Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
Jay in Mass

Default Another 1954 Ford Question

A friend of mine bought a 54 Ford Victoria from a junk yard. It came with a very rough but repairable nose . He does not have a computer and I'm not good with one. Now he needs to find the frame number. We checked but we do not know where it is. Does someone have a 54 shop manual, or know where he can find the frame number so he can have the police check it and he can proceed with getting a title. One more thing, another one of my friends donated a real nice 1953 hood to him. Thanks Jay
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
GLAmes

Default Re: Another 1954 Ford Question

VIN numbers do not seem to be in the same places. My Skyliner has the VIN stamped on the rear crossover bar in front of the bumper, on the top. I haven't tried but you might be able to read it with a mirror. It also has the VIN stamped on the frame on the transmission support. I have a station wagon frame and also a Victoria parts car. Neither has the VIN stamped on the frame crossover and the wagon frame doesn't have one near the transmission. I haven't looked at the Victoria frame near the transmission mount.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
ventport

My 56 T-Bird has the frame stamped on the top of the frame directly under the heater blower on the passenger side. I don't know if yours is the same but it's easy to look with just opening the hood.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
dmsfrr

Usually on top of the right front frame rail, somewhere between the firewall & bumper depending on the model.
Very often hiding under a layer or two of paint & misc dirt.

Fyi, for some models Ford sold replacement frames without serial numbers, for use in accident repair. With the (existing) serial number to be stamped in during the reassembly process.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-30-2023 at 12:33 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #5
Merc Cruzer

Not sure if they are the same, but for 53' Mercury they are on the top of the front frame brace and the top of the last cross member of the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0701 (2).jpg (89.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 179.jpg (50.7 KB, 15 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:54 PM   #6
chain drive

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
top of right frame 6 to 8 inches back from the end of the front frame sand it off and the numbers will stay with paint in them there will be a star in front and back of the numbers if they are not there they have been ground off have seen that trick too the 1957 fords the # are on the right side above the idler arm bracket have fun
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #7
Lamar Wadsworth

My '55 has it stamped on top of the frame about where the front bumper brackets bolt on.
you have to take the splash pan off to see it. Does your car not have it on a plate on the A pillar just inside the driver's door?
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #8
Jay in Mass

Thank all of you for the help. Now we have a bunch of places to search for the numbers. The good thing is that the car does not have the nose on it, and there is no engine and transmission in it. I'll let you know where we find them. The search is on. Jay
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote