Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #41
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: my 1925 tudor project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
tada! my signature works now! yeeeaaaaa
Some Questions Mr. Ford Man, What clearance did you give the pistons? Is your crank reground, or just polished out? Did they run your block through the cleaning chemical?

Thanks Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
fordman67

The bores were finished as per the piston manufacturers instructions that came with them. The crank micd perfect and within specs so it was mearly polished.Also luckily the babbit on mains and rods was very nice with plenty of shims in the rods and mains. And the block was only jetwashed not hot tanked because of babbit not getting repoured.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #43
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Moleskin Pyroxylin used on:
Cylinder
Cylinder Head
Generator Bracket
Front Cover
Air Intake and Manifold
(signed) C. W. Avery
Is it safe to assume "moleskin pyroxylin" is a shade of brown?
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
fordman67

I suppose if a 26-27 and...ok sure tan sounds like mole skin. For me I think black may be my color of choise...but I really want to do RED! I know it not correct but, that would really pop in all that black. Now I am going out to something to it even if it is wrong!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #45
Jack Innes

Here is a picture of a cutaway display engine at the Henry Ford Musueum. It is thought that the paint may be that applied in 1927.
Any reference to the color in Ford oriented catalogs is Moleskin Brown.
Pyroxlyn is the type of paint, it would likely fall in the enamel category today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model t cutaway engine.jpg (28.3 KB, 57 views)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #46
[email protected]

Is Pyroxlyn anything like a type of NitroCellulose Lacquer? Is it flammabe? Afterall it starts with the word "pyro".
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #47
fordman67

that is all that is left of the old junk pistons.
I got the rods cleaned and ready to hang pistons and rings.

Also got the interior out to get the window work going. Found that the drivers quarter window is missing the regulator(now I know why it would not roll down). Someone had the window held up with drywall screws.Also I am missing the upper window inner trim.

NOW the big question....I have the interior,engine/trans out,front end and suspension out. All that is left is fenders,running boards, body...the rear axle is slated to come out but have wanted to keep parts strewn about to a minimum.If i go ahead and tear it the rest of the way down I could powder the frame and strip it for paint and make it nice.BUT it will make my quick project at least a year away on completion.The whole reason I bought this car was it was supposed to be a fast turn around to drive! argh! I have big projects.THIS should not be one of them! At the end of the day if I dont do it right I will only hate that I did not go all the way...AM I CRAZY?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #48
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is Pyroxlyn anything like a type of NitroCellulose Lacquer? Is it flammabe? Afterall it starts with the word "pyro".
Yes! Probably unwise to spray the engine running with an open exhaust.

Pyroxylin

Overview

Pyroxylin lacquers and plastics served as a springboard for DuPont. They launched the company out of the powder business of the 19th century and into the forefront of the 20th century revolution in synthetic materials. Pyroxylin is a generic name for nitrocellulose compounds that form a film when dissolved in a mixture of ether and alcohol, from which plastics can be produced. In the years before World War II, DuPont marketed a host of pyroxylin-made consumer goods including upholstery, brass finishes, household cement, toiletries, and clothing accessories.
Although a cutting-edge plastic in the early 20th century, pyroxylin had been around a long time. During the Civil War, quick-drying pyroxylin film had been used as a covering on battlefield wounds. Further experimentation with the application of heat and pressure led to the development in 1870 of celluloid, the first pyroxylin plastic.
DuPont, seeking diversification based on its nitrocellulose experience, bought the International Smokeless Powder & Chemical Company, a manufacturer of both explosives and pyroxylin lacquers, in 1904. Six years later, the acquisition of the Fabrikoid Company involved DuPont in the manufacture of pyroxylin-based artificial leather. DuPont extended its line of finishes with the 1915 purchase of The Arlington Company and began production of Pyralin, a pyroxylin plastic used in combs, collars, cuffs, and automobile side curtains. The acquisition of the Viscoloid Company in 1925 deepened DuPont's involvement in pyroxylin plastics.
DuPont research improved each of these pyroxylin products significantly, making DuPont Fabrikoid the nation's premiere artificial leather and developing transparent plastics marketed by the DuPont Viscoloid Company. The company also invented Duco, a tough, fast-drying pyroxylin-based lacquer that became the standard finish on automobiles and a host of other consumer products through the 1930s. By World War II, DuPont had used its expertise in pyroxylin to help develop true synthetics like nylon, which were quickly displacing nitrocellulose-based substances.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #49
fordman67

WOW! That is interesting. Not stuff you learn in school.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
[email protected]

I use to use a lot of nitrocellulose lacquer when I was restoring/rebuilding guitars.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #51
fordman67

Well fellas....I have been busy on the ol gal. She is in a million pieces now.

Got the fenders,running boards,aprons,dash,etc...droped off parts to redi-strip for derusting and stripping.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #52
fordman67

frame pulled,prepped to be powdercoated

Just had to cut front crossmember section under engine mount out and weld in a non wallerd (sp) out,noncracked, proper thickness replacement before powder.

Hopefully I will get all the small pieces blasted and prepped for paint before the redi-stripped parts are ready.Frame and other powder coated parts hopefully will be done this week or next.ALL at the same time I need to get started on the engine and get rear end torn down.Also this weekend I am going to build a horse to jig the body up. I can get the repairs done on interior wood if I have any time....Wish me luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #53
[email protected]

Your build reminds me of the restore I did about 6 years ago on a 38 Ford pickup. Frame off is scary to begin with because you don't know what you'll find but once your into it, it's not so bad. Keep on trucking on. And keep us informed of your progress.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #54
fordman67

Honestly I had no intention of going this far wth this car. I was mearly goin to make it run and drive. But it needed more than i could talk myself into leaving. It will be worth it in the end.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #55
[email protected]

I hear you. It's my fear of screwing things up and not having it done for next summer that keep me from doing it on the touring I'm working on now. But I've also got a tudor and I'll be starting on it this next spring and just playing with it until next fall. Then I may see about doing quite a bit more on it next winter
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
fordman67

You just have to love having multiple projects. I would be happy having just one done.But really what is done? Will anything ever be done...probably not...so I will settle for driveable....yea, that sounds good.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
You just have to love having multiple projects. I would be happy having just one done.But really what is done? Will anything ever be done...probably not...so I will settle for driveable....yea, that sounds good.
Ha, you're obviously making an assumption that I'm capable of having multiple projects. I'm that guy that my Dad always said couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Multitasking has never been my forte. And to answer your question I believe done is when you either sell the project, total out the project or die. I know giving a project away can still get you sucked back into it. Oh and one other thing, I'm not married.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #58
fordman67

Obviously im the guy that can't stick with anything for long. All my projects are started.
I have finished plenty. Divorce got a couple...starting a family got the rest.Starting over now.the last were my 66gt 4speed mustang,67 cyclone GT 390,T speedster....I am much happier with what I am working on now.just got to get this T going.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #59
[email protected]

I owned a '69 GT 500 Cyclone Cobra Jet. It had a 429 with a 780 CFM double pumper holley and it scared the hell out of me. It had an automatic transmission and posi. I bought it for $600.00 in 1976 and traded it for a '72 Nova. I wish I had that Cyclone now. I figure it would be worth a hell of a lot more than that Nova. Of course the Cyclone road like a lumber wagon and refused to go past a gas pump. I wanted to keep it but my girlfriend at the time, exwife now, didn't like it and I had to part with it but for 3 months one summer I was a freaking hot rod god.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #60
fordman67

I love that"hot rod god" makes me smile.wow a cj cyclone.cials yea that for a nova...it prob at the time was a good idea.Luckily my second wife "gets" me and is supportive of my habbit as long as we have the financials to support it.The first wife could not hack it....divorce is SO worth it!