Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
WHITEY

Default EARLY...1932 Frame...History?

I was lucky enough to get an EARLY 1932 frame in a trade a while back and it dosent have a VIN #. I ve checked the known 3 places. Thanks to some very knowledgeable ford guys, we were able to i.d. it as early, and get a good bit of the history on early ford frames. I am a bit curious as to why there are no numbers.I dont see a reason to, NOT stamp a frame...intending to use them as replacements, for a frame they were NOT sure of and was NOT proven.....so I rulled out an early dealer replacement part....

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Mr 42

Default Re: EARLY...1932 Frame...History?

was the early 32 frame stamped with a Vin number at all??
I guess its an early frame

Henry put the first Vin on the gearbbox.....
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Andy

Pre- production prototype? Sure is an early one. How about some pics of the front crossmember? Is it a V8 or B frame? Different front crossmembers. Care to share the history that you know? I would have loved to see the body.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Harms Way

My Brother once owned a NOS 1932 Ford frame,.... It came from a old dealership in North Dakota,..... It was of course a replacement frame,.. and it had no numbers anywhere.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
just 32

I have this same type frame under my early fordor. My fordor was a one owner car with 34,000 original miles when I purchased it in Maine back in 2008. I have researched this in Dave Rehor's book and spoken with him to learn this was a short design run during the last 2 weeks of March 1932. The matching serial numbers (frame & trans) on this fordor are only 3 digits (*18-949*) which confirm this as "super early" by the book. I suggest Dave's books for all interested in the history of the "32".
Glenn
just 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
WHITEY

Andy, It dosent make sense that it would be a NON- numbered EARLY dealership replacement,so Im guessing that some EARLY frames were just not stamped, or a protype. It came from Nova scotia, so Im curious as to whether or not frames were produced at Walkerville.The books say production around late march early april.

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
WHITEY

Thank you just 32, this is the info I was hoping someone would come up with, I am reading the David Rehor books right now. There is just so much info out there from guys like yourself who own the cars and have studied, and researched them. The Maine connection to Nova Scotia is a little coincendental, maybe not. So your frame is under the 1000 #...that is early

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
WHITEY

So somewhere between (*18-2*) and (*18-949*) Ford changed from the transmission Cross member(straight across ) to the K-member with legs and built in pedal shaft. Does anyone know how far into the production the cross member frame lasted, and the VIN. I figure my frame would have been produced between the last of those and frame(*18-949*)

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just 32 View Post
I have this same type frame under my early fordor. My fordor was a one owner car with 34,000 original miles when I purchased it in Maine back in 2008. I have researched this in Dave Rehor's book and spoken with him to learn this was a short design run during the last 2 weeks of March 1932. The matching serial numbers (frame & trans) on this fordor are only 3 digits (*18-949*) which confirm this as "super early" by the book. I suggest Dave's books for all interested in the history of the "32".
Glenn
just32 Glenn, I rebuilt the engine out of that (18-949) car. If you want to e-mail me or call (207-582-0703) I'll tell ypu all about it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Steve/IL

It appears that the brake/clutch pedal bracket is rivited to the K member. If so, it's an early frame. Ford made numerous frame changes in 32. Was this frame under a car or does it show evidence of a body or parts ever being bolted on? With no VIN in the usual places, it is likely a replacement frame. Even if it was under a car, it could still be a replacement that someone simply never stamped the original VINs.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
WHITEY

After reading more about all the changes in 32, Im guessing anything was possible. Im just not sure Ford would have made early replacement frames and sent them to dealships, all during a 2 month period that they were planning on changing the design. Im thinking it would have been a better buisness decision to change the existing frames and used them for production. Did Ford think to make an early replacement frame, send them to dealerships to back up the early cars, or would they have just said "recall" and modified the frame with the bolt in pedals.

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
Harms Way

1932 was a short production run with a lot of in year changes,....Yes it might be a prototype frame,... or any other number of possibilities,... But like I said, the NOS Frame My Brother had still had the original parts tag on it,.. (Wish we would have kept it !),.. and it had no numbers anywhere .

It had no inner support panel in the kick up areas, But it's been so long ago, thats about the biggest detail I can remember,.... If Ford was pumping parts out, for repair to Ford Dealers all over the country,.. I would stand to reason, that it might include replacement frames, Even if it were only a dozen or so per state. (IMHO)

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Ray Parson

i have a 32 frame with the rear support panel on the outside not the inside i have had many 32 frames never one like this it was under the 32 pickup i have from California how many are like this
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Kahuna

I have frame numbered B1683
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harms Way View Post
I wonder what that pile of frames is worth?
decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I have frame numbered B1683
That number does not fit into the sequence of numbers used. Is it a real number? AB 5,000,000 and on for B,s and 18-1 and on for V8's
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #17
SUHRsc

In regards to the braces added to the later '32 frames....

77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On replacement frames...none could have had numbers, because the number was stamped on the assembly line to match the engine/trans unit being installed. The car's master serial number was the one on the power unit and the frame numbers were backups. Frames assembled into cars at factory should all have numbers, including Canadian ones, as far as I know...Canadian A's did not get frame numbers.
After all this time, who can say on this thing. With all the early '32 troubles, the stamping guy could have been busy helping wrestle some mis-drilled part into place or scratching or sneezing...I doubt that anyone was available to notice minor problems with all the major problems they had!
Suhr...REPRO Service Bulletins?? Are your standards slipping?
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
No, my wallet is
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #20
jambottle

this is funny for me Whitey,i thought i was looking in the wrong location for frame #`s. i looked everywhere on that frame i traded you for #`s.Maybe Mel can come on here and let us know if there were any #`s on the 32 roadster i sold him.If i remember correctly,i could not find #`s on that frame either.I have another 32 frame here with no #`s on it either.I called a friend that i sold a 32 roadster to years ago and he says that his has numbers.My best guess is that since ford of canada did not stamp the modle A frames;it took them a while into the 32 production before they started stamping the 32 frames..all canadian 32 stamped frames start with a "C".Chris

Last edited by jambottle; 06-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
jambottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #21
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Parson View Post
i have a 32 frame with the rear support panel on the outside not the inside i have had many 32 frames never one like this it was under the 32 pickup i have from California how many are like this
I have heard of this before, but have not ever seen one personally. I have seen 32 frames that had broken clear through at the rear kickup and had "fish plates" added to the outside. I would suspect that Ford or more likely an after-market supplier? may have made retrofit external plates that could be installed without taking the vehicle apart ("Band Aid") but have not ever seen anything in print. The Service Bulletin is clearly regarding the factory change to add the second channel on the INSIDE, which also requires a shorter rear cross-member. The Bulletin states that they are welded in place, but I think they were riveted in with the cross-member? (Ford did not weld anything else on a 32 frame?)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #22
barryfromvictoria

I have never seen a Canadian frame with the numbers stamped in 3 places. Some frames are barely readable especially if they are rusted bad. Most were lightly stamped. As they didn`t use any backing when stamping, [like hitting a spring], it would make it difficult to get a deep stamp. I`ve used acid to bring out some no`s with about 75% success.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #23
WHITEY

Quote:
On replacement frames...none could have had numbers, because the number was stamped on the assembly line to match the engine/trans unit being installed. The car's master serial number was the one on the power unit and the frame numbers were backups. Frames assembled into cars at factory should all have numbers, including Canadian ones, as far as I know...Canadian A's did not get frame numbers.
After all this time, who can say on this thing. With all the early '32 troubles, the stamping guy could have been busy helping wrestle some mis-drilled part into place or scratching or sneezing...I doubt that anyone was available to notice minor problems with all the major problems they had!
Thanks Bruce your knowledge is invalueable, seems were are getting to the bottom of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHRsc View Post
No, my wallet is
Well that website turned out very nice Zach, did you guys build it, if not looks like a good use of the wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambottle View Post
this is funny for me Whitey,i thought i was looking in the wrong location for frame #`s. i looked everywhere on that frame i traded you for #`s.Maybe Mel can come on here and let us know if there were any #`s on the 32 roadster i sold him.If i remember correctly,i could not find #`s on that frame either.I have another 32 frame here with no #`s on it either.I called a friend that i sold a 32 roadster to years ago and he says that his has numbers.My best guess is that since ford of canada did not stamp the modle A frames;it took them a while into the 32 production before they started stamping the 32 frames..all canadian 32 stamped frames start with a "C".Chris
Chris its been awhile, good to talk with you man,how have you been.Really neat you chimed in here, I did not know till Bruces post that the modle A frames were not stamped, SO that makes sense that the 32 C frames did not get stamped or started late.

Good stuff thank you guys.

Stefan
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
WHITEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard (EV8G) View Post
I have heard of this before, but have not ever seen one personally. I have seen 32 frames that had broken clear through at the rear kickup and had "fish plates" added to the outside. I would suspect that Ford or more likely an after-market supplier? may have made retrofit external plates that could be installed without taking the vehicle apart ("Band Aid") but have not ever seen anything in print. The Service Bulletin is clearly regarding the factory change to add the second channel on the INSIDE, which also requires a shorter rear cross-member. The Bulletin states that they are welded in place, but I think they were riveted in with the cross-member? (Ford did not weld anything else on a 32 frame?)
Richard, thanks for the plate info...with so many recalls, its almost as if the service guys were building the cars a second time and NOT just servicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
I have never seen a Canadian frame with the numbers stamped in 3 places. Some frames are barely readable especially if they are rusted bad. Most were lightly stamped. As they didn`t use any backing when stamping, [like hitting a spring], it would make it difficult to get a deep stamp. I`ve used acid to bring out some no`s with about 75% success.
Barry, makes sense that this could have had a number and just not be ledgeable at this time...Ive read about the ACID process, BUT am very interested to hear how its done, give it a try....Maybe you should post a TECH...

Thank you

Stefan

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On the plates...inner ones from factory were just spot-welded, I think just to keep them in the rail until the rivets went in. I would guess that ones installed at dealer were just riveted, and I have seen two frames with that stuff bolted, interesting because all of the bolts had odd tapered heads...could the factory have actually allowed bolted construction and supplied special bolts when early frames were reworked??? Seems odd that 2 had the same oddball bolt heads.
I have a fairly early pickup frame, also bolted back there, with formed EXTERNAL platyes at kick-up area and early crossmember/no reinforcements inside. The external plates are fully formed channel fitting over the frame perfectly, so I think most likely factory made. Don't know serials...one frame was in a friend's stash, and pickup frame was heavily pitted.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
On the plates...inner ones from factory were just spot-welded, I think just to keep them in the rail until the rivets went in. I would guess that ones installed at dealer were just riveted, and I have seen two frames with that stuff bolted, interesting because all of the bolts had odd tapered heads...could the factory have actually allowed bolted construction and supplied special bolts when early frames were reworked??? Seems odd that 2 had the same oddball bolt heads.
I have a fairly early pickup frame, also bolted back there, with formed EXTERNAL platyes at kick-up area and early crossmember/no reinforcements inside. The external plates are fully formed channel fitting over the frame perfectly, so I think most likely factory made. Don't know serials...one frame was in a friend's stash, and pickup frame was heavily pitted.
Did you (try to) take one apart??? I was not aware of the spot-welding... If the external formed plates came from Ford, there should be something in the parts books??? There was alot of "aftermarket" stuff made for commercial/trucks, so these external plates were probably some of that?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The '32 parts book is near worthless for following changes, and lots more stuff was never mentioned in the Bulletis either. I think everyone was too busy fixing problems to properly document parts changes! If the parts book (I have the common early one and the December one, as well as body, hardware, and a BUNCH of foreign ones) shows one part, and the restoration books tell you about the 5 variants, the next one you find at the fleamarket will be a 6th type. Even the paper varies...the Cole column in V8 times discussed the several different owner's manuals for 18's. I lent my little collection to a friend and he immediately discovered ANOTHER variant.
The inside reinforcement plates seem to have a spotweld on the forward area at least. Never took apart a frame except for one with massive kickup mods, but I assume this was an assembly convenience. Whatever it is, I don't think it was meant to be structural.
On the frames...numerous early variants, probably numerous different fixxit kits for both factory and dealer. Only one variant is really in the bulletins, I believe some others were covered in service letters.
Parts book is pathetic on frame stuff...frame assembly listed is presumably the late one made after several variants, but number has no suffix to indicate that it was developed over time and no earlier parts are shown. Front crossmember has a b suffix, but no clues on the a version, license bracket and 2 lengths or rear crossmember are indicated but nothing else!
And...shock absorber are reinforcement shows an R suffix, meaning replacement part only, so it is maybe just the dealer service piece, rather than the production one??
'32's are really badly served by the parts books!
Whatever the external braces are, they are on a frame with no inside ones...I think the lack of documentation on them is actually meaningless because so much is clearly missing from the book.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #28
just 32

Photo of my very early V8 Fordor ( sn# *18-949*) just out of the barn in Maine in 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932fordfourdoor2.jpg (33.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
just 32

Photos of the built in pedals with the unusual k-member on my very early V8 fordor.....built during the last 2 weeks of March 1932
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deuce 095.jpg (63.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg deuce 094.jpg (60.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
WHITEY

I had a house in Freeport, right up the road from where I think that pick was taken. I remember the sedan being for sale but did NOT
know it to be an early car, just VERY nice that's a great car.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
svm99

I used a piece of a K-member to repair my frames k-member. The flange is relieved around the battery area and I had not seen another one like it. It just happened to be a piece I acquired. It appears from the pictured frame that the relief in the K-member flange is early. Am I right in this assumption?
Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #32
32phil

As I have posted before, I have a Standard V-8 sedan, low mileage ( 48 K ) serial # 18-203120 I believe this to be one of the last 32 Fords built. The crazy part is it too came from Maine ( Skowhegan ? I'm not sure of the spelling ) What are the chances of one of the first and one of the last 32s wound up in Maine ??
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote