Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
BillCNC

Question Luggage Rack Assembly

Hey all,

I just finished with my scratch built trunk. I used some marine grade plywood and Honduran Mahogany that was left over from building a couple of hydroplanes years back. I also painted up a new set of extended brackets with VHT chassis/rollbar paint.

However, I need to assemble my luggage rack abd I cant find the pictures OI took for reference. Does anyone k now of a diagram of the assembly off the rack? Not the mounting of the rack, but the actual assembly of the rack folding frame mechanism.

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230606_175929.jpg (114.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20230606_180031.jpg (120.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20230606_180013.jpg (104.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20230606_103931.jpg (128.4 KB, 72 views)
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #2
burner31

Default Re: Luggage Rack Assembly

Wow, very, very nice trunk. Looks pro-built
Sorry I can't help with a rack assembly diagram.
I could send pics of my rack, but not sure how much help that would provide you.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
TerryO

Nice...

TOB
TerryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:57 AM   #4
rotorwrench

This is a temporary link to Amazon but it has an illustrations of one type of rack.
https://www.amazon.com/1928-31-Ford-.../dp/B07B8WM2YY

There may have been several aftermarket racks made for the Ford. Do you know which you have?

Having made a wood case before, I know how much fun it is to join things. I used solid wood though. The marine grade plywood is petty uniform so that likely made it just a little easier. Those trunks are expensive if you have to purchase them. Yours looks very good and is likely more the way you want it anyway.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-07-2023 at 10:16 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:25 PM   #5
BillCNC

Thanks Guys,

I went to breakfast with a few fellow model "A'ers: today and took pictures of their racks and as I suspected, All the same rack except for one, but they all had different arrangement of washers so I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it works. I was just hoping for the intended order of assembly.

The wood was built to last. I built a couple of hydroplanes back in 2011-12 and I had the ply and mahogany stored away begging To be used. The top and bottom ends are built from 11-layer .625" Marine ply. The front, back and bottom are 3-layer .250" marine ply and the top is 3-layer .125" marine ply. I soaked the .125" top lpy underwater in the bathtub for 24 hours so it would easily bend to make the radius smooth and even. All the mahogany had already had the thickness planed to .500" so that was fine and only needed to be ripped and shaped.

The outside covering is marine grade black naugahyde and the bottom was one piece and the top was made with three. The interior was covered in a gray faux suede. All were individual pieces. All fabrics were bought from Joanns at 50% off for a total of about $60. out the door.

I used three Harbor Freight 40" aluminum rulers to edge the lip of the trunk for protection and it's raised up .375" above the lip for a dust seal.

The hardware ... LOL, ... I looked at the locking hardware from the "A" suppliers and they ALL have the same flaw, ... The screws are exposed, so what's the point? I bought my hardware from Home Depot. a pair of locks and the arms for under $10.00 out the door. I already had the hinge, but it's gold so I might swap that out, who knows.

The straps I'm making now, but I think these will be the prototype version. I bought some black leather belts for a 56" waist for $20.00 each to make the straps.

For the rack wood strips, I'll make new pieces from the mahogany.

I'll see if I can get it all done and mounted before a car show this Saturday.

Regards
Bill
Old 06-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #6
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Thanks Guys,

I went to breakfast with a few fellow model "A'ers: today and took pictures of their racks and as I suspected, All the same rack except for one, but they all had different arrangement of washers so I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it works. I was just hoping for the intended order of assembly.

The wood was built to last. I built a couple of hydroplanes back in 2011-12 and I had the ply and mahogany stored away begging To be used. The top and bottom ends are built from 11-layer .625" Marine ply. The front, back and bottom are 3-layer .250" marine ply and the top is 3-layer .125" marine ply. I soaked the .125" top lpy underwater in the bathtub for 24 hours so it would easily bend to make the radius smooth and even. All the mahogany had already had the thickness planed to .500" so that was fine and only needed to be ripped and shaped.

The outside covering is marine grade black naugahyde and the bottom was one piece and the top was made with three. The interior was covered in a gray faux suede. All were individual pieces. All fabrics were bought from Joanns at 50% off for a total of about $60. out the door.

I used three Harbor Freight 40" aluminum rulers to edge the lip of the trunk for protection and it's raised up .375" above the lip for a dust seal.

The hardware ... LOL, ... I looked at the locking hardware from the "A" suppliers and they ALL have the same flaw, ... The screws are exposed, so what's the point? I bought my hardware from Home Depot. a pair of locks and the arms for under $10.00 out the door. I already had the hinge, but it's gold so I might swap that out, who knows.

The straps I'm making now, but I think these will be the prototype version. I bought some black leather belts for a 56" waist for $20.00 each to make the straps.

For the rack wood strips, I'll make new pieces from the mahogany.

I'll see if I can get it all done and mounted before a car show this Saturday.

Regards
Bill
Bill,

The trunk came out fantastic! Did you use any drawings or instructions? If so, can you please share them?
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
BillCNC

Hi DJ, ... Sure, here you go, ... From MAFCA web site, but you might want to disreguard the price list, ... unless you want to dream.

https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Tech...hall_Lewis.pdf

Regards
Bill

Last edited by BillCNC; 06-08-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:21 PM   #8
BillCNC

Mic Drop Moment...

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230607_190835.jpg (96.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20230607_171314.jpg (91.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #9
Gene F

Nice job. I am impressed.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
mercman from oz

Bill, you did a great job on this Trunk. Looks great. Very impressive.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:44 PM   #11
mercman from oz

Going the extra mile and adding a Fridge and Table
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote