Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default 1954 Ford overdrive control cable connection

I'm putting a new wiring harness on the O/D on the Ranch Wagon to complete the rewire project I did last winter. Also putting in a new kickdown switch, gas pedal and Overdrive control cable (The old cable was broke so the car was essentially in o/d all the time....of course the car is taken out of o/d by the governor at low speeds.)

That's all well and good, and it should be a straightforward process, BUT when disconnecting the old original (broken) overdrive cable, I've come upon sort of a clamp that secures the cable to the housing of the tranny/overdrive unit right before the inner wire of the control cable connects to the "actuater arm" (or whatever it's called) on the o/d unit. The clamp is right about where the outer coil of the control cable ends.

For the life of me I can't find where or how that clamp attaches to the housing. I see no screws or bolts attaching it to the housing. I'm using ramps rather than a lift so I can't see as well as I would if the car was on a lift. The clamp is for securing the cable and it's attached to the cable tight.

I thought maybe the clamp was some sort of spring clip and the cable would come right out, but the clamp is really tight on the cable and the cable won't budge from it at a all. Just a simple little mounting issue, but I can't see how it's supposed to work. Any help appreciated.

Any other suggestions welcome too.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote