Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

Time to expand!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg were-expanding MAFFI copy.jpg (88.8 KB, 451 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

So, the museum had all its bills paid, and was debt-free, AND had a little over $1M in the bank, and the interest on the money in savings was enough to pay the rent and all expenses til the end of time. For a hobby that is aging out, that sounded like an ideal place to be.

Are you sure this is the right move? What if the money stops flowing? What if donations of Model As falls off? Is there a plan in place so that if things go sideways with the economy or war breaks out, the Model A museum won't have to vacate the property because it can't afford the new higher rent the Gilmore charges?

I mean, if all the non-Model A car stuff was removed from the existing square footage (example- That huge airplane with a modified Model A motor in it that does not belong there), would the extra space created be enough? Or, is the plan to display even more stuff not directly Model A related? I mean, if someone built a boat with a Model A motor, would the museum have to display that too? Uh-oh, need to expand again!

Genuine questions I have, not intending to be confrontational. Wife and I are longtime MAFFI life members. We have also donated cash to the project and later, the forever fund. Our club has also been extremely generous with MAFFI. When we did, we were told the MAFFI museum would remain debt-free and be able to live off the interest alone. We were not told that our donations would later be put in jeopardy for another expansion gamble.

Thank you.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
Grier

Default Re: We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

Keep up the good work Mark.
Grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #4
updraught

“Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face.” Mike Tyson
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:40 PM   #5
trulyvintage

Question We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

For those who are unaware of how
McDonald’s grew to become
The Colossal Burger Chain ….

Watch this video:

@ https://youtu.be/uxCL2RqCuiY

Sweet Deal Having Car Clubs Foot The Bill
For Building On Land They Don’t Own …

Who Benefits ?

Certainly Not The Dues Paying Members ….

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:07 PM   #6
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
So, the museum had all its bills paid, and was debt-free, AND had a little over $1M in the bank, and the interest on the money in savings was enough to pay the rent and all expenses til the end of time. For a hobby that is aging out, that sounded like an ideal place to be.

Are you sure this is the right move? What if the money stops flowing? What if donations of Model As falls off? Is there a plan in place so that if things go sideways with the economy or war breaks out, the Model A museum won't have to vacate the property because it can't afford the new higher rent the Gilmore charges?

I mean, if all the non-Model A car stuff was removed from the existing square footage (example- That huge airplane with a modified Model A motor in it that does not belong there), would the extra space created be enough? Or, is the plan to display even more stuff not directly Model A related? I mean, if someone built a boat with a Model A motor, would the museum have to display that too? Uh-oh, need to expand again!

Genuine questions I have, not intending to be confrontational. Wife and I are longtime MAFFI life members. We have also donated cash to the project and later, the forever fund. Our club has also been extremely generous with MAFFI. When we did, we were told the MAFFI museum would remain debt-free and be able to live off the interest alone. We were not told that our donations would later be put in jeopardy for another expansion gamble.

Thank you.

It is important to keep in mind the MAFFI mission statement: "The Model A Ford Foundation, Inc. seeks to preserve Model A Fords and related artifacts and memorabilia, encourage research, and educate present and future generations about the Model A Ford and its era."

That mission statement is what justified the creation of the Model A Museum in the first place.

So "all the non-Model A car stuff" that you mention does actually fully support the MAFFI mission, in preserving artifacts that are related to the Model A Ford. Thus the "huge" Pietenpol airplane, with its Model A engine, really does belong in the museum and should be allocated space. Yes, a Model A powered boat, if from the Model A era, would also support the MAFFI mission (I believe there already is a Model A marine engine on display in the museum.) And yes, the other "stuff" on display in the museum, like the police officer in era uniform and the era school classroom next to the Model AA School Bus, etc.. also fully support the MAFFI mission by educating current and future generations about the era of the Model A Ford.

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:59 PM   #7
P.S.

Although I disagree that an airplane belongs in a Model A car museum that is already strapped for space, I do follow your point and mostly agree. I am just asking questions from the perspective of someone who jumped on the project early and supported it from the inception. So far, no answers. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:43 AM   #8
alexiskai

Most vacationers travel in groups of at least two. Within that group, most likely only one person will be interested in geeking out on Model As for a couple of hours. The stuff that isn't "directly Model A related" is there to help get the other members of the group into the museum in the first place and then keep them there long enough for the person geeking out to see what they want to see, swing through the gift shop, and think about becoming a member.

The Pietenpol Sky Scout features prominently on the MAFFI website; in the IronTrap Garage episode about MAFFI, they called the plane "the most interesting Model A item in the museum." I'm just speculating but I bet it's actually quite popular.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:48 AM   #9
mercman from oz

mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:22 AM   #10
Oldbluoval

“JOHN BEGG”

There may be some irony in his name!!
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:58 AM   #11
ronn

PS. I read and enjoyed your insite and opinion. You make some xlnt points, though I would imagine the decision has already been made.

This happens all too often in other factions of life. Many think if we make it " bigger" it will be better. I really dont have an opinion on the matter, as Ive never been.

thx for having the "balls" to speak up and address concerns. I am sure Mark will have some valid points to make and the discourse is welcome.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:42 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, from my vantage point, the worst news about this new expansion is that it will be taking away valuable Model-A Day swap meet area! JK about the above! I can see both sides of this. The Model-T museum (-located in Indiana) has an aeroplane in their museum too, so this museum needs one too.

On a more serious note, the Model-T museum also has an on-site workshop area where Jerry, Mark, and the gang there at the T museum can work on projects and host How-To seminars on-site for club members. I am pretty sure that Ken and the gang at the Model-A museum presently must use the old barn on the property that is about ¼ mile away from the Model-A museum, so I'm sure the new building addition would be very welcome for the in-house workshop alone.

Another area that I am reading between the lines is that I know the museum receives donations of cars & parts throughout the year, and I seem to recall talking with some museum volunteers about how these donations are being required to be stored off-site because the museum is out of space in the present building. So maybe this is a double-edged sword in that MAFFI needs to have additional space to receive the donations where they can be cycled in & out of display, and also have their own space to be able to stage & sell these donations at a future point to assist funding the entire operation long-range.

As for creating a financial strain, I would venture a strong guess that if they proceed with this expansion as planned, there are Benefactors already in place to help assist with this financially. I would also say that likely there are new participants that will assist financially when momentum gets rolling, ...so maybe it won't be much of a financial strain of the present museum coffers after all.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #13
Model "A" Fords

How the museum is operated is not my call. The ones that are part of making the project happen or keeping it running through their effort have that job!
I was at the museum during a Model A Meet and blown away with the whole Gilmore complex. It was great to see all those cars, especially the Model A's inside and out.
A thought crossed my mind not knowing the dynamics of such a beautiful setting. Locally a museum was gifted approximately forty acers of land and structures operating under specific rules for twenty years after which it was on it's own. One organization put hundreds of thousands into their area towards improvements. After the twenty years came to an end the rent was multiplied ten fold and for some they had no choice but to evacuate leaving their hard work and money behind. I don't wish this scenario on anybody!
I look forward to future visits to this amazing place knowing that people that can "work together" benefit from all their combined experiences.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #14
trulyvintage

Thumbs down We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

The MTFCA Board Of Directors (BOD)
took the keys away from the Volunteers
quite awhile back.

The Volunteers no longer have access
to either the museum they built or
the annex they built across the street.

The MTFCA uses membership dues (in part)
to reimburse BOD members expenses
when they take vacations around the country
during the year to meet outside of
Richmond, Indiana at locations like Las Vegas, NV.

This - in the electronic age of Zoom
where business is conducted daily
using remote visual and audio communication.

The MTFCA BOD tries to recruit new BOD members
by offering that as an incentive.

Jim
Old 07-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
The MTFCA Board Of Directors (BOD)
took the keys away from the Volunteers
quite awhile back.

The Volunteers no longer have access
to either the museum they built or
the annex they built across the street.

The MTFCA uses membership dues (in part)
to reimburse BOD members expenses
when they take vacations around the country
during the year to meet outside of
Richmond, Indiana at locations like Las Vegas, NV.

This - in the electronic age of Zoom
where business is conducted daily
using remote visual and audio communication.

The MTFCA BOD tries to recruit new BOD members
by offering that as an incentive.

Jim
You would think the constituency of the MTFCA would be particularly receptive to claims of waste, fraud, and abuse. How come nobody's run for BOD on a platform of "I'll cut your dues and run this place like a business"?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:00 AM   #16
trulyvintage

Thumbs down Re: We are excited to announce this incredible news about our Model A Museum!!

The MTFCA Bylaws are written
to protect the sitting BOD members.

Nominations for new BOD members
from the dues paying membership
when elections come around can be
vetoed by the sitting board and not
be put forth to the dues paying
membership for a vote.

For many years things ran smoothly.

Things changed a few years ago
when a former Procter & Gamble
employee became
the “ executive director “ of the
museum and began dictating
policy to the BOD.

That continued when she retired.

The dues paying members have
no idea WTH is actually going on.

The central display vehicle on
the museum floor is a replica of a
Model T Pie Wagon owned by a
Political Strategist who is not even
a dues paying MTFCA member
that serves to promote his commercial
business rent free at the expense
of dues paying members.

Jim
Old 07-13-2023, 02:17 PM   #17
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
I was at the museum during a Model A Meet and blown away with the whole Gilmore complex. It was great to see all those cars, especially the Model A's inside and out.
Man, I could not agree more! The Gilmore is such an amazing place, and the MAFFI museum there is just breathtaking!

My support for MAFFI is unwavering. My limitless enthusiasm for the Model A hobby is a matter of public record. With all that understood, I am not criticizing MAFFI, only asking questions. I look at the distant future when pondering big decisions, like 50-100 years from now, not just 5 years from now. So it is from that perspective that I asked the questions above in post #2.

I have zero intent behind these questions. It's just that nobody else seems to be asking them, and I really do want to know if all that is being considered. If so, then great! If not, then I hope it adds something to the next board meeting.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:18 PM   #18
ModelA29

The Model A hobby would be far better served by sending (rotating) "excess" cars on loan to museums around the country. While it's nice to have a national museum they need to face the facts that the average owner will never travel beyond a couple hundred miles to see the museum. A notice in the national club magazines that a rare Model A will be on display for the next year only 100 miles from their home would generate far more interest in the cars and probably donations to the museum to cover the costs of shipping the cars. How many chapters would plan a tour to go see a few rare museum quality Model As nearby?
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:31 PM   #19
JWB

Following is an update to the Model A community regarding our Museum expansion plans.

When the Model A Museum was built, it was designed to allow for future expansion. The plan was to expand at some point in time. After successfully operating for 12 years, the Trustees spent the past year evaluating our long term strategy to support the Model A hobby. The decision was made to expand the Museum using new space for more Model A vehicles shown in era designed vignettes, adding more interactive displays (such as the Interactive Starting Exhibit) and creating a working garage (Service Center), that will also serve as a learning center.

We’ve learned that having the ability for visitors to actually interact with Model As, in addition to viewing the collection at The Museum, supports the Museum’s educational mission and promotes growth in our hobby. Frankly, once you get someone to interact with the Model A, the chance of making them hobbyists really increases. For example, the Interactive Starting Exhibit is the most popular exhibit on The Gilmore grounds. It allows visitors to learn the starting operations of the Model A in an educational and enjoyable way. I can state from my own personal experience, that once I began driving and working on Model As, I was hooked.

The mandate of the Museum expansion includes remaining debt free and to not increase our current annual operating costs. We will also not use endowment funds for construction or up fitting costs, such as the creation of the new Service Center. We know the importance of being fiscally responsible to the many donors that have made the Model A Museum a reality. There is a reason we started with a smaller footprint at the beginning and are now able to move forward with expanding the museum. When completed, the expansion will fill our contracted acreage on the campus. In other words, we started out at half our long term projected size of square footage back in 2010.

The Gilmore Car Museum is a great partner. Including The Model A Museum, there are seven partners on the Gilmore campus that annually greet over 120,000 visitors. We own the building, pay an annual operating fee to The Gilmore, operate with non-paid volunteers (we have no paid staff) and our 50 year contract with The Gilmore requires them to buy back our Museum if we ever decide to leave. The annual fee we pay to The Gilmore covers all maintenance, admission, docents, grounds keeping and security fees. The annual fee is less than what it would cost to employ just one person, let alone a staff of people required to operate a museum as a free standing operation.

Many times we'll hear comments like…”can you show more trucks?”…or “what about showcasing cars owned by celebrities?”, etc. The Model A Museum has a large variety of exhibits and displays. Not all of them appeal to everyone’s interest, but they help tell the story of the importance and impact of the Model A and the Model A era. When we hear questions like those mentioned, it does a couple of things. First it shows the amazing interest in The Model A Museum, which we believe to be the crown jewel of The Gilmore campus. Second it helps the Trustees and volunteers remain creative and focused on bringing in new exhibits and displays for our hobbyists. Although we can’t say yes to every idea, some of these discussions have led us to initiatives such as our long term partnership with NATMUS, in Auburn, Indiana, where we have an excellent collection of Model As on display. In addition, and in collaboration with The Gilmore, we have six Model As on display in the “C” Barn which is part of The Early Ford Exhibit (1903-1953). We also have partnered with The Gilmore to give free rides, year round in Model As and last year we initiated a Model A Driving School to bring more people into our hobby. We are committed to the Model A hobby, its sustainability and growth.

In closing, I welcome your suggestions, comments and questions. Feel free to e-mail me through the MAFFI website, or call me at 803-727-4392. I’m happy to talk to you...really I’d love to hear from you.

Thank you for your support and we hope to see you during this year’s Model A Days. We will talk more about expansion plans during the event and provide plenty of opportunity to address any questions.

Best Regards,

John W. Begg
President
Model A Ford Foundation, Inc.
JWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:41 PM   #20
P.S.

Thank you for taking the time to post this information, John. That really answers my questions, and some I didn't yet have. You also addressed my concerns directly and very satisfactorily. Maybe Mark Maron was not fully equipped with this information when he posted the announcement. That would have been very helpful if he had been aware.

See you in September.