Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Nosetime

Default Dilemma in my 29 motor resurection

Well, my plans to just "run it" on my '29 motor with unknown history have finally come to a more sensible plan. My dad and I got it running and it runs and sounds great, thanks to this board! Guy I bought it from found it in a barn in Riverside , Ca and just wanted the body for a hotrod..so I bought the rest. Did all the standard "de-mothball an old engine stuff" and feel really lucky to have a solid, what appears to be, rebuilt motor. I decided to pull it and check the mains, rods and put a head on it, paint block, etc... I had soaked the block a few days with Evaporust, but today finally got the Head off (after 5 hrs of work ) and find all the water passages clogged with who the hell knows what? Is it from a mouse or something, there is weird stuff in there and what should I do to flush it out? Plastic, wood, rust, etc..
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: Dilemma in my 29 motor resurection

Well you can get a flexible cable such as an old speedometer cable etc... pieces of wire or such fiddle around in there and try to break as much loose as you can with the head off. Use an air hose and blow it out. Be sure to cover the cylinders so crud doesn't get in them.
Put the head back on and flush it out with water by putting a hose in the side inlet full blast along with air from the compressor. Prepare for a lot of water to blast out of the top outlet.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Guy drained & stored his A, left the cap OFF & mice filled the block, head, & radiator tank, with cotton from an Old Couch!
Bill W.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Put the head back on and do the evaporust again for a much longer time and see what dissolves. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
glenn in camino

The Evapo Rust in my 31 sport coupe created little about ( .060 granules ) that clogged up the overflow tube. The radiator started overflowing like the block was cracked. I took I took it all apart and found that the block was not cracked. It was just that the radiator overflow tube was clogged. I had the radiator boiled and rodded out and I'm putting it back together now.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
100IH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If the over flow tube gets plugged after chemical or mechanical cleaning, the same granules are in the radiator tubes. The tubes are smaller and get trapped more easily.
The cleaning processes never remove all impacted rust. More junk will loosen up while driving. That is why I would use a Gano filter in the upper hose to catch the rust for at least a few hundred miles. Access is limited in the coolant jackets.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosetime View Post
Well, my plans to just "run it" on my '29 motor with unknown history have finally come to a more sensible plan. My dad and I got it running and it runs and sounds great, thanks to this board! Guy I bought it from found it in a barn in Riverside , Ca and just wanted the body for a hotrod..so I bought the rest. Did all the standard "de-mothball an old engine stuff" and feel really lucky to have a solid, what appears to be, rebuilt motor. I decided to pull it and check the mains, rods and put a head on it, paint block, etc... I had soaked the block a few days with Evaporust, but today finally got the Head off (after 5 hrs of work ) and find all the water passages clogged with who the hell knows what? Is it from a mouse or something, there is weird stuff in there and what should I do to flush it out? Plastic, wood, rust, etc..
you are lucky to get the head off in 5 hr. it took me 3 weeks to get it off on a running car

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote