some AA running board brackets that look the same but are 1" short I have two NOS ones. thinking when I bought them that they were NOS Model A that is why I still have them after 15 years or so. so you could have a wrong one on there.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
Guys, there is some AA running board brackets that look the same but are 1" short I have two NOS ones. thinking when I bought them that they were NOS Model A that is why I still have them after 15 years or so. so you could have a wrong one on there.
Now that sounds exactly right. Are they cast or stamped? Are they available? How is tac.? You missed breakfast vern