Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Joining a local club

Mr. Mike V.

Very interesting subject.

One can experience similar circumstances with participating members & non-participating, non-members of a partiular church organization.

Sometimes its the non-participating non-members who offer to perform church repairs for free when asked to do so, while the participating members offer to do the same work for a small fortune.

There are many wonderful & generous people most of us met in life who just do not like being in any kind of lime-light, or being among organized groups of people -- never met two (2) identical human beings.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Interesting comments made here.

I just thought that having knowledgeable people assist you on keeping your car running so you can enjoy it would make the few bucks membership a good deal by having a what amounts to a mechanic on call worth the price of admission.

Add to that being with people that have knowledge of and go to private collections such would be a bonus.

Join, don't join, it's just the reason he gave made no sense to me.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
Tinker

Mike, you are a good guy. It is very noble and should be done more often.

Seems to me the guy we have outted is very happy or content. Maybe not knowledgable, but not a lump.

Ive been in a few clubs, ffa and 4h and enjoyed them. If you call ill be there. Ive been around a few hotrod clubs, put an effort forward but the drama is not interesting. The people that i like are people i try to keep in contact with whenever.

Its interesting, as few as they are, the small amount of people that judge this nice guy without really knowning whom they are talking about.

Keep doing what your doing. Its appreciated and respected.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-05-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: No sarcasm mike.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
TonyM

I belong to a national club and two local chapters and I am glad of it. Several weeks ago I recieved an e-mail from the president of one of the local chapters I belong to berating me as to why I had not attended a non-car event that the club had participated in. I wrote him back explaining that the truth of the matter is that I was actually working on my Ford V-8 automobile--you know, the real focus of our club life; he did not respond.

Last edited by TonyM; 02-06-2013 at 07:45 AM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

I know fellas that think car clubs should be just a "GUY" thing. Lots of tinkering, GREASE, etc. Bill W. (And some wives don't give a HOOT about car stuff)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-06-2013 at 01:09 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
montanafordman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I know fellas that think car clubs should be just a "GUY" thing. Lots of tinkering, GREASE, etc. Bill W.
While I like that aspect - another nice benifit is that it gets my wife involved and excited a little more. When we have a family its something we will all be able to participate in. She usually has to work when we hold our monthly meetings but enjoys the newsletter and has had fun on some of the events we have gone to. It helps to have her see the positive side of the hobby and get into the social aspect rather than just see me spend our money and disappear into the garage to spend time with my "mistress" as she calls it. .

My local club has almost become a bit of a family in many ways. My wife and I lost our first daughter this year at birth and the support, cards and well wishes from the club was pretty amazing. I'm a rural guy at heart and grew up on a farm and now that I'm living in a city its a good way to get to know people while we are expiriencing a lifestyle and area that is not nearly as "neigborly" as what I was accustomed to growing up. My church and my model A group has helped me to refrain from running screaming back to Montana yearning for a change of setting. Farming is no longer an option for me and I love flying so the city is where the jobs are at. Connecting with like minded people helps keep me content in a time when I DON"T know everyone on my street, block, city, county. Of course my club has also helped me find original parts, given me invaluble advice on how to make repairs, where to buy parts the cheapest, and helped me with a few jobs that were outside of my expeirience or skillset and loaned me specialty tools that are otherwise pricey like spring spreaders and reamers. If you don't want to join a club thats fine, but realize that while you may not get along with everyone or appreciate or want to participate in ALL that they do you'll still be missing out.

Last edited by montanafordman; 02-06-2013 at 12:39 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Steve Plucker
BANNED

OK...So he did not join the club after the help he was given him...Question is...would you help him again if he so asked?

(I would)

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
brum1

I too belong to several local clubs and a national club, I know several A owners in my nieghborhood whom I've encouraged once or twice to join but i just recognized there just not that type of person. We still converse about the hobby frequently and help each other. They have more enthusiasn than some of our club members. Just learned to enjoy for what they are
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
OK...So he did not join the club after the help he was given him...Question is...would you help him again if he so asked?

(I would)

Pluck
Well, Pluck, I probably would, I'm a sucker & an easy touch. If I did help him again, he might feel GUILTY & join just to appease his conscience, you can't win for losin'! Bill W.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
jim1932

Funny that no one has touched on one of the main issues with clubs, they all take on a personality, due to geography i belong to two ev8 clubs, they are as different as can be, one is older and the meetings are very so ial, the wi es also come and socialize, the other club tends to be relatively younger. Working guys as opposed to retired guys. There are rarely spouses at the meetings and meetings are more about issues restoring cars. The members of each club enjoy it very much. But there are few that would be happy in the other club. Long winded way to say we all joined be ause we liked the type of club. But we. Ant assume it fits eveyone.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
BrianBurkert

A local fellow came into my shop to buy some bed wood for his AA express truck. I sold him the wood and offered help in the form of leads on parts, information, etc. I've been in the hobby for a few years and know local people... even another local guy with a well-restored express truck as a reference. I said there is also a local club that he might find handy, but I wasn't pushy. He seemed worried that his truck wasn't up to snuff to be in a club and I explained that the club may be a big help BEFORE the truck is finished. He still seemed intimidated, so I left it go. I'd be happy to help him whether he joins the local club or not.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
stainless steve

I grew up useing a IH ..h..and<<super m then when all boys off farm dad gets a 460 IH with powersteering and the works good times .
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote