Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Rustedjunk

Default Bad ignition coil maybe or bad carburetor?

My 47 Ford quit on my before I could get it some gas. First my car ran outta gas while I was heading to the gas station before the car show. Then I find out the fuel line had crud in it. So I replaced the fuel filter and emptied the glass cup by the fuel pump. Still my car won't stay running. If I pull the choke it will run but not well and as soon as I release it the car dies. Plus I noticed my ignition coil smoking and bubbling at the top edge. The other thing is that the dumbass I bought the car from was using 87 octane poison and not even using an lead substitute. He said it was "fine." When I put gas in the tank I used 92 non-oxygen gasoline. Am I looking at a carb rebuild, coil replacement or both?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.5 KB, 43 views)
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Rustedjunk

Default Re: Bad ignition coil maybe or bad carburetor?

The coil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
rotorwrench

If the coil is hot enough to do as you describe, it will need to be replaced or rebuilt by a reputable coil rebuilder like Skip if you still have the old plastic case coil. Also, if you are getting crud build up at a high rate, your fuel system will likely need a good bit of maintenance. The tank will need to be cleaned out and hopefully it isn't rusted up like a lot of them are. Your fuel pump should pump at least 2 psi of fuel pressure. Rubber lines on the suction side of the pump can pull air in if there is a leak anywhere. If pulling the choke will make it run richer to function then it is running too lean likely due to crud build up in the carb float bowl, metering passages, or due to excessively slow fuel delivery due to a tank, pump, or fuel line problem.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
flatheadmurre

For the fuel starvation either the fuelpump has issues(full choke means it can draw gas through a non working pump)
Or you got carb issues.
Is the coil heating up while runnning or when standing still with ignition on ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
For the fuel starvation either the fuelpump has issues(full choke means it can draw gas through a non working pump)
Or you got carb issues.
Is the coil heating up while runnning or when standing still with ignition on ?
The coil was smoking and bubbling with I was trying to start the car as well as when it was running crappy.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If the coil is hot enough to do as you describe, it will need to be replaced or rebuilt by a reputable coil rebuilder like Skip if you still have the old plastic case coil. Also, if you are getting crud build up at a high rate, your fuel system will likely need a good bit of maintenance. The tank will need to be cleaned out and hopefully it isn't rusted up like a lot of them are. Your fuel pump should pump at least 2 psi of fuel pressure. Rubber lines on the suction side of the pump can pull air in if there is a leak anywhere. If pulling the choke will make it run richer to function then it is running too lean likely due to crud build up in the carb float bowl, metering passages, or due to excessively slow fuel delivery due to a tank, pump, or fuel line problem.
This coil I think is metal. And as well as the fuel system, I guess I have a lot of cleaning to do. Will I also have to do a carb rebuild too?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
rotorwrench

It's the can type. You put the photo up while I was still typing. You can go buy another can type but you need to be sure it has all the right stuff ignition wise. The 48 & earlier cars had a ballast resister and an old type bakelite coil. Using the later coil for 49 thru 53, a person doesn't need the ballast so much. Many of the modern replacements are crap and it's hard to get good stuff. Is this car still running a 59 series engine as original or does it have a later 8BA type engine in there?

You may need to rebuild the carb but you can try to check out the fuel delivery side first to get everything up to snuff. If that fixes it then the carb can wait till another day.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
39topless

Good advice so far. If you had crud in your fuel line, filter and glass bowl, you probably have some in the carb. I would recommend that you at least remove the air horn (top of carb) and check for crud. Give it a good blow out.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Rustedjunk

This is my flathead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Rustedjunk

My coil is metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
Terry,OH

87 octane and no lead additive is FINE. The engine HAS hardened valve seats from the factory. Todays fuel is much better (even with the ethanol) than the old fuel available in the 40's
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
Charlie ny
BANNED

X2 what Terry says........Get a Carquest or Adv Auto 52-1902 coil. This coil has an
internal resistor so no Ford resistor is required. If you are running pos grd the pos
side of the coil goes to the dist..........neg grd the neg side of the coil goes to the dist.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #13
Rustedjunk

Thank you all for your help. I just missed Advanced Auto Parts. I'll go there tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
X2 what Terry says........Get a Carquest or Adv Auto 52-1902 coil. This coil has an
internal resistor so no Ford resistor is required. If you are running pos grd the pos
side of the coil goes to the dist..........neg grd the neg side of the coil goes to the dist.
Charlie ny
I looked that part up and this came up. I just want to make sure they sell me the right one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...902&showTitle=
Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
47COE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
I looked that part up and this came up. I just want to make sure they sell me the right one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...902&showTitle=
Strangest coil I've ever seen.

The 52-1902 number works for CarQuest though.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #16
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47COE View Post
Strangest coil I've ever seen.

The 52-1902 number works for CarQuest though.
Can you past the link? When I went on the Carquest site it took me to Advance's and to that same suspension part.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #17
Charlie ny
BANNED

Yikes.......around here (Buffalo N.Y.) Carquest is being gobbled up by Advanced . I'll
talk to my human contact tomorrow , Monday, and get todays number.
Charlie ny
Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
47COE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
Can you past the link? When I went on the Carquest site it took me to Advance's and to that same suspension part.
I did a search for Carquest 52-1902 and got:

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/ca...901/93.html#92

Checking this again I see that it is a 2010 scan of a Carquest catalog page. Better wait to see what Charlie finds out tomorrow.

I just go to the local NAPA auto parts store and ask for a 6 volt coil and they come up with the NAPA generic coil.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That coil (according to the CARQUEST page) requires an external ballast resistor. I would check any coil you get to be sure what the resistance is before using it!

What you are looking for is ~ 3.5A through the points. This is calculated by using Current (A) = Voltage (V) divided by the Resistance (R) in the circuit, A = V/R. Measure the coil resistance (I will use 1.0 ohm for an example) and add it to the ballast resister value (say 1.4 ohm), so total resistance would be 2.4 ohms. Battery voltage should be ~6.4V, it will be less when cranking the engine and higher when being charged by the generator, ~7V.

For this example, A = 6.4/2.4 or 2.67A, that is too low which indicates too much resistance in the circuit. At 7V the current would be 2.92A, so still on the low side. If you use the same coil the resistance would remain at 1.0 ohm (again, this is just an example you would need to measure your coil), then you need to change the ballast resister.

If you used a 1.0 ohm ballast resistor the current would be A = 6.4/2.0 or 3.2A and running with the generator charging A = 7.0/2.0 or 3.5A.

These are just example numbers the higher the system current the hotter the spark but the quicker the points burn and the capacitors go. Like everything it is a compromise, 3.5 to 4.0A is a good range to shoot for.

So (and this is just an example!) if the coil is around 1 ohm it would need a ballast resistor, if it is around 2 ohms it would not need a ballast resistor.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #20
Charlie ny
BANNED

HOLD ON............I think I gave some bad info..........
The 52-1902 coil info I have says it has an internal resistor, in checking on line
from 47COE post the coil spec says it MUST be used with an external resistor.
I WILL have correct info Monday fer sure.
My apologies,
Charlie ny