Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
BILLF/TRF

Default 2 blade fan

I got into a discussion with the guys at coffee this morning and they claimed that the Model A not only came originally with the 2 blade fan but could also be purchased with a 4 blade fan.

My research from the Model A Ford Judging Standards (1997) book says that only the 2 bladed fan was used ( a double or later--in 1931 a single thickness 2 bladed type).

However in some publications, Volume 1 "How to restore Your Model A" published by MAFCA and the "Green Bible" refer to commercial vehicles and trucks using 4 bladed fans at low rpms.

Were these 4 bladed fans original Model A equipment or retrofitted from later years (1932 and up?). Thanks, Bill
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: 2 blade fan

All Model A's and AA's came with 2 blade fans. The 4 blades were retrofitted from later years. But now it is known that old 4 blade fans fail too.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Joe K

My Model B engine on the Air Compressor came with a 4 blade fan. I'm thinking the 4 blade might have been developed late in the Model A period and applied as an accessory for those users concerned about overheating at low speeds.

I do know that Ford played around with the radiators on the AA trucks, with a so called "heavy duty" radiator available special order. Somewhere in the Service Bulletins they talk about a "mismatch" possible with this unit which will leave a gap between the hood and the radiator shroud.

I have only the reprint parts list (July 5, 1932) which was actually later than the Model A period. IIRC, this one shows a 4 blade fan available for use on the Model 18 (flathead.) Vince Falter shows us the Model A and B two blade fan (B-8600) only at http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/july1932ppl.htm

Joe K
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Milton

Joe, I thought your avatar looked familiar. It was a compressor like yours, albeit not nearly as nice, that got me back into Model As.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqUOKjsE1sLEYn+lBNq5+rocV!~~_12.jpg (41.0 KB, 31 views)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Joe K

Gosh. EVERYONE thinks this is mine. Sorry to disappoint. It's a pix I scarfed off the net from an auction house.

I do have a Gordon-Smith unit set up on a Model B engine, but not nearly as nice as this. Mine has a pair of 8" dia by 5' long "receivers" below which double as frame. And whoever made it spent some time on it to hand fabricate a radiator shroud, upper hood segment and a bit of "firewall" to bring it all together.

I promise: when I get home (I'm on a field trip for my company) I will take a pix of it and put that up instead.

Do you know how hard it is to get a pix of a Model A something that someone doesn't have a handle on?

Joe K
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
SteveB31

I doubt that Gordon Smith compressors came with 4 blade fans, because the donor engines and frames for Gordon SMith compressors came from Model A Fords they purchased for $25 all around the region, and all those Model A's came with 2 blade fans. Now, many two blade fans were replaced with replacement fans, many of which were 4 blades. I have quite a bit of original literature from Gordon Smith, and they aggressively purchased used Model a Fords to get what they needed to convert them to air compressors.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

The first Ford four blade (four cylinder) fan was introduced in 1933 for the model 46.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
TinCup

Both diamond block motors we pulled off a farm in northwest Oklahoma had 4 blade fans. The flywheel housing was dated 1937.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

The '32 used the same 2 blade fan as the late '31. Although the same fan it had been renumbered to B-8600. In 1933 a four blade fan was released (46-8600). The later fan became the replacement fan for '28-'34 (as shown in the Green Bible). After existing stocks ran out every time a dealership replaced a fan on a Model A it was with a 4 blade fan and this explains the large number of 4 blade fans when compared with the small number of '33-'34 four cylinder vehicles (mostly trucks) produced.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The '32 used the same 2 blade fan as the late '31. Although the same fan it had been renumbered to B-8600. In 1933 a four blade fan was released (46-8600). The later fan became the replacement fan for '28-'34 (as shown in the Green Bible). After existing stocks ran out every time a dealership replaced a fan on a Model A it was with a 4 blade fan and this explains the large number of 4 blade fans when compared with the small number of '33-'34 four cylinder vehicles (mostly trucks) produced.

Charlie Stephens
Keep in mind that this extended well into the 1950's which is likely when most were replaced.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Mark W.

While not exactly on subject - I've just started getting into A's and the original fan on my car is looking like it could fly away, or apart, at any time. Can anyone reccomend the 2-blade aluminum ones that are in the catalogs or are they more imported junk? - I like the original look as compared to a 4-blade fan - not that anyone at the local shows would know the difference but I will.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
RHD

Two blade modern aluminum fan blades are excellent and give no problems. Every car I have restored (40 + -) has a new Al. blade fitted. I would never use an 83 year old fan blade.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Joe K

+1 on above, although for a while in the early 90s it seemed like the taper wasn't being held to spec. Owners reported having to either "remake" the taper (possible if one has a lathe) or simply "mash" it into place by overtightening the holding nut.

For this reason I have held off getting an aluminum replacement fan preferring instead the four blade mentioned or their close relative the two blade version. (which seems identical except for only one double ended blade held by four bolts.)

Those two blade pressed blade fans (not the late 31 single thickness airplane fan) must have been a popular aftermarket thing. I've found three from various sources.

Joe K
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
KansasV8

http://The Model A engines that were used on Gleaner-Baldwin combines all had 4 blade fans and the shroud was part of the radiator. These engine were purchased from Ford by Gleaner starting in 1929. They were used thru the 1943 production.
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
While not exactly on subject - I've just started getting into A's and the original fan on my car is looking like it could fly away, or apart, at any time. Can anyone reccomend the 2-blade aluminum ones that are in the catalogs or are they more imported junk? - I like the original look as compared to a 4-blade fan - not that anyone at the local shows would know the difference but I will.
Remove as quickly as possible!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
What Mike said. Word is that the original steel fans are prone to cracking and when they let go they take the radiator and hood with them.
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Mark W.

Thanks guys - I am going to replace it before running the car again but wanted to make sure the aluminum one was not junk - I know there is a really nice 4-blade replacement available but I want to keep the car looking as original as can be - SAFE, but original.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

The old model 46 or 33-34 style four blade fans are just as dangerous as the old original two blade fans. I've had two of the old four blade fans to sling a blade, one took out a good radiator and damaged a nice new hood. The new aluminum original look alike fans are really good . I bought my first aluminum look alike fan from Snyders in the late seventies and it still performs flawlessly. I bought one in the ninties from another vender and it was out of balance. Hopefully the out of balance fans that some sold are off the market by now. The last one that I bought was already painted black and had a sticker that stated that it was balanced.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

There was a period some years ago that the blades weren't straight at times on the aluminum fans. I believe the problem has been corrected because all the aluminum fans I've checked for the past 4 years have been excellent in fit and balance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote