Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Bob Johnson

Default Model B Carburetor rebuild

I am rebuilding two Model B carburetors. I ordered two rebuild kits. They are labeled 00511-1 Sacramento Vintage Ford. I flow tested the jets and the results were not what I thought they should have been. I used a 37 1/4" head.

For the Idle jets I recorded 58 and 60.
For the Main jets I recorded 80 for one and 83 for the other.
For the Cap Jet I got 378 and 376.
For the Comp jet I got 148 and 142.
For the Power jet I got 46 and 44.

The Main and Power jets are way off. I know how to adjust the jets by drilling. My questions are ---> Has anyone else measured the flow rates for the jets in the 00511-1 B cab rebuild kit? If so what flow rates did you measure and did you open up the jets? Or has anyone rebuilt a B carb with this kit without adjusting the jets? If so did the engine run lean with not enough power?

Below is a table from Vince Falter's "Ford Garage" showing flow rates from various sources.

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Model B Carburetor rebuild

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to report on these helpful comparisons between "new" jet flow & the recommended & specified jet flow rates.

Appears the B "new" jet flow readings you are getting are just as far off as the A "new" flow readings I got about 8 years ago when testing same.

I did not keep records because the "new" jets from several responsible vendors were really ridiculous & a were a waste of money spent. When called to report the findings the vendors replied these were the best they could find to offer.

All varied quite a bit & I am sure they were poorly manufactured with absolutely no quality control.

I had several old "original" jets from several carburetors that were correct so I re-installed these "original" jets.

Under "Search", one can find out where it has been reported to buy quality flow tested jets.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Bob Johnson

I measured the main jet hole size and it was about 0.029". I measured an original main jet and the hole was 0.037". These hole sizes account for the difference in flow rates. Below is a picture of the reproduction and original main jet holes. Notice the size of the holes and the shape of the jet around the hole. On the original there is a concave area around the hole. Again has anyone else rebuilt a B carb? If so what did you find in quality of the parts and performance of the rebuilt carburetor?

Bob

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
SAJ

Hi Bob, I rebuilt a B carb and the new jets were all over the place. I soldered and reamed various jets to the flows required (3-sided tapered reamers made by hand taper-grinding piano wire of suitable sizes). I indented the tips as on orig. jets to avoid capillary flow leaks. The flow rates I chose run the plugs very white, so I have the GAV 1/2 turn open rather than closed as proper on the B. This gives a slight tan tinge to the plug insulators and valve heads, which seems safer since I had burnt two exhaust valves previously on an A carb on the same engine. I have an exhaust gas thermocouple right next to no. 3 exhaust valve to keep an eye on temperature. As posted recently here, I see no difference in temp on the meter as I vary the GAV, but big changes when I retard the engine.
I get 21 to 23 MPG on a trip (Mitchell O/D) and 17 to 18 mpg round town on short trips.
These are big Imperial gallons (divide by 1.201 to get US MPG). One day I may recalibrate the jets so the GAV will run closed but there are lots of other things to do first.
I also have lots of new A carb jets that are wrongly sized too.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote