Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
Brian

Smile Don't throw anything away

All you guys that keep pondering what to do with [you think!] fatally cracked blocks need to read this link fully. Amazing, but these guys are correct in their assumptions.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1429413314
Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
Fibber Mcgee

Default Re: Don't throw anything away

I completely agree. Save everything you can. No telling what technology will be available in the future to repair parts that don't seem worth repairing today.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
colin1928

While I agree that technology is make more things possible the skills that were used to repair that block and others with less damage are sadly being rapidly lost
This has become a throw away world where most young guys have no idea that thing were once repairable
Do not wait get parts repaired now while the guys with the skills are still around
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
BILL WZOREK

My Expression is Any thing is REPAIRABLE / REBUILDABLE if you Have deep enough pockets
The real question is: Is it cost effective ---
Yes I agree DON'T throw any thing away / my 5 trailers full show how strongly I believe that . lol / lol
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
I completely agree. Save everything you can. No telling what technology will be available in the future to repair parts that don't seem worth repairing today.
Exactly what i have said for years now.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That is downright inspiring! Kind of like the article in Rod in Custom magazine about 1954, in which a guy sawed up two T blocks and about four each cranks and cams and built a 6-cylinder T engine in his back yard! That guy actually built a fire brick oven around the blocks as he welded them, preheating, removing a few bricks to do the welds, restacking, keeping the thing hot...
On saving old flatheads: Look around. More new crank assemblies, more suppliers of internals and externals, repros or re-issues of more and more speed equipment, are popping up all over. We are in a golden age...EXCEPT for blocks. There are initiatives, but so far no one has come out with a mail order new block for us, and the one that seems (and has seemed for a decade or more) to be closest to actually arriving also promises to be insanely expensive.
We are now re-finding blocks that someone else discarded or passed over for good reasons years ago, and dragging lumps out of ditches and fields, naturally meaning that a high percentage are cracked. Blocks are the shortage now. Fixing a few cracks is likely to start sounding cheap real soon...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
tubman

When the current generation passes, I wonder how many good blocks will "come out of the woodwork"? I'm just a neophyte at this, but I have three spares (two complete engines and a good block). Also, I'm not even primarily a flathead guy like most of you. My interests run from early hemi's to Corvettes and points beyond. I'll bet there are guys out there that have dozens of them stashed away that they will never use.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
bobH

You make me think of a guy I met, Riverside area (I think), that has maybe 50-75 bare blocks, mostly 59A's, all stored indoors, neatly arranged racks, catagorized & a notebook of notes on each one, bore size, any mods, etc.
I was looking for a builder-block, so I looked. I could have a choice of any - 5 bills each, and no promises, no guarantees. I passed.
The guy is older than me, meaning at least early 80's. I wonder what will become of them. What I've seen more than once, family has no knowledge or interest, someone cleans house, they go on a trailer or truck-load, and go by the pound for scrap.
Not very long ago, one of my friends passed, the crew came, loaded about 5 trailers with T, A, and early V8 stuff, and took it to the local metal dealer. It hurts...
JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
TomT/Williamsburg

There is a shop in Ohio called Zakiras that resurrects and remake Frank Miller race cars. What they make out of bits and pieces is amazing ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Byron Warwick

I know that most of the repies were from Down under from NorthAmerica. Does anyone in the US or Canada know of a shop that can do such repairs. A friend has a 1911 Overland engine that needs that type of repair. Any leads appreciated. Byron W.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Warwick View Post
I know that most of the repies were from Down under from NorthAmerica. Does anyone in the US or Canada know of a shop that can do such repairs. A friend has a 1911 Overland engine that needs that type of repair. Any leads appreciated. Byron W.
Byron, United Weling Processes is the place. They are the experts. Ted
1870 Meyerside Drive, Mississauga, ON
905-670-7444
www.uwp.ca
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
CarlG

It is a whole lot more fun GIVING something away that will eventually get fixed & used than to throw it away and it's lost forever.

Just gave away some parts last night that had been on my shelf for several years. You'd a thought that I had given him a pot of gold!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote