Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
scooder

Default Re: '39-'41 non-corrosive trans lube availability?

Ross I fully agree that it cant hurt to avoid oils that could hurt, But if this Sulfur compound has been used for ever in Ep oil, it aint done much bad either, apart from Dodge Cummins crowd had bunch of failures from towing heavy 5th wheels thru the desert in the summer. Then why avoid something that don't matter?
I belive somone said earlyer about the leadfree gas that will kill every engine built before some time in the 70's. That was a load of worry about almost nothing. Sure it was a problem with a certain use, high miles under heavy load and such (sounds similar to the Cummings in the desert story, d'ya think) And some engies that were made out of choclate, had valve seat resetion (sp?) Most of us have not had a problem. This discounts Flatheads and the like due to them already having hard seats, so it didn't worry them (us) at all. But there were many many companys trying to sell us magic in a bottle, or pellets in the tank or something you clip on your fuel line to stop the fuel killing our engines. These guys refused to belive that there was a load of engines built BEFORE the widespread use of lead in fuel. And obviuosly these engines were not efected.
I'm not saying its hogwash, just it sounds like the same thing over again.
I'd also like to know if the sulfer has been used for ever, or when did they start using it. This would help pin down the B.S from the real issue.
Don't like the point of folk worrying over something they don't have to worry over. And then we can get back to real issues, like vapour lock.
Many thanks
Martin. With my toung firmly in my cheek.
I wish I could spell tong, toughn, tung, whatever.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #22
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L. View Post
Oldrelics: I am in Canada too. I got my buddy Gerry to pick up a case of GL-1 at NAPA in Palm Springs. In Canada NAPA doesn't sell the same things as they do in the US. Anyhow, simple solution, reasonable price.
Mike L.
I agree. The NAPA GL1 90 wt Gear Lube is a straight mineral oil product no ep additives which matches the OEM spec for the 49 Merc O/D transmission I'm using in the truck. I was able to special order it in a 1 gal. container from the local NAPA dealer in WA.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #23
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
I agree. The NAPA GL1 90 wt Gear Lube is a straight mineral oil product no ep additives which matches the OEM spec for the 49 Merc O/D transmission I'm using in the truck. I was able to special order it in a 1 gal. container from the local NAPA dealer in WA.

Glad you popped along here, I'm also using a Merc overdrive in a pickup. Mines in my '42 . He's getting close to being on the road. You made my double check the lube spec for the trans.
I've just had a look in the '41-'48 service bulletins ( as late as my books go) and found this out.
Lincoln overdrive ( same b/w unit) '42 gear oil sae. 80 or 90. '42 and up to '47 sae 80 EP or 90 EP
I don't have lube sheet for the '49. Merc seems from above post they moved away from the EP for the Merc overdrive. Anybody know why? And these EP oils listed in the service bulletins anybody know if these early EP contained the sulfer that's bad? Or is it later oils with the bad stuff?
Many thanks
Martin
Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
rotorwrench

The Borg Warner overdive system uses a one way clutch (roller sprag clutch) to drive torque through and allow freewheel action. This clutch can slip under heavy load with a high EP gear lube like GL-5. The GL-4 is a medium EP that would be considered acceptable. GL-3 mild EP was originally utilized for this purpose but was replaced by GL-4 specs or you have to go back to GL-1 specs with no EP additives.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
scooder

Thanks Mr rench that answers the Merc gear oil question.
Martin.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #26
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Borg Warner overdive system uses a one way clutch (roller sprag clutch) to drive torque through and allow freewheel action. This clutch can slip under heavy load with a high EP gear lube like GL-5. The GL-4 is a medium EP that would be considered acceptable. GL-3 mild EP was originally utilized for this purpose but was replaced by GL-4 specs or you have to go back to GL-1 specs with no EP additives.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The use of non EP gear lube isn't necessarily related to degradation of yellow metals in the trans. In the 49-51 Merc/Lincoln Service manual the reference to the use of non EP gear lube shows up only in the O/D part of the transmission rebuild section.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
green50

Has anyone tried Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid in their Borg Warner O/D (49-50-51) transmissions?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #28
jake197000

what about the millions of transmissions out the with brass rings in them using generic gear oil.they work just fine.not saying some oils arnt better,they sure are but i think its a non problem.built hundreds of trans over the years.no oil related failures that i know of.as long as they were full.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #29
Milt K from Pa

NAPA's Sta-lube 85/90 IS GL4. I use it in my gear box. It helps make shifting easier than the 140.
Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #30
corvette8n

I get GL-1 at Tractor Supply in 5 gal. Containers for my Ford 8N, not sure if they have any stores in Canada, but try your local tractor store.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #31
Talkwrench

Penrite Mild EP or The T-140 transoil but only use it if your in a hot climate.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #32
green50

Just picked up some GL-1 at NAPA for the 50 O/D trans. I'll be doing the swap soon. Sorry for the sideways pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20140329_125126.JPG (44.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #33
scooder

Gene, be sure to pop back in here with your results please.
Many thanks,
Martin.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
jon laing

Finding a sulfur free sae 90 or 140 has become a challenge. I find those listed on this site are no longer available, they contain sulfur or nobody knows if they contain sulfur. Can someone tell me one that will not cause corrosion in transmision or rear end, has sae 90 and/or 140 wt. and is readily available? Thanks Jon Laing
jon laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
rotorwrench

The old GL-3 rating was replaced by the later GL-4 rating on gear lubricants. GL-4 is considered mild EP with very low sulphur content. NAPA and some others still offer GL-4. The only lubes available with no sulphur are the GL-1 rated lubes which have no extra pressure additives. Lubriplate still makes them under the SPO series and they are available from a distributor of their products or you can buy from Restoration Supply Co.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote