Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Will N

Default Clutch Pedal question

I was checking the adjustment of the clutch pedal the other day. I found that the pedal is loose on the shaft. That is, it will move maybe 15 degrees before the shaft starts to turn. That can't be right, right? I imagine that the hole in the shaft for the drift pin has ovaled over the years? Or, is there supposed to be some play in the pedal on the shaft so that it will release the clutch before it starts to tighten the low speed band?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: Clutch Pedal question

I would more likely expect wear is in the cams. See if shaft actually stays still when you depress pedal or is it just travel before contact with the cam?
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Will N

Hi Jack
The shaft actually stays still, and the pedal will move about 15 degrees before the play is taken up and the shaft starts to turn.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
46ford

If someone put a new pedal on the shaft, and elongated the hole...the pedal could be moving on the shaft. Sounds like that's what you've got.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I was checking the adjustment of the clutch pedal the other day. I found that the pedal is loose on the shaft. That is, it will move maybe 15 degrees before the shaft starts to turn. That can't be right, right? I imagine that the hole in the shaft for the drift pin has ovaled over the years? Or, is there supposed to be some play in the pedal on the shaft so that it will release the clutch before it starts to tighten the low speed band?

Don't drive it until you get it fixed, you can have some real serious problems. I would say about 60 percent, of shaft replacement, maybe more will never be as tight as factory. I always weld the end of the shaft to the pedal for safety, if you want to replace one again, all you have to do is grind the weld off, and you can't see it. Thanks Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Will N

Thanks to all who responded!

Good suggustion to weld to pedal, but I think I need to take the pedal off to see which way the hole in the shaft is buggered so that I can figure out where the pedal should line up on the shaft. Is there any particular direction that I should drive out the drift pin from- in other words, is the pin tapered? From my naked eye, both ends look to be the same diameter.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
jackdaron

It's a straight pin,just either remove it or support it well so you don't break the casting
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote