Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
LopezCarguy

Default Briggs Body Number

I just found Body Number tag on cross member of my Cabriolet..it is 194-6570 anyone know the date of build?? The fire wall says: 6-25-'29 Dick
LopezCarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Briggs Body Number

As I recall from trying to put a date using the body number on my Briggs Town Sedan, the charts listed the totals not by month or date. Your gas tank date and the block number/frame number, if it's the original engine and frame, might be as close as you can get.
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32123
http://modelaford.org/technical/numbers.asp
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

Last edited by redmodelt; 12-23-2013 at 10:20 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If your Cabriolet Briggs body is original to the chassis, then you are going to have to do a little research on your own to determine a build date.

Get the MARC/MAFCA RG's and JS's and just start noting things that are on your car and then you can come real close to an aproximate build date.

If the car was assembled in Seattle, let's say, and the body was built at the Briggs factory in Dearborn, then it was sometime after 6/25/29 that the body was shipped to Seattle and sent down the assembly line. This may have took 2-3 weeks or longer after that.

A Cabriolet body that was sent to the San Francisco plant took just 10 days to go from Dearborn (using the engine date of 7/12/29) it was assembled into the Cabriolet and it was sold to the dealer in Hollister, CA on 7/22/29.

But here again, we do not know the history of the car nor the assembly plant for which it came from.

Again, providing it is an original, assembled vehicle, you have to take all into consideration and it still might not get you to the true assembly date but you can come real close.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
LopezCarguy

Thanks guys, I know the 194 indicates 1929 Cabriolet, but was wondering if the 6570 meant 6 thousand car body down the line?? Yes Steve, the small ferrel headlights and the cast metal non folding top piece all point to early car..even earlier than the fire wall date...the care is very original so fun investigating the build date..Dick
LopezCarguy is offline   Reply With Quote