Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Found problem with engine

I have a 1911 engine and wanted to put the new cam 280 in to improve the performance won't work without a lot of work. My engine sound like a concret mixer when I started it up and had me fooled what the sound was from. The lifters had plenty of free travel I though but the lobes on the cam are so large that they slam the lifter up against the block and what a noise that will fool you. I had the engine apart 5 times trying to find the problem. I ended up putting the stock cam back in and the T now runs nice.I still don't know how much you will half to releave the block so the lifters will not hit the block. If you have a early block you better use a 250 cam or you are in for some grinding the block for the lifters to clear. My engine is in the car and I don't want to pull it to tear it complety down to install the 280 cam for now.Anyway lifters can be a problem with the 280 cam I want you to be aware of this so you don't have the same problem I did. Its no fun just a learning experence that you won't forget.I as yet don't know how clearence is needed for the cam on the lifters,But watch this very close.After this experence I am ready to go on a long walk to get my head back together.I know I'm a dumb redneck but never did know how dumb till now. Real bad I guess.My old dog is always laughing at me, now I know why.