Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
saltman

Default 1928 Special Coupe body wood

I'm in real need of well-crafted body (& top) wood for the above vehicle. Certainly prefer Ash over Oak. Who has had good luck with a particular retailer(s) and who are they? Your help is always appeciated! Saltman
saltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1928 Special Coupe body wood

I installed the wood on my 28 special coupe about 3 years ago. I bought the top and body wood kits from Bratton's and they get their wood kits from Classic Wood of NC. Over all, I was not real satisfied with the wood. Much of the top wood was quite good, but about 1/3 to 1/2 of the body wood was not so good. The beltrail wood was especially poor fitting. There were 1/4" gaps between some of the 5 pieces of wood that made up the beltrail wood. The rear window frame (made entirely of wood) was also not made very well and required a lot of fitting. The wood is covered by the outside metal panels and top material and the inside is covered with upholstery, so the gaps and poor fitting wood is not seen. On several of the holes in the wood (mostly beltrail) I had to enlarge or redrill as they were not aligned with the body holes. I don't think my car was ever wrecked (causing the holes to be misaligned) as Classic Wood indicated when I talked to Steve Canon (owner of Classic Wood). I don't know if there are many other alternatives to buy wood, but the kits I purchased leaft something to be desired.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 11-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Fred
BANNED

Ditto with Rustys comments above...Same on my 28... Beltrail & rear window pieces were sent back several times...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

I bought the top wood kit with the belt rail wood from FordWood (Cubels) back in the early 80s for my 29 Special coupe and everything went together nicely. The whole top area is solid as a rock with no creaks and rattles.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote