Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
B-nut

Default coils wedged tight !

Guys, one of my T coils is oozing oil when it warms up. Is there a trick to removing a or all coils. It is a 1924. They are wedged in there so tight I can't get enough purchase on it to pull it up. Thanks.
B-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: coils wedged tight !

The lips on 99% of the coil boxes are bent for this very reason; trying to get the coil out with a screw driver from the side. Try a small pair of vise grips on the taller points retaner posts and try to pull straight up... no reefing allowed. The coils may be bugarred up from previous attempts, so clean them up and consider a rebuild on the box. If youre not a purst, lay them flat on a sheet of some rufff sandpaper and take some meat off from three sides and radius the corners/edges as well. Give them a liberal coating with linseed oil when finished. They really should be a perfect fit in and out... once one is out the others will follow with ease! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
B-nut

Thanks yachtsmanbill ! Worked like a charm ! B-nut
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
yachtsmanbill

EXCELLENT!! Now ya gotta prove it with pictures! LOL...Im big on posting pics... it really ads to the reading! That, plus its good documentation for putting stuff back together!! ws

Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
[email protected]

I traded coils with the CEO of 'OSO HANDY RESTORATIONS' the other day. He also tested some I had gotten from him last fall. He made a face and a remark when he saw I had pried a couple of "his" coils out of my coil box with a screwdriver. Boy you talk about sensitive. I mean it's not like I stabbed the Mona Lisa or stole the gun used on Abe Lincoln (the republican bast_rd). I mean sure he really builds some nice coils and for sure they perform beautifully, but come on. Oh crap, wait a minute, hold everything, I haven't paid him for the new coils yet.

Well then, let me tell you young fella. Never, and I mean never pry your coils out with a screwdriver. Do it the way Will told you. And remember you should be happy to have a man as wise as Will giving you advice.

Sorry Andy! I didn't mean to piss in your soup.

Oh and Will, take a picture of this!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sobering thoughts.jpg (58.0 KB, 32 views)
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Great Lakes Greg

Being a novice in the "T" world, I first thought of a blast of compressed air through a hole in the bottom of the box. Not knowing how tight they really fit, this could have popped them up, no? If this is a bad idea, let me know and I'll go back to hanging around on the Model A forum.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
[email protected]

GLG, With Model T's anything that works is good enough. The coils shouldn't stick in the box but at times when they're rebuilt they don't always come back with the same exact dimensions as when they left. I just traded in 4 coils that were so tight I had a rough time getting them out of the box. The rebuilt coils slipped back in just fine. I'm very impressed with the job that was done and how well then went in. Along those same lines, I wouldn't be at all concerned with taking them to the belt sander and making some "fine" adjustments.

I'm more concerned about what oil like substance B-nut has running out of his coils. I'm no coil expert and have only seen the inside of a few of them but to the best of my knowledge all that's inside the coil is hard dry tar, a capacitor and a wire coil. Unless the capacitor is oozing something. Maybe Will or Andy can enlighten us.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
CharlieB

Here's a little something I did but the box was out of the car for a re-build: You know those phony credit cards some companies send with adverts? I save them. ( they make great edgers when redoing the silicone edging in tubs and showers). With the box re-assembled and that "bend the tabs" retainer that goes between #2 & 3 coils in place but not bent over, I slipped 2 of these cards into the box between the coils and the box edge on the side opposite the porcelain insulators. 2 cards properly placed gapped all 4 coils away from the box wall slightly. I then bent the tabs on the bar over the removed the cards. The coils are snug and they come out by hand. The box (pre '26) isn't hard to remove and if it's never been out to your knowledge it's worth a look any way.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
CharlieB

should say:' bent the tabs over AND removed the cards". dyslexic.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
dumb person

How does yachtsmanbill connect the spark plugs without the electrodes?
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
yachtsmanbill

That there my boy is a Model T diesel with glow plugs... Ya gotta follow the thred !! LOL ws

Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
B-nut

yachtsmanbill, I hate to admit I am one of those guys who have yet to figure out how to post pictures(or type). One of these days my son can teach me.This new camera is a real challenge as well.In this 24 woody I just had to remove the ignition/amp bracket pull straight up with a wiggle and out came the coil.First time out since 1958. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Farmallcub49

Are you going to rebuild these or do you need them rebuilt? Contact me if you are in need of someone to do this service.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote