Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default Turn signal fuse identification help needed

While the '30 Coupe I'm helping a friend straighten out is almost done, there is one remaining nagging problem - the turn signals. They worked fine until I installed a new cutout and attempted to connect the "hot" wire. I had disconnected the battery's negative post cable and set the cable aside. But apparently the cable end "coiled" back across the top of the battery and was touching the terminal because I got a big spark when I attempted to attach the hot wire to the front of the cutout. After that, the turn signals would not operate. I suspected the sparking had blown out the turn signal fuse.
Expecting to find the typical single in-line fuse, I was surprised to find TWO fuses! And these are ones I have never encountered before. They may be common as hen's teeth to you electrical types, but they're new to me. See the photo below. It has three wires coming out of it. Two well-known national auto parts places where I took it for a replacement had no idea what kind of fuse this is. Can anyone tell me what the heck this thing is and where would be a likely place to buy new ones? Forget CarQuest and NAPA. They don't have a clue what these fuses are - just like me.
Thanks in advance.
Marshall, the non-electrical guy (I flunked 8th grade electrical shop class!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8140015.jpg (53.9 KB, 108 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Turn signal fuse identification help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
While the '30 Coupe I'm helping a friend straighten out is almost done, there is one remaining nagging problem - the turn signals. They worked fine until I installed a new cutout and attempted to connect the "hot" wire. I had disconnected the battery's negative post cable and set the cable aside. But apparently the cable end "coiled" back across the top of the battery and was touching the terminal because I got a big spark when I attempted to attach the hot wire to the front of the cutout. After that, the turn signals would not operate. I suspected the sparking had blown out the turn signal fuse.
Expecting to find the typical single in-line fuse, I was surprised to find TWO fuses! And these are ones I have never encountered before. They may be common as hen's teeth to you electrical types, but they're new to me. See the photo below. It has three wires coming out of it. Two well-known national auto parts places where I took it for a replacement had no idea what kind of fuse this is. Can anyone tell me what the heck this thing is and where would be a likely place to buy new ones? Forget CarQuest and NAPA. They don't have a clue what these fuses are - just like me.
Thanks in advance.
Marshall, the non-electrical guy (I flunked 8th grade electrical shop class!)
What brand/type turnsignals installed
Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

GARY WA -
I'll have to check tomorrow. The car is at the owner's shop. If I had suspected that finding a lousy fuse was going to result in me driving all over town, I would have noted the brand name on the flasher head (if there is one) and looked on-line for a possible replacement parts list. I was hoping that this was a common fuse that I was unaware existed.
Marshall
Old 11-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Gary WA

Quote:
GARY WA -
I'll have to check tomorrow. The car is at the owner's shop. If I had suspected that finding a lousy fuse was going to result in me driving all over town, I would have noted the brand name on the flasher head (if there is one) and looked on-line for a possible replacement parts list. I was hoping that this was a common fuse that I was unaware existed.
Marshall
Never seen anything like it!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
harleytoprock

Not any fuse I've seen before. Could it be a load resistor or some kind of electronic flasher?
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
ModelAMike1930

It sounds like you may have blown the flasher relay. If it was 12 volts it would be available at most parts stores.. If 6volts try the model a parts stores..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

doesn't really look like a flasher. Can't see the glass end very well, kinda blurry.

Brand doesn't really matter, just wire in two new fuses at 10A ea and it should be fine. Use universal in-line or other universal fuse holders.

I'd say the center lead is a common feed. They must have fused the L side and the R side separately which is kinda odd.

See what Tom W thinks; he'll be around usually after midnite.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I haven't seen anything like that either.
Maybe an end view would help.
Are they some kind of mini spade fuse, or is the part pictured just one part where nothing can be slipped out?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Marshall V. Daut

Here's the best end view I could get with my Edsel of a camera. Is it the opinion of guys in the know here that this is some kind of relay and NOT a fuse?? 'Sure looks like a fuse to me, but I'll reserve judgment until it can be positively identified as such.
From past experience with turns signals installed on Model A's, if the flasher is burned out, at least the turn signal bulb will light; it just won't flash. I can't get any bulb to turn on at all. No power whatsoever. That still tells me a fuse is blown, but I can't find any in the wiring. I thought this three-wire thing-a-ma-jig was the fuse! Hmmm...Now I AM confused.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8140017 (2).jpg (47.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

I was thinking relay also. The pic at that angle confirms it for me. Rod
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

...And the other end. Yes, there appears to be three spade connectors inside the clear plastic cover. It also looks as if the innards can be removed by pressing the two side keeper tabs. So far, though, I haven't had any success doing that. That's why I had to clip the three wires to get the fuse/whatever free to take to a parts store for a replacement.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8140018.jpg (49.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
MikeK

That's a push-in wire connector. Color denotes wire size.

Designed to be faster than wire nuts. A real P.O.S. Whenever I come across one I clip it off with my dykes and replace it with a Twist nut or other connector that delivers real clamping pressure. I've replaced several that have burned up. They are a fire waiting to happen.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Mike's the man! Guess you lucked out Marshall. Just try a large wire nut and see if they work.

Seems most flashers turn on the lights, even if they don't flash, but I think there is one design where the lights don't turn on when the flasher fails. A poor connection at the flasher could also prevent the lights from turning on.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Patrick L.

Quote:
Here's the best end view I could get with my Edsel of a camera. Is it the opinion of guys in the know here that this is some kind of relay and NOT a fuse?? 'Sure looks like a fuse to me, but I'll reserve judgment until it can be positively identified as such.
From past experience with turns signals installed on Model A's, if the flasher is burned out, at least the turn signal bulb will light; it just won't flash. I can't get any bulb to turn on at all. No power whatsoever. That still tells me a fuse is blown, but I can't find any in the wiring. I thought this three-wire thing-a-ma-jig was the fuse! Hmmm...Now I AM confused.
Marshall

Hey, hey, hey, We sold Edsels,and, I liked them. Well, except for the Tele-touch system.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

Wow! Thanks, "MikeK"! That's just what I needed to know! So, this little gizmo is nothing more than a Rube Goldberg wire connector, eh? That means there is still a fuse lurking somewhere among the MANY wires in this turn signal contraption. I'll dig deeper to find it. The problem almost has to be a blown fuse or flasher, right? No power = one of those two must be at fault. I'll post what I find.
Thanks again to all, who took time to make suggestions.
Marshall
Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
Marshall V. Daut

'Sorry, "Patrick L". No insult intended. Just as the "Titanic" has come to symbolize a major disaster, "Edsel" has come to embody a spectacular failure, usually caused by human misjudgment . I'm afraid it's part of the English language of metaphors and analogies that will be hard to remove - even if it hurts SOME of our feelings.
Marshall
Old 11-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

just rewire the crazy system to a modern day standard setup, don't be a slave to proprietary craziness

the wires to the controller are presumed good
the wires to the 4 corners are presumed to be good
Ohm the above out to be sure they ring true
Joint them together w/ a new flasher and new fuse

you looked behind the L side kick panel for fuse and flasher we assume
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Marshall V. Daut

Problem solved! I twisted the three cut wires together and went back to hunting down the hiding fuse. 'FINALLY FOUND IT! It was buried beneath a ton of electrical tape, wrapped up inside other wires like snakes in hibernation. There were numerous such "clumps" along the multiple wire runs, but the thick tape hid the plastic fuse sleeve from my eagle eye. After replacing the blown fuse, the signals worked again. Hurray!
Thanks again, Guys! If you hadn't I.D.'d the three-wire gismo as simple a connector, I might still be running around town trying to find a replacement "fuse" that looked like it.
Marshall
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Great!!!

sounds like a rube golberg wiring setup.

might want to dig into those other clumps to see if there are any violations hiding in there....ppl who use that much electrical tape are unsure of what they are doing and there may be poor connections hiding..meaning a fire just waiting....

how hard can proper wiring be? a ground and a feed (supply) ...just 2 wires/connections to keep track of....
Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Marshall V. Daut

Good idea, tbirdtbird. Very little was properly done on this car, so it might be wise to find other Black Holes of Calcutta Mickey Mouse work before the car is sold. I am still shaking my head at some of the absolutely STUPID things a previous owner did to this poor, innocent car. There oughtta be a law!!!
Marshall
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #21
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
...might want to dig into those other clumps to see if there are any violations hiding in there...
Years back, on my '71 F100, I noticed a "clump" of tape on one of the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. On inspection, I found that the previous owner had taped a spare key inside that clump!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
John S

What was it one fellow called it? "Messtoration?"
John S is offline   Reply With Quote