Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
HoarseWhisperer

Default Winter Storage - Run it, or leave it?

Last winter, I performed the usual winter storage procedures; jack stands on the suspension, checking the anti-freeze, changing fluids, filling up with ethanol-free gas and fuel stabilizer, applying storage spray in the spark plug holes, plugging the tail pipe with steel-wool, etc., heat the garage and walking away from it for the season until the igloo melts.

This season, I'm contemplating whether to start it once a week, running in 3rd gear on the stands until it reaches operating temperature to keep it all lubricated.

Good idea, or bad idea? What do you do?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
cradlescyth

Default Re: Winter Storage - Run it, or leave it?

Why not just run it on the road when weather permits??
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Dick Deegan

I actually drive mine over the winter. I pick days that are not too cold and where the roads are fairly clear and not too covered in salt (preferably not at all). I do put stabilizer in the gas because it may be several weeks between runs. I also make sure that all fluids are up to snuff, especially anti-freeze. You probably have more salt on the roads where you live than I do. I live in the "boonies" where the most exciting thing that happens in the winter is if someone has a bowel movement!!.

The old girl doesn't seem to mind it (the car that is).

I would be careful about running the car in 3rd gear on stands. I think that it is very hard on the spider gears and carrier.

BTW, do you know of anywhere in Canada to purchase the eco friendly anti-freeze - Sierra I think it's called?

Dick

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Old182

Combustion creates a lot of water that will find its way into your exhaust system and crankcase. This will lead to acids that cause corrosion of iron/steel parts and bearings. It's your engine, but you might consider just cranking it over by hand a few times when the spirit moves you unless you feel you can boil off the water that will get into your oil. Also, on a cold start there will be an amount of unburned fuel that will sneak past the rings and get into the oil as well, washing the cylinder walls somewhat and diluting the oil. Although these conditions may not cause any damage in the short term, none is really a healthy thing for your engine. IMHO, your pickling process sounds like you've got it covered very well. $0.02.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlescyth View Post
Why not just run it on the road when weather permits??
because the roads are a mess once they are salted or sanded some of us dont want all that white crap on our undercarriages.

i dont see a problem going that route at all. i would maker sure if you dont run a thermostat to at least put one in temporary so you get it up to operating temps. that will help burn the condensation and by products out of the crankcase. i dont think you need to actually run it through the gears just adjust the throttle lever to idle it up slightly maybe to about 800 rpms or so.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Dave in Boise

Differential would get quite a workout with the car on jackstands I believe..

I generally will take mine out and park it on the driveway with some cardboard just blocking enough radiator until my motormeter shows a good hot operating temp at fast idle.. I'd likely not worry too much about your rear or trans at this point, as they don't seem to get the condensation that a motor does in some climates..

Once it is good and hot, i remove the cardboard and let it cool down from the hot run, and then slow the idle even more until ready to roll it back into the garage for cooldown.

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I think what you did last season is the perfect storage. I also add mothballs to keep the mice away.

I park mine when the temp drops below 40 or when the first salt hits the road. I don't touch the car again until a couple of good spring rains have washed the salt off the road.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
bogdonj

I have been told to take it for 1 last run to warm it up..park it out front of your garage or shed..change the oil and then push it into place where you want it to sit. Put it on jack stands and leave it alone... the odd time over the winter in my garage I will turn it over manually just to make sure everything stays loose.
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Doug in NJ

Perhaps it would be a good idea to remove the distributor (for a while at least) to ventilate the valve chamber and allow the moisture to evaporate?

I think it is pretty hard to get a car truly up to operating temperature without actually driving it. You have to get that oil pretty hot...

Doug
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Karl

I certainly run mine over your winter although being in the southern hemisphere your winter is our summer LOL . I do however also run them in our winter as well. Fortunately our climate is temperate and it is not cold enough to snow or ice over any water. Also thank goodness salt is never used on our roads even in the southern areas of New Zealand that do get some snow . Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Vanspeed

I started mine about once a month and let it run for about 10 minutes, no problems come spring and I am in Michigan, a very nasty state in the winter.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Back in the day........people ran them year around. I've read stories about
the people carrying a lap robe as a "must have" accessory. I drove in the
snow with my first Model A all the time---and she did great.

Jack
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
glenn in camino

Here in Camino Calif. we get snow but it's usually melted in a few days. They don't salt the roads so I drive my As all year. It does get cold though so I installed a 160 degree thermostat.
When I was a kid in Illinois my grandpa would wash off under his car every time they returned home in the snow and ice and salt.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
Keith True

I drive mine in the shed,cellar,and garage.I try to have them full of gas,but that doesn't always happen.I have taken to using stabilizer,but I never used to.I grease the car and check the fluids before parking in case any water is in anything,that way it won't have the winter to sit there and work.I shut off the gas,pull the fuses,put a bunch of poison out for the livestock and leave.I do check them but only to make sure nothing has set up housekeeping in the cars.Sometimes on a warm day in the winter I may start them up and let them run for an hour.The engines warm up pretty well at about 800 RPM with the spark retarded.That is it,no battery tenders,(they make a great firestarter)no jacking up,(although I think that is a good idea)no covers,nothing.They all start right up in the spring.I know guys that make a project out of getting the A out in the spring.I know everything was topped in the fall,so if there are no puddles I am good to go.I do check the oil and water,mostly to make sure there is no mixture of the two.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
J Franklin

I vote to put it up for the winter as you did in the past and not run it. the oil film will last the winter on everything. I might turn it over a few times with the crank with the transmission in gear and also at least once with the clutch depressed to keep it free.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
Frank Nemo

In 1952 my Model A was my sole source of transportation. When Winter came to Northern Illinois it was nasty, yet I had to use my '31 tudor to get to school and out on dates. Other than a blanket for the passenger, the only other thing I did was at night to use a dip stick oil heater. That car started every morning no matter how cold it got and it sure got cold on the inside of the car. I guess because I was sixteen at the time I didn't mind the cold than like I do now.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
HoarseWhisperer

Appreciate the comments. I've elected to leave the vehicle alone for the winter, except for the occasional hand crank.

Starting or driving in snow is not an issue for me, but road salt on a well preserved, rust-free, 80 year old vehicle certainly is.

If one can believe the reports, it appears we can still obtain ethanol-free gas in Ontario in the form of Shell 91. Hopefully, an alcohol-free, fuel-stabilizer will maintain the fuel over the winter. The only other option is to replace the 11 gallons of fuel in the spring. Thoughts?

I notice that some of these web-sites devoted to promoting the "evils" of ethanol in gas, are also selling "fuel tester" products. Which makes one wonder if they are using scare tactics as a marketing strategy.

Have I mentioned that I find winter..... highly over-rated?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
Last winter, I performed the usual winter storage procedures; jack stands on the suspension, checking the anti-freeze, changing fluids, filling up with ethanol-free gas and fuel stabilizer, applying storage spray in the spark plug holes, plugging the tail pipe with steel-wool, etc., heat the garage and walking away from it for the season until the igloo melts.

This season, I'm contemplating whether to start it once a week, running in 3rd gear on the stands until it reaches operating temperature to keep it all lubricated.

I would driveit at lease every 10 days and enjoy the car 10 miles or better goodluk.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post

What is this storage spray for the spark plug holes you mention above?? something you purchase locally or something you make up yourself?
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
Drew N. Minnesota

I think he is talking about fogging oil that you should be able to get at any auto parts store. Just a little added insurance that the upper cylinder and head surfaces are protected from corrosion.