Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
34ragtop

Default repairing window regulators

can you safely take the double springs off one regulator to repair another i have a 36 cabriolet that the double springs broke
34ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: repairing window regulators

Yes, it can be done, put in all the way up position to release most of the tension, wear eye protection, gloves, sometimes a little dremel work on the crimp, pry out spring.

I did all that, welded up and filed gear teeth, replaced the crank gear ---then I found NOS, and sold the repaired regulator.
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
38convsedan

Default Re: repairing window regulators

I found a method that works to transfer the double spring from one regulator to another.

2. Crank both regulators to the full up position. (On 35-39 convertible regulators, this involves loosening/removing the brass stop nut.)
2. Line up the springless “empty” regulator slotted shafts with the donor’s slotted shafts that have the springs still installed. Make sure the slots on the two regulators line up as you will be transferring springs across from one regulator to the other.
3. Using long screws, screw the two regulators together through their mounting holes so the empty shafts line up donor’s shafts. The shafts should be touching to facilitate the transfer.
4. Now you can pry the donor spring onto the other regulator. I’ve used various sized straight and angled flat headed screw drivers.
Take your time! Having the regulators attached to each other minimizes any danger of the springs becoming projectiles.
38convsedan is offline   Reply With Quote