Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
ctvpa

Default Gold stripe

O-kay, please help me. I have a 28 tudor, it is my baby. I bought it in 1975 and it was my daily driver for over 10 years through high school and college.
I am just compleating a 3 year ground up, but it is not a points car. It is Bonnie Grey / Chelse Blue (green) and I added armrests in the back, float a motor, and other things. Now I have a pnstriper who has presented a thought.
Rather than put the 2 stripes on the ridge, he is saying a 3/4 inch 21 kt Gold, like the lettering on a fire truck, with the cream boarder.
I really think it will set my car apart, but I am looking for input. So many have said "It's you car, do it your way" but I want input from others. At the recent Maine meet and there was a great car that was cream with chocolate fenders. Not a standard color, but looked differend and everyone who walked by commented that it looked great.
Please help me out, should I be bold and different, or keep it standard.
Thanks
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
jjcom

Default Re: Gold stripe

Picturing the proposed color scheme in my head, it sounds pretty good. Not something that you see everyday I feel like it would go with the colors. If you're not going for a perfect points car, then make it unique and go for it.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Aerocraft

As a purist, I believe it is hard to beat Henry's original selections. If you go with gold, I would keep it narrow. Try it with tape first on one side. The bottom line is it's your call. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Gold stripe

I consider myself a traditionalist more then a purist. And beleive in staying within the norm's of an era rather then exactness. Gar makes
a lot of sense in starting out with a thin line and going from there.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Chris in WNC

you might want to rethink the float-a-motors also.
I ran them for 10 years and then put stock mounts back on after reading what was posted here & elsewhere.
was not able to discern ANY difference in vibration..........
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
kenparker

Are you refering to Gold Paint OR Gold Leaf like the fire trucks are done in. I thing the Gold Leaf wuld be really cool, unique and classy. Your post says 3/4" wide. Thats too wide, are youe sure or does it suppose to be 1/4".

I painted my S/W Fordor dark red and black with maroon wheels. Had a hard time trying to find a pinstripe color that looks right . Ended up uning a chrome double pinstripe. Not "Henry" but I luv it.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
ctvpa

Thank you all for your help.

It is gold leaf that is 'spun' to have a circular pattern, like the fire truck lettering pattern. If you think of the correct pattern for a Tudor, he would place the gold between the two pinstripes. It would use the correct cream pinstripe as the boarder.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
glenn in camino

Your car, your stripes.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

I would ask your striper what it would take to remove it if you don't like it. I've seen a number of folks make choices only to fine they didn't visualize it accurately at all and have major regrets. Getting rid of it may entail repainting the belt line and getting a new stripe so be prepared!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
heneste

If you know someone who's good with photoshop, you can also take a snapshot of your car and have them edit your paint scheme on to see if you like the choice of colours before getting into any paint jobs directly.

Sounds like a neat choice of colours.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
700rpm

Gilding the lily.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
Your car, your stripes.
Not my cup of tea but I also agree, Your car, your stripes.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

On my sold "30 coupe, I once considered doing all the belt mouldings in WOODGRAIN????? Bill W.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Just don't turn it into a circus vehicle ! People know Model A's are not bizaar and that sounds off the wall. Just make sure that if you do it that it can be easily removed. You will in my opinion know immediately and that will be before you do the second side ! I painted the Ford logo on the back of my Roadster pickup the same color as the rims and pinstriping ( apple green ) The purists don't like it but I do and that means it stays ! I bought it and paid for it and it is going to look the way I want it. I have had far more compliments than criticisms !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief taught me to be an independent thinker & not to do whatever the "IN CROWD" was doing, they're like a crowd of MONKEYS!! Bill W.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
w.michael

I regret not following the restoration guidelines exactly in having the coupe striped. I selected a Model A stripe color and pattern, but not correct for the standard coupe. Wish I had done it correctly the first time. Too expensive to correct my bad decision now. That's just my experience. It's your car.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by heneste View Post
If you know someone who's good with photoshop, you can also take a snapshot of your car and have them edit your paint scheme on to see if you like the choice of colours before getting into any paint jobs directly.
Photoshop to test it, yes.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #18
tbirdtbird
BANNED

anyone can do anything they want to a car. the issue down the road becomes, will it be harder to sell it if not done in a traditional/Henry manner? And, let's face it, eventually, every car will be sold. You would have to find another person who likes the idea of a 3/4 inch gold stripe down the side of the car. i do find it a little off the wall that a professional striper would come up with this idea, tho
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
i do find it a little off the wall that a professional striper would come up with this idea, tho
Ok, I refrained from saying "I'd find a different striper!" as it strikes me as a rather odd suggestion coming from a striper that has any real experience with vintage and/or custom cars. However that doesn't mean there won't be some folks that love it.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
ctvpa

Thanks to all, I am going to photoshop it and see. I have had the car for 40 years, bought it when I was 16 1/2 and just got my license. My dad held firm, if he bought it, he drives it, so it was my daily driver for 10 years (winter & summer in New England with a 52 mile commute each way to my first job) . Just funnishing a 4 year ground up. It will be sold long after I have any say in it, and I will not get any of the cash.
Thanks to all, this is a great site.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
lance leblanc

Was in Memphis last year and saw a 31 coupe that was painted two tone pink! First impression was Barf! But after meeting the sweet seasoned woman that owned and drove it, It worked... Besides the colors were the perfect contrast to her Blue hair.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
dumb person

i saw a red & white car painted black yesterday but it was not paint it had no drying time & was could be changed back in minutes. Does the pinstriper do race cars in vinyl? If you picked up some offcuts from a signwriter/racecar-decal place you might be able to put the stripe on and if it looks wrong you can peel it off and trim it down until it looks better.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
visionary

As a pinstriper for 36 years i would recomend Asking if he would do the gold stripe in real gold leaf or vinyl leaf, most of all fire trucks are done in vinyl leaf these days. it's actualy real gold impregnated onto a vinyl membrane and is cut into shape with a plotter or can be bought in 3/4" wide rolls very cheaply.

Wether he's doing it in vinyl or not have him do one panel using the sign gold vinyl and apply the hand painted stipes to border it as he has proposed, the pinstripe paint can be wiped off up to 3 hours later with reducer and the sign gold should be easy to remove if you don't like the look.

Or another thought spray out a sheetmetal panel the same colors as your car and give it to the striper to do a test panel for your aproval.

And for future referance old pinstriping can be removed with easy off oven cleaner without damage to the vehicle paint so long as it's a good quality paint job and not a rustolium job.

http://www.quick-signgold.com/applyi...illustrations/

Scott
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
todd3131

It is your car if you like it do it, it can always be reversed someday.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
ctvpa

He is a 30 year pin striper, he uses 21 kt gold leaf swirls it and seals it. His car is his 'test car' and he has striped all of it, so you can see what it will look like. He does mostly dealer striping, this new 'hidden stripe' where you can only see the stripe at different angles. He showed me the gold, and thought that with my car being dark, the gold would make it different and stand out. He does not do any vinyl work, all with a squirrel hair brush.
I like to see things as original, but I also like my car to have a personality. I have MacBeth Lenses, and put 1930 arm rests in by the rear seat. I was at the new england reg in Maine, and there was a 30 roadster with brown fenders and a cream body, every person that went by it really gave it the once over.
Thanks to all for your input, I will post photos if I do it.
Thanks to all
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
Ed Saniewski

I would also suggest trying the vinyl gold tape first. Any truck lettering shop can make you a strip of turned gold leaf vinyl that you can put on and easily remove if you don't like it. It is a lot cheaper then having the real gold applied and then trying to remove it.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote