Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #1

Default Re: Oil And Gas Prices

ON THE CRUDE OIL DROPPING $2 DOLLARS , DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE BIG REFINERY [EMPLOYING 1600 PEOPLE} IN TEXAS BLOWING UP.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #2

Yes, I live about 70 miles from it. Four dead and 40 or so injured. Had I been outside I probably would have heard the blast. Fortunately the unit that went up makes octane enhancers for gasoline. BP says it won't have much effect on gasoline production. That plant supplies roughly 3% of total U.S. gasoline. All the more reason why we need more refineries.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #3

oh didn't know it was an OR. great we dont have enough of them now. ken ct.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #4

The refinery is still operating. The unit that blowed up makes gasoline additives. They will likely buy the additives from other producers until they rebuild their own capacity. This will drive the pump price up some, but the gas will still be available @ market price.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:15 AM   #5

I used to live northeast of Corpus Christi, and remember the ship explosion at Texas City, that happened April 16, 1947. Some folks said they felt the ground tremble 130 miles away.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #6

My folks lived there at the time; Dad was still in the Brown Shoe Corps, stationed at Ellington Field. Fortunately they lived on the other side of town. That was the worst industrial disaster in history until the Union Carbide incident in Bhopal, India.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #7

That reminds me of the old joke. " who killed more Indians than Colonol Custer? "...... Union carbide.

GB.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:13 AM   #8

bottled water costs $4.50 beer $8.00 a gallon. dont hear much complaint.Figure the cost of A pound of tobacco vs a pound of hamburg.