Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
karasmer

Default E code duel quads value??

I am looking at a few cars today and apparently the guy has an e code engine set up for duel or triple quads 1957? ( if I heard him right) I am not into that era at all so I did not get into it anymore but will be looking at it shortly. Any rough ideas on value of something like this? suppose it's tough to say without more info.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: E code duel quads value??

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
I am looking at a few cars today and apparently the guy has an e code engine set up for duel or triple quads 1957? ( if I heard him right) I am not into that era at all so I did not get into it anymore but will be looking at it shortly. Any rough ideas on value of something like this? suppose it's tough to say without more info.

Yes, it is hard to say without knowing the condition, how complete the set-up is, and if it has the correct factory parts. I would say that about 70% of these set-ups I see, do not have the correct original dual quad carbs on them. To me, this really drops the value, but some of the sellers are kind of clueless and will not agree.

I have restored a couple of these set ups over the years, and can give you my opinion on the price of the components of a set-up that is restored and ready to run or show.

Carbs $1000 each
Intake manifold $500
Air cleaner assembly $800 (they reproduce them also)
Correct linkage $100
Fuel lines are all reproduced and very cheap.
Carb spacers $40 each
The correct garbage can fuel filter is also reproduced and guessing at the price of about $600 ?

All of this adds up to about $4100, but like I said, this to me is based on a show ready complete setup. You don't see complete set-ups that often with all of these parts, but I do see the prices vary a lot on EBAY, based on condition and correctness.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
paul2748

Default Re: E code dual quads value??

The manifolds come up quite often on ebay. Most without carbs, but as was mentioned above, more than likely they are the wrong ones. However, the differences are minor and only the experts would know the difference.

More than likely, the TBird carbs are different than the ones for a sedan. Again, the differences are unlikely to be noticed unless your an expert.

What wasn't mentioned was the valley cover. It is specific to the dual quad manifold and somewhat rare. No idea on price.

Looking for 65 Fairlane exhaust parts
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
karasmer

I did not even have a chance to see the setup it was gone before I got there and I guess it sold for $5000.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
I did not even have a chance to see the setup it was gone before I got there and I guess it sold for $5000.

If you really still want a set-up like that, you can always buy the parts individually on EBAY. Manifold and carbs are not re-produced, but you can get a good used manifold and '56 Ford, Mercury or T-Bird teapot carbs instead of the originals. Air cleaner, bellcrank, fuel filter, and fuel lines are all reproduced. Also the valley cover pan should be available on EBAY. The pass car carbs are different in that they have a unique calibration and a port to balance the rear barrels of the carbs. Plus they do not have a spark valve for the Load-o-matic distributor advance system. !957 and later used ported vacuum and centrifugal advance instead of the Load-o-matic vacuum only.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
JeffB2

Check out this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-FORD-ME...a4ae13&vxp=mtr This will get a second look every time too! http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Y-BLOCK...744aa6&vxp=mtr Hard to believe that "back in the day" mid 60's these sold for $35 from Almquist and Honest Charlie.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
... http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Y-BLOCK...744aa6&vxp=mtr Hard to believe that "back in the day" mid 60's these sold for $35 from Almquist and Honest Charlie.
That one has been on ebay for months (years?) Check out how thin the left hand flange is machined. Also note that it has three 94's and one 97.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
JeffB2

Ed Almquist was an interesting man,Ryan posted pages from an old catalog with a lot of Almquist intake manifolds,makes one wonder who made them and what happened to the molds?? Ed is still around I think and living in Pennsylvania.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
spdster

I watched a dual quad setup move at Hershey over the course of a week to a number of different tables with increasing prices at each table. Unfortunately it wasn't a true setup but each seller claimed it was a proper setup. Not an AA or AB carb in sight, wrong fuel filter, even the wrong valley pan but it was being sold for top dollar to the unsuspecting. Learning about original equipment is getting more expensive with each wrong purchase.
spdster is offline   Reply With Quote