Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
spdster

Default 1934 Ford radiator - mea culpa

In the last 6 months I have purchased two 1934 Ford oem original radiators. One in Canada and one at Hershey 2016 both had the same back history - you know the one - was taken off a running car blah blah blah both fellows appeared trustworthy. You live an learn the one from Canada was a religious icon - very holey- if it wasn't for the mouse nest and mouse by-products it would have leaked like Niagara Falls, the second one had a smaller mouse nest and was less religious (holey). Mea Culpa was that I should have inspected closer but you don't want to insult the seller, they both looked good it is amazing what paint and putty will do. Fortunately the between the two of them and a new core I was able to come up with one decent flathead (the Hershey radiator had been converted for a Chevy motor) radiator. I would have been further ahead buying a reproduction rad but I wouldn't have learned anything about radiators from an old timer - like explosive rivets.

Last edited by spdster; 11-10-2016 at 08:16 PM.
spdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 1934 Ford radiator - mea culpa

i too have a couple questionable ones, and went with the new 1100.00 brassworks to avoid more problems. new core is cheaper if you have good tanks, but 80 year old brass is brittle and can crack when your repair shop is trying to make it work. new is a lot of $, but one less headache
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

on the other hand----at Hershey I bought a 36 radiator because the top tank looked good,wanted it for "practice"before working on my "good" one 25$, probably less than scrap---when I got it home and looked close the core is perfect, tubes clean, holds water--both side straps are gone--rusted away to nubs on the lower mount
looks like my "good" radiator is loosing it's side straps
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Fortunateson

I have a '32 Model B tank that probably needs a new core. I want to use it with an 8ba engine. Is it feasible to convert the tanks for dual inlet/outlets? Or unless I can find very reasonable shop go see the bank manager and arrange a loan? LOL
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
Newc

Hi all; The '32 V8 rad has different tanks than the B. Especially the bottom tank. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
stangblue

my 02. I found that when storing old radiators for some some length of time without coolant (Anti Freeze) in them they tend to rott on their own. I know plugging them and filing with coolant makes them heavy but it tends to keep them in better shape over time.