Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
RcT

Default Save this car in Iowa, please...

ebay item 220879546022.

This person is auctioning off the chassis and running gear only for this car. It looks to be a very complete and solid tudor and he wants to build a rod. I know, it's his to do with as he pleases, but i would be great if this car could stay exactly as is. I have written to him, asking him politely to reconsider his intentions, but I would hope someone in the Iowa area could rescue this nice car. One would think there are bodies alone out there for his purposes, but in my perfect world, this car should be preserved.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
RcT

Default Re: Save this car in Iowa, please...

Well, I heard back from this gentleman, and he indicated he had tried to sell the complete car, but no takers. His business is Hotrodding, and he still is open to selling the complete car for $6500. Seems like a good deal, judging from the pictures alone, and he seems reasonable.

Please believe me, I have no other interest in this car other than to rescue it from dismantling. His name is "Mac" and he gave me his phone number (402)305-2863.

Someone, please come forward. I would if I had the space, money and vigor to take on another one.

Thank you,
Richard Tatoyan
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
RcT

This gentleman contacted me yet one more time and indicated he does restorations also, and thanked me for my help. But it's a business for him and he has to take care of things. He sounds like a very good person.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
CHuDWah

Check out his website - it's Mac's Ratz (http://www.macsratz.com/) and says he specializes in chopping and channeling. Pretty much tells the fate of this car if it isn't saved - ain't gonna be no "resto-rod"!! Unfortunately, I also don't have space, money or vigor to rescue it.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
WRA

Shame, wish I could save it but im in up to my neck on a 34...
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
tombia

Don't knock rod shops. I know of one in Pa. and one here in Mt. Pleasant Iowa. that would knock your socks off in the quality of their restorations. Most rodders are really picky.
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
montanafordman

Wow, Wish I had the money and space or I'd save it! Breaks my heart to think of that being cut up even if it were to turn into a different work of art. I'm not against hot rodders but it seems like the good ones have enough skill to take raw material and form it to their liking or use reproduction parts to the same effect Or they could at least take one much more far gone than that! I guess either fate is better than rusting into oblivion but I'll throw in a vote for it to be saved!
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
denis4x4

Hot rodders have many of the same feelings about reproduction parts that Model A purists have!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
RcT

I've got nothing against hotrods; I too, have seen some beauties. It is just THIS car... it has a beauty about it I would not change, clean it up, get it safe and drive it proudly. Cars like this are getting rare. There are plenty of parts cars that could be used for rods. And the price seems reasonable. I would buy it if I could and had the space, but one is my limit.

If any of you know of someone who is looking for a car, to me, this looks good. I do not know anything more about it than what I see on ebay. I just don't want to see this car changed. it's too pretty just as it is.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
CHuDWah

I'm not knocking hot rodders. I've been on both sides of the hobby - currently own two hot rods and no stockers. From Mac's website, it appears they do quality work, mostly with the severely chopped and channeled "rat rod" look - not my thing but to each his own. From that I assume (yeah, yeah, I know) this one will end up that way. I'm all for one being free to do as he pleases with his car but I also think there should be some respect for historic preservation. Complete unrestored cars are not in unlimited supply and they're getting rarer. The point is, why part this one out just to use the body for a hot rod? Why not use a body that's already been parted?
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Roadster62

Just a wild guess on my part but the seller has a Rod Shop, and the goal is to make a living and feed himself along with his family. Most customers, Rod Shop or "Fine Point" restorations want to spend as little as possable on the cost of the restoration or build. Time is money, start with the best you can, and the finished product will be better and produced quicker.The workers are happier working on good stuff not piecing together junk.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with RcT that this car is way too good to be cut up. Clean it, maybe wax it, lube all the moving parts and drive it as is. Just fix the mechanicals as needed and leave the body as it is. There's not many of these survisvors left.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #13
Mal Content

Talking Re: Save this car in Iowa, please...

Consider it saved. Howdy folks. This is my first post to this forum. I've been lurking for a couple of years. Never had a reason to post till now.
I purchased the above mentioned Model A. Had a couple of phone conversations with Mac and looked at some more photos that he sent and decided this was the car for me. For some reason it spoke to me. The mechanics will be restored so as to be driven on a regular basis. The rest will remain as is. I'm told this car has been parked in a barn since 1948. It was driven in parades till about 1979. Been sitting since. It's all there, unmolested except for the awful green repaint on the wheels.
I'm near Atlanta, Georgia and the car is in Iowa. Will be leaving Friday morning to bring it home. I'm so excited I can't stand it! Been a long time dream. Pictures to follow.
Mal
Mal Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #14
Aerocraft

Great job Mal! Have a terrific trip and please keep us posted...........

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Elcastor

Congrats Mal!! Job well done!
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
RcT

Mal, you are my hero and a gentleman. For some reason, this car spoke to me also, and I am happy (and a bit envious) that this car will remain as is. I noticed this was your first post in the forum; please do not make it the last.

I would very much like to see more pictures of the car when you can. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Thank you again.

Richard Tatoyan
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Mike

RcT,
Thank you for pushing and exposing this great car!!

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Deluxe Delivery

Mal,
We salute you sir ! Thank you for stepping up ! My heart sinks every time I see a complete running gear with all fenders for sale...Another one bites the dust. Glad to know this one will be saved as is !
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Tinker

Nice one.

Enjoy Mal, very good buy!

RcT I think you may have found a new nitch. Finding old iron and matching to a good owner. "Ford matchmaker .com" ????
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
RcT

Mal, you may want to check out those wheels a little closer... somebody correct me if I am wrong, but they look to be a faded apple green, which may have been a original optional or dealer-added color.

My arm is getting sore from patting myself on the back... I took a little criticism from the other model A site for getting involved, but I don't care. I'm just pleased that it has been rescued from the saw, and better yet, you intend to leave it as is. Thank you again.