Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #981
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Yep, for many of us this hobby/passion is all about people . . . the cars/trucks are just a common bridge between us.

I've had more fun in my old 32 Cabriolet with its old paint, yellowed and stained top and various other imperfections than I've had in nicely restored cars. There is something about how these old cars that speaks to us - and all those who get to enjoy them with us.

Merry Christmas Chris and family - enjoy the season! I think you need a good ole' Spruce Christmas Wreath on the front of the 32.

BTW, my family has sure been enjoying your wonderful Maple Syrup.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #982
sugarmaker

Dale,
Hope things are good with you and family this holiday season!
Eat more pancakes! Glad you like the maple syrup. Another 2 months and we should be making syrup again.
Weather is colder today. Rhett and I set in the 32 as he waited for the bus. Then I went for a cool ride, about 8 miles.
Something electrical to fix now. The turn signals stopped functioning. Humm may still be under extended warranty??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #983
sugarmaker

Folks,
Out and about today. Rhett enjoyed the moments:

Parking lights:

Syrup deliveries with the ol' truck, stopped for a couple glamour photos in a wooded area along Reservoir Road. This could have been taken in about 1946.

Sure glad I did not talk myself into painting the rims when I had them apart. Was very tempting! But just would not look right in this picture.

Then hauled my self into town. First time at the NAPA store and It got some looks! Stopped by the upholstery shop to show him how the seats turned out too.
Darn near froze to death on the short trip about 10 miles. Miss the heated seats in the F250!

The flasher went bad in the turn signal switch. Took it apart and added a new wire to allow the flasher to be external to the switch assembly. It will be much easier to change if needed.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-22-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #984
sugarmaker

Folks,
Well my do nothing Christmas season is kicking in. Oh yea lots to do I just dont do it!
I am not a electrician (auto or buildings) But since I just took the antique turn signal switch apart yesterday, I may have a solution to the flashing bulb indicating that the signal is on. I would like to get this operational as it is a reminder to turn the signal off after the turn is completed. When I moved the flasher external and realized I only needed one wire from the flasher to the power side of the switch. I believe I can place this small indicator light in that circuit and it should work. I just could not get this correct before but may have had it wired up incorrectly, since the indicator light was not working very correctly!

Other potential project is to work in the shop on trim and finish the walls and ventilation in the air compressor closet.

Talked to 42 Deluxe and he is making good progress on his engine project Finding components from his inventory, cleaning and painting!

Hope things are good in Ford Land as we rapidly approach Christmas day!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #985
sugarmaker

double post sorry!
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-28-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #986
sugarmaker

Well folks,
I did some research on the thrust improvements and found good information that says if that's the issue a machine shop has to do the work on the block and the rear cap.
So I just put a bigger pan under the engine for the time being. Jumped in and made a big loop on the rough back roads.
I did figure out the turn signal indicator bulb issue. I need another light socket and bulb. Will shop NAPA for some correct size sockets. Then try it again. I really don't need these but they do remind me that the signal is still on.
Truck ran good. Horn is too cold to work in this freezing temps.
Little things like this keep me traveling along a well worn path with deep ruts. Humm? Maybe I should have been born in the 30's?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-23-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #987
koates

Hey Chris, If you buy a 12 volt 3 terminal flasher can then one of the terminals is marked P for pilot light. which will put flashing power to the pilot bulb center contact and the base of bulb to ground. This will flash the pilot bulb when the flashers are on left or right. Have a great Christmas. Love all the photos you have posted. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #988
sugarmaker

Kevin,
That's why your where your at and I am where I'm at! That may be just what I need to get that pesky little electrical detail working on the 32 turn signal system. Another reason folks are great on here!
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #989
Mart

Chris, I have used 3 pin flasher units as Kevin says and that is the best way to get a warning light. I also use a buzzer to remind me. On my 32 I found a 3 pin flasher intended for motorbikes that has a buzzer built in. The buzzers can be a bit strident but can be quietened down with a couple of wraps of electrical tape.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #990
GB SISSON

I just drive around with my left blinker on all afternoon. There is a left turn between me and town and with no inside indicater I just seem to forget it's on. It's all part of the charm and mystique of being and old guy driving his 'ragged ol truck' in town.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #991
sugarmaker

Mart, Gary, Folks,
Yep being a old guy, in a old truck with the blinker on for miles on a lonely stretch of back road, seems very fitting too!

I had several friends and family visit me in the "Rehab Center" today. Lots of the worlds problems are solved and we are better folks as a result of it!

Check in on 42 Deluxe's thread in a while too. I will have some pictures to post watching him work on his 59A-B engine parts. Very refreshing from my perspective! I am afraid he is cluttering my mind with Flathead information too!
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 12-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #992
Itchy-Pit

I loved this thread! Good thing you're across the country. I'd be on your doorstep for a ride! GREAT TRUCK! - Dennis
Itchy-Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #993
sugarmaker

Dennis,
Thanks, I had no clue that this ragged ol' truck would get this much traction on the Ford Barn! You are welcome to drop in for a ride anytime. Let me know and I can pick you up at the Erie airport. (About 35 miles from me)

Checking in on the thread maybe a little easier and less costly. On the other hand everyone that has ridden in the 32 likes the old truck a lot! Yep its all about the folks we connect with!

That is a awesome ride you have there! Please tell us about the 33 project too. Is there a thread on it?

Just picked up that three post blinker from NAPA today. Along with a stud extractor. Never had seen one before, now I have one. More tooling! May use it to help John with his 42 engine work.

Snow and wet roads and salt has kept the 32 in the shop. Plus I have completed several tasks. Like working on the inside of the small compressor room. Would love to stick a new 80 gallon unit in there! (Maybe?) Its only about 42 inches square inside so its going to be a snug fit for sure. The 60 gal Kobalt compressor from the house garage will probably go in there.

My crude attempt to allow some air flow in the small compressor room is a stack of filters near the floor and another bunch, above in the wall. Really not sure if this will work? Its another prototype, or wheel invention!
Lower left are filters:

The upper filters. Hard to get a good picture:

The old guys will meet here at shop the morning to drink coffee, eat snacks, BS, and we might even hunt for the Wiley Whitetail: with smoke poles or stick and string! Last year it was warmer outside than it was in the shop! Should be a good skift of tracking snow! Might even have pictures too? Imagine that!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 12-29-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:25 PM   #994
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Dennis,
Thanks, I had no clue that this ragged ol' truck would get this much traction on the Ford Barn! You are welcome to drop in for a ride anytime. Let me know and I can pick you up at the Erie airport. (About 35 miles from me)

Checking in on the thread maybe a little easier and less costly. On the other hand everyone that has ridden in the 32 likes the old truck a lot! Yep its all about the folks we connect with!

That is a awesome ride you have there! Please tell us about it too.

Just picked up that three post blinker from NAPA today. Along with a stud extractor. Never had seen one before, now I have one. More tooling! May use it to help John with his 42 engine work.

Snow and wet roads and salt has kept the 32 in the shop. Plus I have completed several tasks. Like working on the inside of the small compressor room. Would love to stick a new 80 gallon unit in there! (Maybe?) Its only about 42 inches square inside so its going to be a snug fit for sure. The 60 gal Kobalt compressor from the house garage will probably go in there.

My crude attempt to allow some air flow in the small compressor room is a stack of filters near the floor and another bunch, above in the wall. Really not sure if this will work? Its another prototype, or wheel invention!
Lower left are filters:

The upper filters. Hard to get a good picture:

The old guys will meet here at shop the morning to drink coffee, eat snacks, BS, and we might even hunt for the Wiley Whitetail: with smoke poles or stick and string! Last year it was warmer outside than it was in the shop! Should be a good skift of tracking snow! Might even have pictures too? Imagine that!

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
If you've got a Tractor Supply near you check out their IR 5 HP 80 gal 2 stage upright. Reasonably priced and they go on sale every now and again. I've got one in the corner of my shop. It's not all that noisy. I'll measure it tomorrow. It might fit.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #995
sugarmaker

'5150,
Yea thats the one that they have to keep wiping my drool marks off of at the Edinboro TSC store. It would be tight. Have to take the door off, but I think it would shoehorn in there. They are currently at $1200. It would be really nice to have a medium sized blast cabinet to clean up crusty old parts. And that Ingersoll Rand would do the job!
Thanks for the gentle push!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #996
sugarmaker

Deuce folks,
Another milestone for our cars and trucks! Happy New Year!
I took the dump truck for a ride last evening.
A look forward through the windshield:

All systems working pretty well for 90 years of age.
Hope 2022 will be a great year for everyone!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-01-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #997
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
'5150,
Yea thats the one that they have to keep wiping my drool marks off of at the Edinboro TSC store. It would be tight. Have to take the door off, but I think it would shoehorn in there. They are currently at $1200. It would be really nice to have a medium sized blast cabinet to clean up crusty old parts. And that Ingersoll Rand would do the job!
Thanks for the gentle push!
Regards,
Chris
Once you have a big enough compressor and a good blast cabinet, you'll wonder how the heck you lived without them before! There are so many parts that I've put through the blast cabinet to remove paint, rust, scale . . . that I could never accomplish with wire brushes and that gooey damn rust jelly!

But the highest capacity dual-stage compressor you can afford . . . it will NEVER be too big (in CFM). Obviously, it should be 220v.

Happy New Year Chris!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #998
sugarmaker

Dale, folks,
Don't the back of your 32 lights look just fine on the ragged ol' truck?
I have a couple other big ticket items coming up next week but the compressor is on the list too. We shall see. Working on completing some wood projects in the shop. The heavy access door is in place for items to be moved in and out of the loft if needed.

The fork lift gets right up to this 10 foot level:

Cheryl and I in the shop:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-02-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #999
ssffnomad

You folks enjoy .
Happy New Years to all
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #1000
sugarmaker

Ford barn folks, Stretch,
While John( 42 Deluxe) was here today working on his flathead intake manifold. I was jawing about the bad looking foot pads for the brake and clutch on the 32. John advised me to check with Bob Drake. Have two of them on the way. These have bugged me since I first looked in the Deuce's cab. So we will see how those look. Good way to start off the year! Also they may just be a birthday present to me! Hit the big 70 today! It's all down hill now!
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets