Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
leon bee

Default 53 Mercury Valve Spring Color?

I'm putting a nice engine back together using all the old parts I can. Until I soaked all the valve stuff in carb cleaner, had no idea some springs were blue and some bare steel. And until I get em all clean don't know if it's half blue, half steel. Then, if it's half and half, is one exhaust and the other intake?

Does it matter? I have the 49-51 Ford green book, it does mention the rotating valves for 51, (like this Merc has), but nothing about color. That book also shows same part number for rotating/non-rotating, right after it says they are different length.

The blue and bare ones I do have clean seem to be the same length. And they are all shorter than some old non-rotating ones I have here. Any info appreciated, Thanks!
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 53 Mercury Valve Spring Color?

The 53 has short springs due to the Rotators on the valves. Installed height should provide 45/50 lbs of spring pressure on the seat.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
rotorwrench

I think the 1BA springs were blue originally. I purchased a set back when I rebuilt my first 1951 Mercury but I bought them before tear down. After I disassembled the engine, I found that the early 51 cars still had the non-rotator valves and they had green springs. I reused them since they all checked OK with a spring tester. I still have that set of blue ones somewhere.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
leon bee

Thanks, guys. I got 5 blue springs and eleven bare steel. No sign the engine's ever been apart, but who knows?
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
Thanks, guys. I got 5 blue springs and eleven bare steel. No sign the engine's ever been apart, but who knows?
Take Ol Rons advice. Within reason, it doesn't matter what color any valve spring is. What matters is the loaded height.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I would find someone who has a tester. Most machine shops do. They just test tension at proper height. If they pass and they are all within unloaded height limitations, they are good to go no mater what color they are. They are definitely different than the 78 series and OBA series springs so they have to be tested to the type of valves you have. Some folks convert rotators back to the old type valve set ups but I wouldn't do that unless all the rotator stuff was worn out. Parts are more available for them now but the earlier types are easier to find and generally less expensive due to that. The rotator set up was a good set up but it was only used from 1951 through the end of flathead V8 engine production.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote