Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Jimmy W

Default 1956 dord fairlane

I have a 1956 ford fairlane with the fordomatic transmission in it. The Transmission started to leak. I drop it and replace two seals and put the transmission back into the car. NOW the transmission will not shift into any gears. Any Help?? Thank You
Jimmy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Jimmy W

Default Re: 1956 dord fairlane

I was talking with a buddy of mine and he was saying the front pump was bad. I told but I drove it onto the ramps to drop the transmission to replace the seals. Does think he is right? Are there any way - easy way to check to see?? Thank You
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
darrell

was the torque converter in place in the pump when you put it in.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Jimmy W

We removed the torque converter to replace the seal around it (big round rubber) and then we put the torquue converter into the bell houseing and rebolt to the car. A buddy of mine was helping me with this. Now he is tell me that the front seal is bad. I am very new to re doing transmission. Any way to check? Thank You for you help Darell
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Jimmy W

I do know that the fly wheel was free spinning and not lock into place. should it been lock/not moveing before we bolted it up.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Motorhead6

"NOW the transmission will not shift into any gears. Any Help.

1. When you disassemble the torque converte(TC), the refill will be about 12 qts. Hopefully, you refilled and checked the level after starting and let idle. Since the thing will still be cold, it should not read "Full", but should be at or above the lowest hole in the dipstick while idling.
2. Check to be sure your jack did not crush the oil pan up against the oil pick up point in the tranny. Simply put, just look to make sure the pan does not have a concave shape to it.

"I do know that the fly wheel was free spinning and not lock into place. should it been lock/not moveing before we bolted it up"

It is normal for the TC to freely rotate independent of the flywheel before you insert the attaching bolts. But, hopefully you were careful about making sure the TC was correctly oriented into the front pump drive cogs. Since one cannot see this, you have to go by feel and be sure it drops in and rotates freely. It should drop in to the point that you could see space between the TC and the flywheel so that you had to pull the TC out toward the flywheel to seat it into the flywheel.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
darrell

if the flywheel was free I would thing the converter was in place or else it would be janned. when you replaced the torque conv,rubber did you keep everything in place inside.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Jimmy W

Yes we have put 12 qt into the transmission. I unbolted the drive shif from the back and I can turn it freely.... the cooling line are run to the rad. so I removed one at a time and nothing.....no fuild. So that tells me that the pump is not pumping-right? Does anyone agree????? This is not what I was wanting to find out.
Thank You Jimmy
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
lowandratty

Talking Re: 1956 dord fairlane

Ok when you put the converter back into the trans. you would have had to turn it and it drops into place, the end of the converter has to lock into the front pump. If it was not locked into place it should have been jammed into the flywheel, and would have been very hard to line up the converter bolts in the flywheel, very hard to turn the converter to line them up.
Either you did not bolt the converter to the flywheel or you trashed the front pump and converter when you jammed it up, the only way to find out is to start taking it back apart. Maybe you wil get lucky and find you did not bolt the converter back to the flywheel, Best case you just overlooked that.
Worst case is you need a new front pump and converter, pull it out take it to a trans. guy and let him or her look at it, let them put you a pump and converter in it and then you put it back into the car.
I hope it is a simple thing, but if not it was a lesson learned, and it cost you some cold hard cash.
Best of luck, Ken in Va.
P.S. If you trashed it, just sell it to me.
lowandratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Jimmy W

thanks for the relpy. this may help out here, I do remember when we put the TC into place you could just spin it around and around. My buddy that was helping me said he was not sure if it should be locked or just spining around. He called somebody and they told him it donot make a diff. So you are saying it should have been lock in place not spinning? My little girl would kick my butt if I sold "her" car. but thanks for the help - Jimmy
Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

When you re-installed the trans to the converter, you did not properly align the converter hub "dogs" into the slots in the front pump.
Now, this may have damaged your converter hub and I would check to see if there is any cracking to the flexplate and/or elongating of the mounting holes due to the hub not being fully engaged properly.
If you have broken the "dogs" off your converter hub, you will also need to replace your front pump as it will be torn up inside.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
lowandratty

Any progress on the ford trans, just curious if you have found the problem.
lowandratty is offline   Reply With Quote