Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #61
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: My new T

If its not on a collision course with the washer in there, it should be OK for a while...The coils will run OK on the battery but the mag makes it like nite and day. Is the mag dead now... At idle you should get about 6-10 volts AC out of it... more at speed up to 32. ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #62
shaun

Not had chance to check mag yet been sorting out the radiator had one on them full flow ones, you know you put the water in the top and it flowed straight out on the bottom, I just checked the end float as best I could at the end of the shaft and it is somewhere around 0,095, I believe 0,040 is max, I will put the washer back for now, I can see now that I have it apart it had thin leather, not felt between it and the block, Its interesting to think how many of these old cars ended up with a external thrust washer, in rural Arkansas 40 years ago. "got no juice no problem, pass me that roll of leather"
shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #63
yachtsmanbill

Actually, in a perfect world, the book calls for .004 not .040 ... Doing an overhaul next winter eh??

That washer is actually correcting a worn main which wears with the thrust going aft. It rarely wears going forward, so I would guess the coil clearance will be kind of OK with the worn main giving too much clearance hence low output... You need to put a meter on it... Get a garden hose for a filler upper! ws ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote