Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default First powdercoating

My spray painted straw wheels now sport new 16" Coker Classics, spare still old black. Never powdercoated anything before, so I'm doin' the spare. Will I become ADDICTED & maybe have to go to a RE-HAB? I heard that a friend just had a hood powdercoated, velly intelesting! Maybe, next, a WHOLE car??? Bill W.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Ken B

Default Re: First powdercoating

I am in the process of rebuilding a chassis. All of the black parts have been powdercoated. Everything came out great. They used a semi-gloss black that is used by Caterpillar on their heavy equipment. I hope to post some pictures soon. I found a commercial powdercoating business about an hour from here in Central Wisconsin that is very reasonable.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Bet it looks great, Ken, my friend around the corner built a beautiful Early '30 Deluxe Roadster & had almost everything powdercoated. I paid $42.00 for sandblast & powdercoating, very reasonable, I thought. Bill W.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I've seen some nice wheels and frames that have been powdercoated, but I'm sticking with spray paint. I can't inagine hoods powdercoated.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've seen some nice wheels and frames that have been powdercoated, but I'm sticking with spray paint. I can't inagine hoods powdercoated.
I can't either, gotta' get on the grapevine after daylight & find out the "skinny"
He has a Nail Head powered '50's style roadster that suffered a broken gas line fire recently, maybe it's that hood??? Bill W.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
MikeK

I praise the durability of powder when it's on, but curse the tenacity when I have to remove it.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
cooke

I think powder coating is over rated; I does look good but wont last forever, in my opinion. I have had the frame to my T powder coated and lots of other parts for other cars. The main problem with powder coating is if it gets even a small scratch, moister can and will start to get under it and in time can peel off in sheets. If you get a small scratch you can seal it up with some touch up paint to seal it but thats a nuisance. I have switched back to paint, I can do it myself and in most cases if properly applied will last just as long. Just my opinion I am sure others have theirs.
cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke View Post
I think powder coating is over rated; I does look good but wont last forever, in my opinion. I have had the frame to my T powder coated and lots of other parts for other cars. The main problem with powder coating is if it gets even a small scratch, moister can and will start to get under it and in time can peel off in sheets. If you get a small scratch you can seal it up with some touch up paint to seal it but thats a nuisance. I have switched back to paint, I can do it myself and in most cases if properly applied will last just as long. Just my opinion I am sure others have theirs.

Well you may be right, so lets compare Apples-to-Apples here and talk about the differences.

You are correct that powder-painted items won't last forever, ...however surely we would all agree that neither will spray paint!

Generally speaking, most people fnd that correctly applied powder paint is more resistant to scratches/gouges due to the mil thickness however you are correct as they can be scratched/chipped with abuse. Ironically, catalyzed urethane is equally susceptible to having moisture creep underneath if exposed to the same conditions. I will disagree with your comment how that powder paint will peal off in sheets, as I am of the opinion the only way that would happen is if the mechanical bond between the surface and the paint was compromised. I feel certain the same would happen with sprayed urethane if the mechanical bond was compromised in the same exact manner.

One other thing regarding durability between the two, might I suggest taking two pieces of aluminum foil and spray one with your favorite paint, and powder paint the other foil. Cure/bake both products as per manufacturers recommendations and then fold/bend/crumple both sheets of aluminum and see which coating peels first!!

In the case of either type of coating (sprayed or powder), if either gets scratched/chipped, the common sense approach would be to repair the damaged area. Powder painted surfaces can be repaired just as easily as a sprayed 2k urethane. In the case of powder, we can repair it with 2k urethane, or apply a slurry mix of powder and bake it with a heat gun.

Now lets talk of the benefits of powder vs. 2k urethane. Unless someone has the capability to spray/cure waterborne paint, the powder is much more friendly to the environment, -and to our health due to isocyanates & solvents in the sprayed paint! The set-up cost and the material costs of powder paint are much lower when comparing equal quality of either product. For those of us who can apply both materials, the time savings applying & curing powder applied paint is generally much greater than with sprayed paints. Time savings = $$ savings.

With regard to applying powder paint to sheetmetal, what most people fail to realize is a top quality 2k urethane paint when dry is actually a plastic film, ....and powder paint when cured is a plastic film. That's right, they are the same basic product. Therefore when someone says one lasts longer than the other, if they are the same, then how can their statement be true? In my mind it is simple, few of us would ever consider painting our Model-A with Tractor Supply brand Black paint, --yet often times people do that with powdercoating. When a top quality powder is applied with a top quality gun, the flow-out of the powder applied surface is very smooth. Many people don't realize that we can colorsand & buff powder paint and the finish will look just like rubbed lacquer. It won't have the same depth as sprayed urethane does because the powder is made up of just colored pigments whereas the urethanes usually have a clear binder added and the mil thickness is greater.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Logan

Here's my opinion on powder coating (pc). Pc will chip just like paint will. In fact it can even chip easier than paint will. I see the desire to have a chassis PC'd. You send it to somebody all ugly and rusty, and you get it back all shiny and black, and all you have to do is hand over the money. But PC is not always the better option. With paint you can prime and block your chassis. That way the frame rails look smooth as glass when it's all done. You can also buff your frame if its painted and it starts to fade after a few years. And yes paint obviously chips, but it most likely will not peel off in sheets like pc will. You can also touch up your paint, and if you need to on a show car, if you get a big chip, you can feather out your chip and do a paint blend and nobody will ever know it had been chipped before.

The only thing i would consider powder coating would be wheels. And that's because they are a pain in the ass to sandblast, prime, and paint. For about $65 (in dfw) I can get a wheel blasted and powder coated. I can't clean on up and paint it cheaper than that once I have my labor and materials cost factored in.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
heck91426

Been powdercoating at home for a few years. Did a bunch of suspension stuff on my 56 F100.
In my opinion powder is good for things that are hard to spray, (wheels, round tubes, etc. ) it looks good and is pretty durable.
After 6 years and 6000 miles, wherever there is a rock chip, is goes right to bare metal and has a rust pit. Maybe paint would have held up better because it has primer and paint. But powdercoating is pretty easy, and it is nearly impossible to make it "run"
heck91426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Jazzjr

If I get a Chip in any of my Power Coatings, Wheels, Backing Plates, Steering Arms, etc. I touch them up Immediately, by using a Popsicle stick to blend a small amount of PC Powder and Lacquer Thinner, placed on the Chip with an Artist Brush.
Some areas I use a Heat Gun to Pre Heat the Metal and sprinkle on the Powder, (wheels) heat again till it turns Glossy. Most repairs cover so you don't even notice the damaged area.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Patrick L.

A friend is in the blasting and refinishing business. I've hung around and kinda worked with him over the years. He was big in powder-coating, but, has now gone to electro-static painting. He hasn't been too impressed with the powder but is really liking the paint.
I'm pretty old fashioned and have always preferred paint, and , I'm also really liking the electro-painting. Time will tell. I like primer, so I think the paint will win my favor also.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
stainless steve

Bill , Buster T ,and Vermin I have used both powdercoat and spray coatings for many years .not so much as an entire frame but ..never the less its very durable and for things like wheels IMO is a very good use for it ..they are developing newer colors all the time.but to each his own ..if you want to spent your money that way powdercoating everything more power to you its your car . Reminds me of the days when guys had to chrome everything.you will like powdercoated wheels since you have a driver
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

I had my huckster wheels powder coated about 2 years ago. They still look great. If I remember it costs about $30 some per wheel.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
rons49

Had my engine pans, radiator valence and all 5 wheels coated 7 years & not a single flaw. Can't tell from the laquered fenders. I do use the cups under the lugs as not to tempt fate and way more durable when changing a tire.
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
denis4x4

The fenderless roadster (Model A powered) in my avatar was built 13 years ago and all of the running gear, wheels and frame are powder coated black or red. A couple of chips on the radius arms have been touched up with areosol PC provided by the shop that did the work. Again, the quality of PC varies from shop to shop. I swear by it and use a shop that has provided quality work for the past 14 years. I also have a boat trailer that was powder coated 7 years go. Been in salt as well as fresh water and still looks like new. Current price for 16" wire wheels blasted and powder coated is $50 per wheel.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steve View Post
Bill , Buster T ,and Vermin I have used both powdercoat and spray coatings for many years .not so much as an entire frame but ..never the less its very durable and for things like wheels IMO is a very good use for it ..they are developing newer colors all the time.but to each his own ..if you want to spent your money that way powdercoating everything more power to you its your car . Reminds me of the days when guys had to chrome everything.you will like powdercoated wheels since you have a driver
Well, Steve, "POOR" Bill's only doin' the spare, if the color isn't a "perfect" match, nobody will notice. Couldn't spring for a new COKER for the spare. Using an ancient, crack free, DENMAN or maybe it's a LESTER, I forget, with great patina. It has medium raised letters stating, "NOT TO BE USED ON CARS MANUFACTURED AFTER 1948" Mounting it with lettering across the top for a great conversation piece. I UNWHITEWALLED it by scrubbing it with LYSOLL BIO-DEGRADABLE KITCHEN CLEANER, in a WHITE spray bottle with a PURPLE top & steel wool. Then used black leather dye, then black shoe wax.
Important: DO try that cleaner, it has some weird ingredient I never heard of, it'll clean almost ANYTHING! including varnish like brake pad deposits on mag wheels that wouldn't even clean off with lacquer thinner or acetone, makes black rubber stuff on modern cars look NEW, makes black tires look like you just bought them, if kept wet for awhile, it'll soften baked on piles of "GOO" in the bottom of the oven even, & doesn't harm paint or varnish! When a week long rain caused HORDES of ANTS in my galley, we sprayed them with it & they DIE in a milli-second without the use of poisons. "Poof" a fly on the window screen & same thing! DO try this cleaner, you'll be AMAZED!! Been using it for years
DON'T worry, I'm NOT gonna' share a RECIPE today. Bill W.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
stainless steve

Cool Re: First powdercoating

Thanks for the info Bill .I will try it. Sounds to me like your spare tire is perfect. I dont even own a tire for my ..A.. yet. maybe by the time I am ready I can spring for some of those "Fancy" COKERS
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steve View Post
Thanks for the info Bill .I will try it. Sounds to me like your spare tire is perfect. I dont even own a tire for my ..A.. yet. maybe by the time I am ready I can spring for some of those "Fancy" COKERS
Yo, FRIEND,
Not fancy, just the cheapest! Still cost me $671.50, mounted & balanced, and I furnished the new tubes. They're Coker Classics, 6:00 X 16" bias ply. They look good, like that look from the past & they're Polyester, so they won't go "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VERMIN.jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
stainless steve

YO FRIEND ..I know those rubbers are EXSPENSIVE no matter where you get them
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
ctvpa

FYI, every person who has had their wheels coated, it has cracked al all the stress points. The worst is where the spokes meet the tire rim, and around all the lug nuts. This happened in months.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #22
Racur96

I've been powder coating things for a few years & just bought out a pc business that ill be picking up next week so I can do larger items. It's just like the paint as far as prep work goes, there are quite a few different types of powder, you can also use primers fillers etc. IMHO if done right with the correct prep work they should hold up fine as it is a fairly flexible coating. This doesent mean finding the cheapest shop around that's trying to make a quick dollar. The stripping, cleaning, prep work, type of coating, bake time etc has a lot to do with how long and well the final product Will hold up.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Arlen

I got so addicted to powder coating that I bought a kit from Eastwood and coat my own now
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
FYI, every person who has had their wheels coated, it has cracked al all the stress points. The worst is where the spokes meet the tire rim, and around all the lug nuts. This happened in months.
My experiences do not agree with your comments.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I'll have to check but a couple of guys I know had it done a few years ago I'll have to ask them to check and see if it happened to them.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
MikeK

Quote:
Powder will get brittle if it is way overbaked. So will 2K of you use way too much hardener and then sunlamp the hexx out of it. "Operator error" as they say. It may also be a materials issue. I know Tiger powder is consistent. So is paint from major brand lines. Lesser materials may yield unknown gremlins.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
PetesPonies

I have powder coats a few things around my shop. Mostly for myself, but have done a few for customers. But not having a "perfect" area to spray the powder ( typical paint booth only ) I find it a helluva mess to deal with. Just me opinion.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
jerry shook

Logan. you made the statement IN YOU POST. PC WILL CHIP JUST LIKE PAINT WILL, IN FACT IT CAN EVEN CHIP EASIER. I DON"T DO POWDER COATING MYSELF BUT I DO HAVE IT DONE A LOT ON THE CARS I FIX AND THINK THAT"S THE ONLY WAY TO GO. I HAVE USED A HAMMER TO SHOW PEOPLE WHO ASK WHY I LIKE IT, HAVEN CHIPPED ANY THING YET. AND HAVE CARS I HAVE DROVE THOUSAND"S OF MILES WITH NO CHIPPING. I GUESS IT"S WHO AND HOW IT IS DONE,( JUST SAYING ).
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote