Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
ctvpa

Default Re: First powdercoating

FYI, every person who has had their wheels coated, it has cracked al all the stress points. The worst is where the spokes meet the tire rim, and around all the lug nuts. This happened in months.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #22
Racur96

I've been powder coating things for a few years & just bought out a pc business that ill be picking up next week so I can do larger items. It's just like the paint as far as prep work goes, there are quite a few different types of powder, you can also use primers fillers etc. IMHO if done right with the correct prep work they should hold up fine as it is a fairly flexible coating. This doesent mean finding the cheapest shop around that's trying to make a quick dollar. The stripping, cleaning, prep work, type of coating, bake time etc has a lot to do with how long and well the final product Will hold up.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Arlen

I got so addicted to powder coating that I bought a kit from Eastwood and coat my own now
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
FYI, every person who has had their wheels coated, it has cracked al all the stress points. The worst is where the spokes meet the tire rim, and around all the lug nuts. This happened in months.
My experiences do not agree with your comments.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I'll have to check but a couple of guys I know had it done a few years ago I'll have to ask them to check and see if it happened to them.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
MikeK

Quote:
Powder will get brittle if it is way overbaked. So will 2K of you use way too much hardener and then sunlamp the hexx out of it. "Operator error" as they say. It may also be a materials issue. I know Tiger powder is consistent. So is paint from major brand lines. Lesser materials may yield unknown gremlins.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
PetesPonies

I have powder coats a few things around my shop. Mostly for myself, but have done a few for customers. But not having a "perfect" area to spray the powder ( typical paint booth only ) I find it a helluva mess to deal with. Just me opinion.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
jerry shook

Logan. you made the statement IN YOU POST. PC WILL CHIP JUST LIKE PAINT WILL, IN FACT IT CAN EVEN CHIP EASIER. I DON"T DO POWDER COATING MYSELF BUT I DO HAVE IT DONE A LOT ON THE CARS I FIX AND THINK THAT"S THE ONLY WAY TO GO. I HAVE USED A HAMMER TO SHOW PEOPLE WHO ASK WHY I LIKE IT, HAVEN CHIPPED ANY THING YET. AND HAVE CARS I HAVE DROVE THOUSAND"S OF MILES WITH NO CHIPPING. I GUESS IT"S WHO AND HOW IT IS DONE,( JUST SAYING ).
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote