Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Bob from Wis

Default Installing different front axle on 15 t

I'm in the process of installing a different front axle on a 15T and was wondering how to tell the front from the back or other wise the left side from the right side. I have a collection of 10 front axles and was wondering what to look for in a used axle so I can install one that is in good shape, other than the normal things like being straight and having good threads
Thanks inadvance
Note; I'm completely rebuilding my T and in doing so I notice my front axle isn't in very good shape
Bob
Bob from Wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Willie in Houston

Default Re: Installing different front axle on 15 t

Bob, I am not an axle expert, but I think there is no difference if you have a bare axle with no spindles or spring perches mounted.
The front axle on the right side has left hand thread and the left side has right hand thread.
If the spring perch is installed, they cause the bottom surface of the axle to slightly go forward. If the perches are installed backward, the bottom of the axle will be toward the rear. Steering will be terrible and the wishbone will appear to be to long.
So if the perches are installed in those used ones, there definitly is a front and back.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote